Author Topic: Sunburn????????  (Read 2088 times)

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Sunburn????????
« on: April 27, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
I recently put my potted 5 year old flame grapefruit in the ground! As much as this tree loves sun and with so much root, I thought it would absolutely take off!! SURPRISINGLY, it seems to be getting sunburned!! Very odd since a naval and page planted at same time, also from pots, are thriving!!

Should I put a shade cloth on it or just leave it be until it acclimates?

Temps haven't been horrible... 95 for a couple days but mostly mid to high 80s.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Sunburn????????
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
It looks like it needs more water, especially when transplanting. A shade cloth would be helpful for 1-2 weeks while it acclimates.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
I am watering twice a day.. do you think i need to increase that amount? The soil is a bit sandy....

The roots were minimally damaged if damaged at all because they were on air root containers.

Also, the other trees i planted at the same time are doing very well. The naval is flushing like crazy and it was planted right next to it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
Looks like sun burn.  The problem was that the tree's needed to be brought into the direct sun light slowly,by first putting them in shade, and gradually moving into direct sunlight a little at a time.  Like DWF Citrus wrote, cover the trees with some type of shade cloth.  I don't know if the burnt leave will re-green, but with care the new growth should be OK.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
I meant twice a week, not twice a day.

I will cover it with shade cloth.. too bad they won't re-green. I never would have thunk that would happen because it got direct sun while in a pot and never suffered any sun damage.

roots were extremely healthy so I'm not too concerned that it won't come back.

Thank you guys for your replies!

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
Usually when a citrus defoliates from transplant shock, sunburn or dehydrating conditions it will return by flushing very well and flowering.  If not done, also add 2-3" of pine bark much but keep it off the trunk. Good luck!

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
DFW,

i have a brother that lives in South Lake. AWESOME PLACE!! Do you actually have trees in the ground there?

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
Hi Robby, yes I live in Southlake, TX and yes I put some citrus in the ground. I moved here last year and bought a new home. My landscaping finished end of August and that is when I planted 2 Arctic Frost Satsuma, 2 Seto Satusuma and 1 Miho Satusma in the ground. We had a freak cold snap in December when it got 72oF during the day and dropped to 16oF at night with high winds for 2 days. I did not adequately cover the trees and I got die back to the stem and they are recovering now. Lesson learned. I have 20+ other citrus in containers. I replaced 3 of the damaged trees and will cover better in the future when needed. I know it can be done! lol