Author Topic: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms  (Read 50423 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:13 AM »
I've never seen anything like it. I'm getting thoughts of wanting to taste it. I'm also wondering if there are palms with similar but bigger fruit. Thank you for your postings, Hawaii is surely an incredible fruit tree place.
I think they do get bigger...this was one of those... first time experimental early harvest failures that i do.. :( .  cause I wanted to eat the sweet translucent jelly that it becomes at a certain stage, before it solidifies.
This book: Palms Sentinels For Amazon Conservation. By Michael Goulding and Nigel Smith..is cool...it says the pulp around the seed is edible too when ripe..
Here's some pics from the book.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »
Yes salaks are vicious thorny and once punctured the wound hurts for a long time. I think they have some kind of toxin they inject you with that makes it quite painful and difficult to heal. They are best planted well away from usual walking paths. The fronds that fall on ground are very thorny as well as the trunks.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
How about this (baby steps)

Step 1, find a Salak that will reliably produce plenty of fruit in sub-tropical South Florida, USA; it would be great if a local nursery, such as Excalibur, were to sell it. Something tells me that finding a tree like this may not be an easy feat.

Step 2, once such a Salak tree is finally found, have the University of Florida genetically modify it, to produce a Salak palm tree that has none of those "vicious thorns."

In my yard I have a few, beautiful palm trees with extremely dangerous thorns that once sent someone to the hospital, after a severe puncture. So, if I were to find a productive, quality fruit, Salak Palm for my area, I would probably be getting it in a jippy.

I eat Palm thorns for breakfast, lunch and dinner baby.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:21:50 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
The best way to get a nursery to consider stocking edible palms is to have a bunch of people calling them requesting edible palms. Getting thornless salaks may be easier as they already exist. But don't know how good their fruit quality is or if they would ever survive in Florida.
Oscar

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
Chilean Wine Palm has been mentioned (Jubaea), but not the parajubaea mini-coconuts: Parajubaea Torallyi and Parajubaea Cocoides. Came across the later reading the "lost crops of the incas". Former might be a better bet.

Hybrids of jubaea/parajubaea and butia have also been described, but I can't find a report on the fruit/nut result.
Shane

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
Speaking of salak, anyone know how red salak compares to Bali salak? I'm growing both.

Funky plants they are, every stage from germination on up. They even spend a couple weeks or so looking like a dead stick after breaking the soil before opening up their first leaves. And they start putting out those thorns at the same time - major defense adaptations. I wonder if they're evolutionary adapted to defend against large rattites (Moa, etc) like P. crassifolius was shown to have?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »
I grow red and white bali salak.  To me the red taste better...a little more aromatic...a little bit more red #40 tasting. Kind of a slight sweet red candy flavor. 
Maybe it cause they look so cool though...and how new they are to me...that always makes it taste better. :)

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
I grow red and white bali salak.  To me the red taste better...a little more aromatic...a little bit more red #40 tasting. Kind of a slight sweet red candy flavor. 
Maybe it cause they look so cool though...and how new they are to me...that always makes it taste better. :)

micah, you're very lucky, enjoy, and thank you for your wonderful description of eating a red salak, definitely exotic.

I'm jealous, in a good/positive way, that you guys in Hawaii are way more ahead than us folks here in S. Florida as far as 'Edible Fruit Palms' go.
In my opinion, 'Edible Fruit Palms' in South Florida is an industry that is just waiting to explode.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
Palms are awesome!
Yes I'd say big $ in palms...
in Hawaii know most residents don't know what salaks are...or most edible palms.  That dwarf acai will probably be very popular.  Although I'm not sure if it taste good...with out sweetener.

It's all pretty new to me too very exciting. :D
Those palms have a place in the orchard...to me as a companion plant..mulch maker.
Best

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »
This article makes me wonder whether it's true that 'Malayan Dwarfs' are the best coconuts on Earth. It also makes me want to go out and find out about the qualities of this variety. Oh yeah, it also makes me want to find one and eat it.

“Crazy for Coconuts” (Miami Beach natives, Florida, USA, business owners, brother-sister team Mike and Danielle Zig) The Miami Herald; newspaper article by: Maria Tettamanti; Feb. 5, 2014.

Interviewer:…Your Malayan Dwarf coconuts hail from a 110-year-old family-run farm off a remote island near the coast of El Salvador. What makes them so special?

My friend’s great-grandfather had a taste for the finer things in life, from cars, planes to coconut water. He specifically chose these coconuts because they are the best-tasting on Earth.

Coconut water is clearly having a moment; what are the health benefits?

It’s basically getting an IV sans the needle – it’s loaded with potassium, electrolytes and low on sugar…

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »
Palms are awesome!
Yes I'd say big $ in palms...
in Hawaii know most residents don't know what salaks are...or most edible palms.  That dwarf acai will probably be very popular.  Although I'm not sure if it taste good...with out sweetener.

It's all pretty new to me too very exciting. :D
Those palms have a place in the orchard...to me as a companion plant..mulch maker.
Best

Dwarf acai is not one that's easy to eat out of hand. The pulp around the seed is extremely thin. Takes some mechanization and a whole lot of seeds to remove and come up with a sizeable amount of pulp to eat. Yes, a little bit of sweetener mixed in with the pulp is nice as it tends to be a bit bitter otherwise.
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »

The eyes can do funny things to the taste buds.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »

The eyes can do funny things to the taste buds.
Yes they can! even now....I can picture those red salaks...and my taste buds start salivating, differently than when I picture the white salak. I'd say they do have a slightly different (better) flavor. 
 :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
Micah your red balis (variety boni) will be better than most whites but gula pasir which has paler fruit is reputedly the best but boni is right up there.The more than dozen other white fleshed bali salaks (all are Salacca zalacca subs. amboina) are hard to tell apart.

I picked these bali salaks in the market yesterday and these are 3 larger multi-loculed fruit.

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Hello all!

I would like to know species of palm trees that have good fruits for consumption in fresh. I already have cocos nucifera and salacca zalacca, and I know dates of course. Thank you!

Best wishes,

João Franco

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »
Salacca wallichiana, salacca affinis, Astrocaryum aculeatum, Calamus ornatus, Maximiliana maripa, Jubaea chilensis, those I've already tasted.

Gouralata (Reunion Island)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
I am currently germinating Akuyuro Astrocaryum from Guyana.   Tastes like oily peanut...

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
Thanks!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »
The Mighty Acai..

Ed
Zone 10

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2014, 02:18:31 AM »
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »
Hi everyone! Any one knows if there are any açai palm tree that can stand -3C? Thank's!  ;)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »
Butia capitata is freak'n tasty...very refreshing with apricot and pineapple flavor.  :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »
now you have me intrigued.  Sounds delicious
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »
Butia capitata is freak'n tasty...very refreshing with apricot and pineapple flavor.  :)

Very beautiful palm also, with bluish tinge colored fronds. Also quite cold tolerant. Down side is that they are quite slow growing. Also there is quite a lot of variation in fruit quality. Some are not so good. But yes some can taste like candy!
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk