Author Topic: Your two or three or four best blooming mango trees  (Read 18559 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Your two or three or four best blooming mango trees
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
It's mango bloom time in South Florida. I would be just as happy if I lived up North and had apple and cherry blooms in my backyard.

Here are my best
#1 is my large backyard Glenn   ( I also have a stunted Glenn blooming out of proportion)
#2 is my Carrie in front yard  (background is blooming PSM (Pim Saen Mun)

This Glenn has weak spreading limbs that will need post harvest pruning
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:38:20 PM by zands »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Your two or three or four best blooming mango trees
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
Nice pictures they look very happy.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
Nice pics! The trees look nice and healthy. How old is your carrie?
Alexi

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
Beautiful pics! I'm jealous - NONE of my trees has even a single panicle...

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
great pics.  i grow cherries and apples and i would gladly swap to be able to grow m,ango trees any day!

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Nice pics! The trees look nice and healthy. How old is your carrie?

Carrie was planted 2008 and came from Lowes. I bought a Kent the same day and was also planted 2008 that has not flourished as well but I'm working on it. The Glenn I got from Murray at  Broward  Rare Fruit and planted 2008. Many people know who he is

Both would be larger but I gave them zero fertilizer in 2008, 2009, 2010 which was a big mistake.  Only in 2011 did I start fertilizing all my mangoes. Mostly with Vigro from Home Depot and I fertilize going by the Zill recommendations on Zill tags. Now in 2012 all my mango trees are generously mulched too with chipped tree trimmings from a tree trimming, stump grinding crew. What I am doing in 2012 I should have been doing all along starting in 2008. It is aggravating and tedious but I don't throw fertilizer on top of the mulch. I remove the top mulch then do my best to tuck the fertilizer under the remaining mulch. This is more precise than dropping fertilizer on top of the mulch though I can see myself doing this for a large established tree

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:53:22 AM by zands »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »
Wish I had a mango tree that big. Julie mango I have is flowering, but its like 1/3 of the size of PSM. I am thinking next mango variety I get is going to be a super vigorous one. The mango trees in SoCal stall on growth for about 4 months.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »
Only mango I have that is blooming is "Ice Cream" for first time.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
Zands those trees are a beauty!

Little potted Pickering I posted a pic of it few weeks ago, this is how it's doing today.  The in ground is full of panicles too, but the flowers are still closed. The Glenn and Carrie have a few too, I will take pics during the day. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
I have a Pickering in a 15 gal, about 6 feet tall, with an inflo on almost every branch (and it s well branched).
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
Here is a picture of the Julie flowering in a 10 gal container.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
Zands - your flowering is about 6 weeks ahead of mine in P.Springs, CA, but my Glenn is pushing inflos, too....
I'll post something in a couple weeks, but still lagging everyone elses....

Your trees look very happy....

MF

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
Zand -
Beautiful bloom on your Carrie and Glenn. My Glenn has been pushing since the first of Dec. but our our cold nights slow it down. I'm lucky if I see my first mango by mid Aug. I removed all the flowers on my Carrie, do you think it will start pushing new growth or flower again??

JF

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
JF--
Your Glenn has lots of nice blooms. It must be your first of the year fruiting mango. Last year my first edible mango was a Glenn on May 25th.
Cutting off panicles---I have seen mangoes go either way. You cut off panicles and it will grow new ones, but sometimes it doesn't. Not helpful to you I know.  I have cut off panicles on young mangoes so instead of wasting resources on fruiting they would grow larger quicker. But then they disobey and send out new panicles.

To everyone-- Thanks for the compliments. My Carrie and Glenn look the blooming best....my other mangoes are more shy and restrained
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:26:40 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
I have a Pickering in a 15 gal, about 6 feet tall, with an inflo on almost every branch (and it s well branched).

My small  in ground Pickering has swelling bud ends and will be pushing out panicles ...within 10 days is my guess. Actually pushing out today.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:55:50 PM by zands »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »
Zands, your Mango trees are just beautiful! To me there is no better sight than a blooming mango tree, SO pretty and the anticipation of great things to come is very exciting. My mango trees are starting to bloom now in various stages...will post some pictures once they start to really take off and start opening, as long as we don't have any more Cold snaps that is. I've actually been following Zill's directions on fertilizing my Mango trees monthly (lightly) during the first 3 years I had them...they would have been your size by now "if" the freezes didn't force me to "Pug" them every single year!!

May I ask you where you buy the 4-4-8 fertilizer that Zills recommends for fruiting trees. I also use Vigoro Citrus on my inground tree the last year or two...I've been using Dynamite slow release for the first 3 years and have been happy with the results...but have switched to Vigoro since the cost is much cheaper.

Null, Mfajar and Jeff...VERY nice trees also!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
JF--
Your Glenn has lots of nice blooms. It must be your first of the year fruiting mango. Last year my first edible mango was a Glenn on May 25th.
Cutting off panicles---I have seen mangoes go either way. You cut off panicles and it will grow new ones, but sometimes it doesn't. Not helpful to you I know.  I have cut off panicles on young mangoes so instead of wasting resources on fruiting they would grow larger quicker. But then they disobey and send out new panicles.

To everyone-- Thanks for the compliments. My Carrie and Glenn look the blooming best....my other mangoes are more shy and restrained

Thanks Zand. All of my mangos are blooming with the exception of my Coconut Cream. I'm going to cut off the panicles on most of them. My Glenn is probably 2-3 weeks ahead of last year but we'll see when it will fruit. Haden and Edward were the first to fruit last and that wasn't until late Aug.Glenn has them beat this year because of the early bloom.

JF

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
Zands, your Mango trees are just beautiful! To me there is no better sight than a blooming mango tree, SO pretty and the anticipation of great things to come is very exciting. My mango trees are starting to bloom now in various stages...will post some pictures once they start to really take off and start opening, as long as we don't have any more Cold snaps that is. I've actually been following Zill's directions on fertilizing my Mango trees monthly (lightly) during the first 3 years I had them...they would have been your size by now "if" the freezes didn't force me to "Pug" them every single year!!

May I ask you where you buy the 4-4-8 fertilizer that Zills recommends for fruiting trees. I also use Vigoro Citrus on my inground tree the last year or two...I've been using Dynamite slow release for the first 3 years and have been happy with the results...but have switched to Vigoro since the cost is much cheaper.

Null, Mfajar and Jeff...VERY nice trees also!

IIRC you mulch your trees a lot so they are getting fed that way. You can feed them some of this Vigoro from HD http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202052194/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Citrus%20&%20Avocado&storeId=10051 which is 6-4-6. But feed them straight potassium too http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=potassium%20%20fertilizer&clk_rvr_id=316116666854

Richard Campbell director at Fairchild feeds his big enough mango trees only potassium. You have freeze related reasons for wanting condo mango sized trees (or a bit bigger) which is what Fairchild promotes

#2 scheme you can contact these people who might sell 4-4-8  or know who has it http://hatchermangohill.com/Trees.htm

#3 scheme is my own. I have straight potassium fertilizer and use this on my larger trees along with the HD citrus avocado mango 6-4-6. On smaller trees I use only  that HD Vigoro citrus avocado mango 6-4-6

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »
Cogshall

Nam Doc 4

Pickering

Maha Chanok

Maha Chanok from GT3000 eBay

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:44:09 PM by pj1881 »

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Amazing trees PJ...what a sight to see all those blooms even the smaller trees are blooming like crazy too. Congrats! Looks like a great mango season for you as well...thanks for the pictures. Love seeing pictures of blooming mango trees...

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »
Here are a few pictures of some of my blooming mango trees taken this afternoon.

Graham Mango

Rosigold Mango

Carrie Mango

Cushman Mango 

Angie Mango

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful pics I am loving this thread :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:19 PM »
Here are a few pictures of some of my blooming mango trees taken this afternoon.

Your Rosies are ready to go! the Graham and Carrie are going off! you got beuatiful trees Tony!

JF

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
Wow!! Absolutely beautiful blooming trees...thanks for posting!

I noticed your Cushman Mango is putting out new growths only on some of the branches, I just noticed my Glenn this morning doing the same thing. Some of the branches only have new growths, while others have a combination flowers and blooms on the same spike and others are 100% blooms only. I've never noticed new growths without flowers before on any of my trees this time of year.  Thanks for posting the pictures!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
Wow!! Absolutely beautiful blooming trees...thanks for posting!

I noticed your Cushman Mango is putting out new growths only on some of the branches, I just noticed my Glenn this morning doing the same thing. Some of the branches only have new growths, while others have a combination flowers and blooms on the same spike and others are 100% blooms only. I've never noticed new growths without flowers before on any of my trees this time of year.  Thanks for posting the pictures!

Hi Nancy, Joe Fernandez here....my Glenn did the same thing last year. that's the perfect combination for a young tree to flush and bloom at the same time.

JF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk