Author Topic: Unofficial Mango Tasting Results  (Read 2080 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Unofficial Mango Tasting Results
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
I went to the news room at a local ABC news station, WPBF, to promote the Rare Fruit Council International, Palm Beach Chapter's Plant Sale (Saturday May 20, 2017 from 9 AM to 2 PM) at the South Florida Fairgrounds.  WPBF's staff was very nice and professional.

As part of my presentation, I brought four mango varieties:  1)  Fairchild, 2) Coconut Cream, 3) Mahachanok, and 4) Rosigold.  We only tasted one variety on the air, but afterwards, they tried the rest.  A number of people didn't like mangos, until they tried the mangos that I brought.  The clear favorite was the Coconut Cream mango among these varieties. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial Mango Tasting Results
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »
I went to the news room at a local ABC news station, WPBF, to promote the Rare Fruit Council International, Palm Beach Chapter's Plant Sale (Saturday May 20, 2017 from 9 AM to 2 PM) at the South Florida Fairgrounds.  WPBF's staff was very nice and professional.

As part of my presentation, I brought four mango varieties:  1)  Fairchild, 2) Coconut Cream, 3) Mahachanok, and 4) Rosigold.  We only tasted one variety on the air, but afterwards, they tried the rest.  A number of people didn't like mangos, until they tried the mangos that I brought.  The clear favorite was the Coconut Cream mango among these varieties.

Nice work promoting tropical fruits (Mango)!  Look forward to trying at least one homegrown CC this summer.
- Marley

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
Think of all the poor souls of which their only experience with a mango was eating an unripe store bought Tommy Atkins, picked too soon, and cooked.   Its no wonder why some people say they do not like the fruit.  I come across some of these folks online, and try to motivate them to give them another try,  selecting the right varieties, and how to know when they are ripe.   

we folks are so lucky in the south,  access to fresh fruit,  but think of all the cities, and towns up north, that have maybe 1 or 2 varieties that may or may not be very good at all.  ( crap shoot ).  yet its growing in demand.

But this is how to do it,  you introduce one person to some great fruit, and they get others hooked.  and it grows.  good job with WPBF.   love hearing about this sort of stuff.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
Great publicity---it really is remarkable to think what most people are missing. I noticed you had 3 persimmon trees..can I ask what kind and what one you would recommend here in Ft Myers? PM me if needed.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:44 PM »
I just want his dog to purchase! lol  I need a guard dog badly for these damn squirrels.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
I just want his dog to purchase! lol  I need a guard dog badly for these damn squirrels.

Keeping my trees pruned helps a lot for squirrels.  Squirrel will have to run on the ground to get to another tree.  If the trees touch, then you have a squirrel highway.
www.FLMangos.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk