Author Topic: fasciation " toledo mango seeding "  (Read 752 times)

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
fasciation " toledo mango seeding "
« on: September 07, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »
I looking at my mango seeding project run into fasciation mango tree

I thinking about trying to grafted on a different plant in the future
 I forget to ask if be better cut off the other sprouts some smaller one grow better no competition
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:07:51 PM by Nyuu »

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: fasciation " toledo mango seeding "
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »
I used to keep seedlings in hopes to fruit them to see it comes up a superior tasting variety. They took long time to grow. Then i realised i could fruit the seedling a bit sooner if i graft the scion of the seedling to established mango tree. The vigor of the established tree will help the seedling scion grow fast but i guess the waiting time for fruiting won’t change.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 04:30:07 PM »
I used to keep seedlings in hopes to fruit them to see it comes up a superior tasting variety. They took long time to grow. Then i realised i could fruit the seedling a bit sooner if i graft the scion of the seedling to established mango tree. The vigor of the established tree will help the seedling scion grow fast but i guess the waiting time for fruiting won’t change.
I have a toledo mango tree and it seed polyonymous so other sprouts will most likely clones . Only reason of a doubt is fasciation sometimes supposedly happens from viral and bacteria sometimes but maybe genetics as well

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
Ok got it. Fasciation is a rare phenomenon of an abnormal growth pattern of the stem caused by probably a mutation or trauma or viral infection etc due to various causes. Does fasciation actually change the variety, will it bea different variety altogether? or is it just aberration of certain genes of the plant?

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 05:12:51 PM »
Ok got it. Fasciation is a rare phenomenon of an abnormal growth pattern of the stem caused by probably a mutation or trauma or viral infection etc due to various causes. Does fasciation actually change the variety, will it bea different variety altogether? or is it just aberration of certain genes of the plant?
If the Fasciation was caused by the genetics then it would be a new variety .but if it bacterial or viral causes / etc no it be some variety. But Agrobacterium microbe is a bacteria at can cause a natural GMO tree .
Fasciation may end up hindering the tree more than anything else but I think it pretty cool and kind of rare.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 12:16:49 PM »
Update once I started separating seeding found out fasciation maybe cost by injury or disease

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk