Author Topic: Best grafting technique for home depot manila mango?  (Read 19699 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best grafting technique for home depot manila mango?
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2015, 01:25:33 AM »
I think May/June is not good for taking scions though. The fruits are still at the end of those "scions".

I'm not a mango person so I could be wrong about this.

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
I remember reading June is when Behl and JF put in their orders for mango scions, if I'm incorrect I hope one of them will chime in with clarification.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »
Fruiting branches have no scions. For scions people would prune some branches which will send out new growth for scions -- just my guess.

I did a few V type grafting on mango last month November and they seem to take ok in So Cal 91501. No new shoots out yet though.

Sapote

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
I'm not saying the fruiting part is the scion. The leaf nodes below that can be used for scions once the fruits are harvested and given some time to develop buds. Sometimes all the branch tips in the tree are holding fruit and you'd have to sacrifice some in order to produce scions early. But I guess the tree hasn't wasted too much energy in developing fruits if you do it early in the season. Of course, for larger trees, sacrificing a few fruits is not a problem.

Sapote, i need to go visit you sometime. I'm in the same zipcode although my mango is not planted here.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »
Fyliu,

Sure and we will talk mangoes:) Weekend is good, PM me.

Here is one graft union I uncover the tape and took pic today. All of my have this same smooth union. It doesn't look like the union from nursery. Mine has a smooth joint and I don't know why the pros grafts have a step between the top V of root stock and the wedge of scion.

Sapote

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
Fruiting branches have no scions. For scions people would prune some branches which will send out new growth for scions -- just my guess.

I did a few V type grafting on mango last month November and they seem to take ok in So Cal 91501. No new shoots out yet though.

Sapote

they don't take ok if you are lucky they'll stay green over the winter. 

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2015, 02:54:10 AM »
All of my have this same smooth union. It doesn't look like the union from nursery. Mine has a smooth joint and I don't know why the pros grafts have a step between the top V of root stock and the wedge of scion.
I think you're doing the V-shaped graft while the nurseries do the wedge graft. With wedge, you make a single cut down the center of the rootstock and wedge the scion in there. Do you shave away some more of the rootstock to make it fit better?

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2015, 06:26:30 AM »
That is a beautiful, smoothly healed graft, Sapote.

i am curious, too. Did you do a v-shaped graft in which you shaped the rootstock as a V, and the scion as a complimentary shaped wedge. Something like an inverted saddle-graft? Or was this a normal cleft graft - just a simple perpendicular cut through the rootstock with a wedged scion inserted? In the latter case, I always get two 'lobes' that look like small wounds, which were the top end of the split rootstock. At least the first year. They heal over quite quickly.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
A wedge graft is a cleft graft.  Cleft is the proper term.   Do not "shave" or "shape" any of the rootstock.   Just try and match the scion size to rootstock size and let it heal and callous over.  The union will eventually be unnoticeable.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:09:52 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
    Does anyone on this forum use a block plane inplace of a grafting knife ? I've used this on cherimoya with real good results. Never tried it on mango though.

William

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
Thanks. I keep forgetting the word because I hardly ever do cleft graft. I searched wedge but couldn't get to the proper term from there.

I have seen people use a plane and also a chisel for cutting the grafting material and it works well for them. I don't do fancy stuff like that because I need time to develop good technique with any tool. So I keep it simple with just a grafting knife.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
"Do you shave away some more of the rootstock to make it fit better?"

Hi Fyliu,
No I didn't shave the rootstock at all -- just a straight cut split at the middle. We all tried to match the scion and root stock but sometimes we just used what available at hand. When the graft took after about 1 month then I removed and re-taped the union again to accommodate the grew larger union, and even at this time -- one month old -- the union looked smooth without the steps of the V. I think the trick was that I scratched a very thin skin off the top of the scion wedge where the root stock top V ended. My thinking was that right at this area the scion wedge taper down to a round stick but the root stock V was flat planes, and so by exposed the scion skin here will help to bond the top V better. That was all the difference. I was quite surprised that the unions after one month healed smooth without any signs of V steps.

Sapote   

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »
If you are in California the way to go is plant the manila in the ground, and get it established. Then starting in June up to maybe September go ahead and cleft graft. I like to take the leaves off the scion that you want to graft and then in a week or two select the scion that has some nice big buds. It's pretty easy as long as you line up the cambium layers, and do it at the right time of year. The time of year when the nights don't get below 60 degrees.

By the way Simon, I'd be happy to film some grafting techniques in the summer. I saw the double graft that you did for Leo, was that a Lemon zest?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »
Hey Mark, yes that is a Lemon Zest on Double Stone Graft that I gave to Leo. I also gave Peter a DSGed Lemon Zest to test out at his orchard. That would be great if you could video tape me doing some grafting once it warms up.

For grafting onto Manilla rootstock, I do as Mark mentioned. It is very important for the rootstock to be healthy, vigorous and in a state of growth or close to it. I also prep the scion before removing them from the donor tree whenever possible but I have good success as long as the scion has some buds. Manilla rootstock is very good in SoCal and adapts very well to our soil.

Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
Sounds good Simon, I need to learn the "double stone graft" also. We can make a nice instructional video. I did an air-layer video for the San Diego North Couth CRFG a few years back.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2015, 02:10:44 AM »
I look forward to seeing this video. A technique that works well here and gives a more vigorous plant will be great.

Wasn't there a really long grafting video that Simon posted? or was that using avocado.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »
fyliu, here is the video from Shramajeevi, it is my favorite grafting video. Someone else on this forum shared this video. It talks about multiple grafting technique. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=19m18s&feature=youtu.be&v=hzBerXm1WCY

Simon

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Watched a load of grafting videos, didn't really grasp the delicate nature of it, until I saw Sapote do it in front of me. Maybe next time I hand out with Sapote ill take a high def video camera.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
Double graft learn this one from Behl. The tree looks strong was planted April 2015 I might let it hold one or two fruits 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:37 PM »

Sapote

Update pic on the graft was done on last year November, just for an experiment on grafting timing. I'm so surprised to see the scion took and sent out one inch new shoot. This is Okrung Tong on 4 years old Kent seedling which also is sending out flowers for the first time.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »
Forget to add that the scion was grafted on a very young still in copper color new shoot from the root stock. It seems the vigorous of the new shoot had helped to push the scion well.

Sapote

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2017, 01:14:07 AM »
Where did you fellow Californians get your scions from? This is my first month on this forum sobpleawe forgive my ignorance.

-K

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
If there's a variety I really want, I usually buy a whole tree from Florida through Plantogram. There are members here like Dongeorgio that also sell scions. If you join the CRFG, you'll probably bump into people that have different grafted varieties growing and may be able to get scions off them.

Simon