Author Topic: Gefner pushing flowers already  (Read 9735 times)

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Gefner pushing flowers already
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »
Almost all of my geffner flowers have fallen off. I pollinated by hand, but I'm guessing I just didn't have enough pollen. I had to refrigerate it for a few days.

I have 2 still hanging on, hoping they got pollinated properly.

It's also been a bit windy, so I moved the tree to not be hit by as much wind, hopefully that'll help the flowers stay on too.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
Almost all of my geffner flowers have fallen off. I pollinated by hand, but I'm guessing I just didn't have enough pollen. I had to refrigerate it for a few days.

It's also been a bit windy, so I moved the tree to not be hit by as much wind, hopefully that'll help the flowers stay on too.

You just have to time it right. I usually have enough male and female flowers to collect the pollen and hand pollinate. I collect my pollen around 8:30 to 9:00 PM and pollinate after.

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »

You just have to time it right. I usually have enough male and female flowers to collect the pollen and hand pollinate. I collect my pollen around 8:30 to 9:00 PM and pollinate after.

Yeah, I think next year ill have more flowers ready at the same time. This year I only had 20-30 total flowers, so each day 1 or maybe two might open to female stage.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »

Yeah, I think next year ill have more flowers ready at the same time. This year I only had 20-30 total flowers, so each day 1 or maybe two might open to female stage.

Get yourself a Lisa or an African Pride and you'll have  beaucoup pollen

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »
Here it is! Got soft while I was at work yesterday and came home and found it on the ground with ants starting to crawl on it. Still needs another day to get a little softer.

ed.

Congrats, you are three months ahead of my atemoyas.
Yeah, I can't believe It fruited this early...that crazy weather really did the trick!

My first fruits were washed out because of the rain in December. Let us know how it tasted.
JF, flavor was excellent...not washed out at all...good texture...although I did notice different parts of the fruit took on a more intense flavor...everything else thats growing on the tree is at least 4 months or more out so I was happy to get one this early...

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »

JF, flavor was excellent...not washed out at all...good texture...although I did notice different parts of the fruit took on a more intense flavor...everything else thats growing on the tree is at least 4 months or more out so I was happy to get one this early...
[/quote]

that's great Mike...I have 3 more months before I try my first annona probably Booth cherimoya and Lisa atemoya.

I have quite a few atemoya this year. Lisa has about 60 and my 7 and 1 atemoya tree about 100

Lisa

7-1 includes geffner

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
Some of these branches have too many fruits.  No more than one fruit per flower cluster should be allowed, or they won't size up well or be properly sweet.  Remove deformed ones and remove some of the main crop to let some of the smaller ones ripen later, so that you spread out your harvest.
Har

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
Some of these branches have too many fruits.  No more than one fruit per flower cluster should be allowed, or they won't size up well or be properly sweet.  Remove deformed ones and remove some of the main crop to let some of the smaller ones ripen later, so that you spread out your harvest.

Ok Har, I removed half of my Lisa's a week ago and I can see they are starting to size up. I have 30 or so fruits left, do you think that's too much? here is how they look,

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
Looks good now.
Har

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 04:17:13 AM »
Congratulations! Great pics! I wonder when my cherimoyas will give fruit...  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk