Author Topic: remove banana flowers or not?  (Read 21320 times)

fruitnewbie

• USA, HI, Wahiawa, 10
    • View Profile
remove banana flowers or not?
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »
Hi all. I have my first bunch of Apple Bananas forming now. I've heard two schools of thought regarding leaving the flower on or removing. Removing flower could introduce pathogens to cut but energy will be diverted back to fruit rather than flower. Any thoughts? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: remove banana flowers or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:32 PM »
I have heard the same story.  I have never removed the flower from any of my bananas.  Production and fruit size seems fine.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »
I always cut it off when I can reach it and my bananas have never had a disease problem
- David Antonio Garcia

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »
Good question, I'd love to know the pros and cons, if any.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
The short answer is that you might get slightly bigger bunches (heavier fruit) if you remove the male flower, but you might not.

At one point I searched for scientific papers on this question and found a few.  They indicated that for some cultivars in some conditions, there was a relatively small but measurable increase in bunch weight.  Other cultivars or the same ones in different conditions didn't benefit.

I have seen fungal infections spread upward towards the bunch after the flower is removed.  But that too might depend on environmental conditions.

I usually cut the male bud off my bunches just so they stop dripping nectar everywhere and dropping flowers, but I leave at least 6 inches between the cut and the female fingers that are developing.  I think a common commercial practice is to remove the last few female hands except for one or two fingers on the last one just above where the bud has been removed.  That is supposed to keep the sap flowing and reduce the possibility of infection.  You can make it as simple or complicated as you want!

In short, remove the bud if you want to, but you don't need to, and even if there are benefits, they won't be much.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
Commercial plantations remove it.
There must be a reason why they remove it.
I remove mine!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
I remove mine!

I was of the impression that the commercial growers did it to facilitate handling of the bananas during harvest and processing.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »
I remove the flower a couple of inches after the last fruit hand.  In PSL, FL it does not stay wet enough to promote fungus.

However for plantains I do hand pruning to get bigger fingers and earlier harvest.  For dwarf Puerto Rican super platano I cut off the flower stem after the sixth hand.  As soon as the sixth hand bracht peels back enough to get the bypass pruner under the 6th hand.  Not talking gaining pounds or saving weeks but a commercial guy with mucho hectars will like this idea.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:53:14 AM by Bananimal »
Dan

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
I don't think it makes much difference. But you have to do it sooner or laster soooooo
- David Antonio Garcia

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
Im with Dan , i remove the flower after the last hand is formed..
Zone 10

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »
I strip the flowers off the flower stalk, and leave the very end - looks like a monkey's tail.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
Very interesting, I'm gonna remove a flower stalk to see what kind of difference it'll make.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »
I remove mine!

I was of the impression that the commercial growers did it to facilitate handling of the bananas during harvest and processing.

That doesn't make much sense because to ease processing the flower stalk can be removed right at time of harvest, rather than during development of the bananas. I suppose that removing the long stalk would make it easier to bag them. Commercial growers here bag the stalks with plastic bags to protect them.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
I suppose that removing the long stalk would make it easier to bag them. Commercial growers here bag the stalks with plastic bags to protect them.

Exactly my point.  Also cutting the stem sends a torrent of liquid flowing, which if done when beginning the harvest would would delay the ability to complete processing to some limited degree.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
I suppose that removing the long stalk would make it easier to bag them. Commercial growers here bag the stalks with plastic bags to protect them.

Exactly my point.  Also cutting the stem sends a torrent of liquid flowing, which if done when beginning the harvest would would delay the ability to complete processing to some limited degree.

Don't get that point because cutting the whole stalk when harvesting is also going to send an even bigger stream of sap pouring out.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
I was told by someone from a tropical country to cut it off and this is what I do. That the banana flower steals energy from the developing bananas

If your banana stalk is tilting then definitely cut off the banana flower to reduce the weight pulling the stalk down

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 09:00:08 PM »

Don't get that point because cutting the whole stalk when harvesting is also going to send an even bigger stream of sap pouring out.

This is just supposition, but my thinking is that they cut the stem, removing the flower, the sap flows out, the wound heals and then they can bag.  If they didn't cut the flower off, bagging would be more difficult and then when they eventually cut the flower off, there would be the expected sap flow and that might hinder further harvest or packing.  My point is that cutting the flower may have strictly production reasons and not necessarily reasons to cut them off in the door yard setting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
I was told by someone from a tropical country to cut it off and this is what I do. That the banana flower steals energy from the developing bananas

If your banana stalk is tilting then definitely cut off the banana flower to reduce the weight pulling the stalk down

The male flower must be less than 2% of the weight of the stalk, so if it's leaning that ain't gonna help much.
Oscar

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »
... the banana flower steals energy from the developing bananas

That's the overused theory.  You'd have to know the plant's energy budget to know whether there is a deficit of energy, in which case cutting off the flower would help.  In some controlled, replicated experiments, cutting off the male bud does nothing.  In others, there is a small benefit.  It seems almost to be a religious belief.  My neighbor always tells me the bananas won't ripen if you don't cut the male flower off, despite that fact that my bunches ripen as fast as hers and are bigger!  There's lots more important stuff for big bunches than whether you cut the flower off or not, e.g., sufficient water, nutrients, light, minimal disease, etc.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
In SE Asia, namely Thailand/Cambodia/Laos, removing banana flowers right after the last hand is formed served one important purpose, food. It is used as salad in a number of dishes. Chopped up into small strings, they are quite delicious.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »
In SE Asia, namely Thailand/Cambodia/Laos, removing banana flowers right after the last hand is formed served one important purpose, food. It is used as salad in a number of dishes. Chopped up into small strings, they are quite delicious.

Yes, that may be the most important reason for cutting male flower part off. I think here very few people eat them.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »
I twisted one off just today and chucked it in the mulch pile. That's my policy. I tried a bit of it raw and it was astringent. Probably there are better parts to eat. I mulch my other fruit trees with banana stalk cut into 2 inch discs with a wire saw.....

found on ebay--- 2 for 3 dollars or less

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-Survive-Stainless-Steel-Wire-Pocket-Saw-Tool-Deluxe-Camping-Silver-/141081664561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d91f5c31
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:29:22 AM by zands »

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »
I twisted one off just today and chucked it in the mulch pile. That's my policy. I tried a bit of it raw and it was astringent. Probably there are better parts to eat. I mulch my other fruit trees with banana stalk cut into 2 inch discs with a wire saw.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-Survive-Stainless-Steel-Wire-Pocket-Saw-Tool-Deluxe-Camping-Silver-/141081664561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d91f5c31

eat it raw?????????????? why would you do that?

cook it! it's delicious. You have to open up the bracts and get at the little flowers on the inside, remove a couple of the harder parts, and cook!

i find it funny how some people eat things the wrong way and then say they hate it. This lady at the grocery store popped a whole lychee into her mouth...
she refused to ever try one again.

(banana flower is one of my favorite foods  ;D)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »

Yes, that may be the most important reason for cutting male flower part off. I think here very few people eat them.

Here in Uganda is it done to prevent the spread of Banana streak virus, transmitted by insects visiting the male flower.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 06:49:20 AM »
The bell of several types is favoured as more suitable for eating fresh or in curries and in cooking. Cavendish have poor bells.
Commercial growers believe cutting the bell and lowest few hands increases the size and uniformity of bananas.Handing ease and disease control are the other motives.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »
I always cut it off when I can reach it and my bananas have never had a disease problem

Me too. The one big thing to consider is cutting off the dead flowers and immature fruit will keep the tree upright better
Regards,

Gary

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »

eat it raw?????????????? why would you do that?

cook it! it's delicious. You have to open up the bracts and get at the little flowers on the inside, remove a couple of the harder parts, and cook!

i find it funny how some people eat things the wrong way and then say they hate it. This lady at the grocery store popped a whole lychee into her mouth...
she refused to ever try one again.

(banana flower is one of my favorite foods  ;D)

What's your recipe for banana flowers?  I have a couple in the yard atm.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
Not all banana stalks are tilting. But if you have one that is leaning then you better remove those banana flowers. Or you will have to support the stalk with wood or ropes or what have you. I have had two leaning banana stalks with good bananas that crashed onto the ground. The bananas were ruined and inedible. Its a shame to see a banana stalk spend so much time and energy getting those bananas ripe. Then it all ends prematurely

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
I saw a guy on the internet who built stands out of pvc pipe.  He used 2 pipes as "stilts" and had a u-shaped connect on top to support the stalk high up near the bunch.  You could probably find it on the web, and make them yourself.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »

What's your recipe for banana flowers?  I have a couple in the yard atm.
[/quote]

I am also interested in the timing of harvesting the flower for cooking as I have some flowers in the yard and would liek to attempt something exotic.
~Jeff

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
I saw a guy on the internet who built stands out of pvc pipe.  He used 2 pipes as "stilts" and had a u-shaped connect on top to support the stalk high up near the bunch.  You could probably find it on the web, and make them yourself.

Maybe next time I see impending doom for a banana bunch. Good idea

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »

I have been meaning to look up a recipe. Seems like another good food source. Here at the farmers market there are a few people selling them. So that means that people are buying them.

Worth a try.

For now, I cut and break up the flower and use it for fertilization.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »
That's Jon Verdick, banana and fig expert in San Diego who runs webebananas.org and figs4fun.org

As for recipes, the Vietnamese and Thai and SEA people will know best. My mom always tells me that the Vietnamese soup noodles with purple cabbage should be made with sliced banana flowers in the traditional way. I guess purple cabbage is much cheaper than purple banana flowers.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »

I remove mine once the hand is fully developed.
Ed
Zone 10

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »

Maybe next time I see impending doom for a banana bunch. Good idea

Thats what I use.

DM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk