Author Topic: NPK Fertilizers, What do folks do?  (Read 2119 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
NPK Fertilizers, What do folks do?
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
Read a lot about fertilizers and different fruit trees do differnet things and require different NPK at differnet times. So a balanced 10-10-10 or 15-15-15 is probably not a good idea.

I ended up getting Urea (N45), Phospate (P60), and Potash (K45) in separate 4 lb bags so I can do my own formulation.  I used online source Ozbo.com that seemed to have much better prices and flat $4.5 shipping no matter what you order.

What do other folks do for their fertilizer needs? I do heavily mulch and use compost, but chem ferts are a necessity these days for fruiting trees.

Any good cheap sources of ferts locally around So Cal? or online?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:48:27 PM by behlgarden »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: NPK Fertilizers, What do folks do?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
Read a lot about fertilizers and different fruit trees do differnet things and require different NPK at differnet times. So a balanced 10-10-10 or 15-15-15 is probably not a good idea.

I ended up getting Urea (N45), Phospate (P60), and Potash (K45) in separate 4 lb bags so I can do my own formulation.  I used online source Ozbo.com that seemed to have much better prices and flat $4.5 shipping no matter what you order.

What do other folks do for their fertilizer needs? I do heavily mulch and use compost, but chem ferts are a necessity these days for fruiting trees.

Any good cheap sources of ferts locally around So Cal? or online?

You might find some good special fertilizer at an intelligent nursery. 10-10-10 and 6-6-6 are the least expensive and have their uses but they have no minor elements and the nitrogen releases quickly. At Lowes and Home Depot you should find citrus and palm fertilizers that have slow release coated nitrogen plus have minor elements listed on the back. Stuff besides N P K. Always read the back of the bag and look at what minor elements are included. Call up your rare fruit club and see if they have a lead on some high quality fertilizer

Here is a decent one found in Florida Home Depots that is good for mangoes too. You could add your own N and P and K to adjust the numbers. I believe the Urea (N45) you have is quick release nitrogen so can burn more easily so have to use it more carefully. Smaller doses but more frequently. Slow release N has less chance of burning.

With good mulching plus a good fertilizer you are coming close to organic methods because the N and P and K and minors are buffered, absorbed into, chelated into the humus you are creating. Not perfectly but this does go on.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
Thanks Zands. I got this Vigoro but I want to improve N P K numers as pros suggest, slowly slowly

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
I wouldn't go beyond 15:15:15 especially if constituents are in chloride form rather than the prefered mild sulphates.You'll burn the roots even when applied lightly outside the dripline.Microelement blend powder is good when mixed with powdered organic fertlisers like blood and bone just mix to match the application rate and apply lightly but often.Citrus blends rarely have enough on their own.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk