Author Topic: Kiwano  (Read 11088 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Re: Kiwano
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
It's getting around 6-7 hours of direct sunlight everyday.  Right now the temperature is in the range of 36-38 ºC (97-100 ºF) and expected to go till 40ºC (104ºF).  Is the weather too hot for this plant?

If you are feeding it lots of fertilizer, you might want to hold off on that as well as excessive watering. I had 2 Kiwanos last year, one in beautiful, composted soil that I watered and fertilized regularly and another that I planted in poor soil that I did not water like I probably should have, even in the extreme heat. Never fertilized it either.

The one that I cared for, grew up a trellis and was huge, green and beautiful but only produced 2 small fruits. The one that I neglected was yellowed, ugly and growing along the ground. I didn't even realize how many fruits it had until I pulled back the grass, and it had over 20 melons!

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 12:52:58 AM »

If you are feeding it lots of fertilizer, you might want to hold off on that as well as excessive watering. I had 2 Kiwanos last year, one in beautiful, composted soil that I watered and fertilized regularly and another that I planted in poor soil that I did not water like I probably should have, even in the extreme heat. Never fertilized it either.

I only fed it twice,  once when it was about 6" in height and the other time was when it was about 3' or 4' in height.   After that, I've not fed it anymore.

As for watering, it's only once a day, early in the morning.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
From LOST CROPS of AFRICA - volume III Fruits :
Humid areas Uncertain. The plant can thrive under humid conditions, but tropical heat and humidity tend to foster vine growth over fruit set.
I grew this plant in the middle of peak summer where the temperature was almost 40C.  I was frustrated and had uprooted it.  Thinking of regrowing this again in the cooler months.  Any suggestions?

BTW, could you please have a look at my plant.  It has climbed all the way to the top and still growing.  But, no signs of any flower yet.  Initially, I did use a seaweed based liquid fertilizer.  Is this causing only vegetative growth?  It is already more than 12 feet tall.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
I grew this for the first time in Florida during wintertime. The climate is fairly temperate but does get to 90F degrees some days. There was almost no rain and irrigation was by sprinklers. Growth was quick and became rampant, but under the heavy foliage most young fruits which set rotted until the vines began to run across open ground and the fruits held. The ones which ripened had many hard seeds and taste was like cucumber, and had very hard sharp spines someone with tender hands would have trouble even holding one. Eventually when summer temps and rains began the vines quickly died. It would have been better to grow these in full open sun on dry ground but with drip irrigation. They can cover ground quickly, but the taste was so bland I won't repeat something like pumpkin would be a better use of space.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
I recently bought one from a local grocery store out of curiousity (saw them at the CRFG stand at the SD County Fair), the taste was bland as previously reported.  For kicks I harvested some seeds and put them into a seedling starter tray.  The seedlings popped up within a week.  When they get big enough I'll have to put them in the ground and see how they do.  It should be a fun interesting experiment.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
I recently bought one from a local grocery store out of curiousity (saw them at the CRFG stand at the SD County Fair), the taste was bland as previously reported.  For kicks I harvested some seeds and put them into a seedling starter tray.  The seedlings popped up within a week.  When they get big enough I'll have to put them in the ground and see how they do.  It should be a fun interesting experiment.

Do you still have some seeds to spare, Jct?  I could send you seeds from India?  Thank you.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
Do you still have some seeds to spare, Jct?  I could send you seeds from India?  Thank you.

Sorry, I tossed what I didn't plant.  I'll try to  keep this thread updated if the seedlings survive and actually produce fruit.  Hit me up at that point and I'll send you some.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
Sorry, I tossed what I didn't plant.  I'll try to  keep this thread updated if the seedlings survive and actually produce fruit.  Hit me up at that point and I'll send you some.

Ok.  Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk