Author Topic: Obscure myrtaceae...from north Portugal  (Read 21288 times)

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
Obscure myrtaceae...from north Portugal
« on: May 06, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
 Hello all!... my name is Miguel and I live in Portugal, near the city of Aveiro (latitude 40º40' north) on Portuguese northwest coast. I do follow this forum for some time now but never had the courage to jump in... until now!
I live some 20 km inland from the Atlantic coast and normal climate here is 9b but my garden is at river valley floor and that gives me a 9a climate because it accumulates a lot of cold by drainage effect;
There I have a 200 sq. meters, 4.5 meters tall, unheated greenhouse dedicated solely to "rare stuff" and that gives me probably a 9b inside the greenhouse with the added benefit of the extra heat.
I've been collecting rare stuff since 2005/2006 when I bought my place and became interested on this... My first and most important supplier was my very good Brazilian friend Helton Josué that I believe most of you know well... I have the pleasure and honor to have his book "Coleccionando frutas-Vol 1" autographed with a special dedicatory where he treats me as a "colaborador"!... that’s one of my little treasures of this hobby!... but since then I have exchanged a lot of different stuff with a lot of nice people... most of them are now good friends.

My experience so far has demonstrated that the myrtaceae family is the one that thrives and rewards me the most on my conditions and that's my main focus for the moment... Here I have acid soil and acid water and that’s an added bonus for this particular family myrtaceae... In fact my place is near the city who claims to be the Portuguese Blueberry capital...
I have also some plants at my father’s house that is some 60 km south from here where the climate is 9b but water and soil are slightly alkaline.
Just to give you an idea of the different conditions I am dealing with I can tell you that at my place near Aveiro I have killed by freezing outside the GH several cherimoyas, macadamias, white sapotes and even one half meter tall Jaboticaba ... inside the greenhouse all these things thrive well and I even can get to have litchis, logans and even mangos (mangos do suffer a lot on wintertime)... at my father's place it's possible to have cherimoyas and white sapotes outside without problems... I hope this gives you all a clear idea of my conditions... anyway this forum seems the right place to report successes and failures and exchange ideas and questions because as far as I’ve seen this is the only place where there are talks about rare and obscure stuff that I’m actually growing by myself by the "test and failure" method because there aren't many detailed information out there...
I intend to gradually test and report which ones of these rare and obscure stuff can handle the 9a climate outside and this forum seems a nice place to report and discuss results... hope this would be my little contribution to mankind, or at least to the mankind fraction that likes different fruits and flavors and have a climate with colder temperatures than minus 3 º Celsius!... to me in fact this -3º Celsius seem a very important border to deal with specially when we are talking about rare myrtaceae stuff...

I'm trying to attach some photos just to document what I am saying here (hope they came out ok...first time here...still learning)

Some rare stuff from my little collection and some status info:

Diferent guabirobas (Campomanesias spp.):
Campomanesia schechtendaliana var. rugosa (fruiting already)
Campomanesia adamantium (flowering now) and Campomanesia cambessedeana ( Lozenzi puts them together on the “Blue Book” but Helton used to have them separated)
Campomanesia xanthocarpa (guabiroba)
Campomanesia xanthocarpa var.littoralis (guabiroba da praia/restinga)... fruiting
Campomanesia sessiliflora (flower a lot but no fruits yet)
Campomanesia guazumifolia (sete-capotes)... fruiting
Campomanesia phaea (cambuci)… growing

Other rare eugenias, psidiums and Myrciaria/Plinia that I am growing here:

Eugenia anomala ( Helton use to call it Hexaclamys tomentosa)... fruited last year for the 1ºtime
Eugenia myrchiantes ( or Hexaclamys edulis)...fruiting now
Psidium guineense ( have 2 diferent ones)...both fruiting since 2012
Psidium longiopetalum (araçã-goiaba)...fruiting since 2012.
Psidium australe var. suffruticosum… fruiting
Eugenia calycina ( Cerrado cherry - fruiting since 2012... I've cracked the Cerrado Curse on this one)
Eugenia pitanga ( Cerrado pitanga...several diferent ones... fruiting since 2011... no Cerrado Curse)
Eugenia klotchiana ( Cerrado pear...2 diferent ones... one flowering for the first time now...hoping to be the first to fruit this one at mainland Europe)
Eugenia negrensis... fruiting
Eugenia florida... fruiting
Eugenia speciosa (laranjinha do mato)... flowering now.
Eugenia selloi... fruiting
Eugenia blasthanta
Eugenia candolleana
Eugenia neonitida (Pitangatuba)
Eugenia pyriformis / Eugenia uvalha…uvaias (round, pear, several diferent ones fruiting)
Myrciaria delicatula (Cambui amarelo/ yellow)
Plinia edulis (cambucá)
Plinia rivularis
Jaboticabas ( M. jaboticaba ; M. cauliflora ; M. trunciflora ... waiting for the hybrid Jaboticaba to arrive...)

Things that I've fruited already but eliminated because of terrible bad taste:
Psidium myrtoides
Psidium eugenifolia

Of course I also have grumixamas, cherries of rio grande, pitombas, pitangas, guavas, strawberry guavas, feijoas but theses don’t seem to be so rare anymore… 

Looking forward to exchange some ideas and thoughts with all you fruit nuts.

Miguel

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
Re: Obscure myrtaceae...from north Portugal
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Sorry guys for the too long post... and the photos didn't show out!...still learning as i said before...excuse me!

How do I post pics here?...please help!

Miguel

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
Sorry guys for the too long post... and the photos didn't show out!...still learning as i said before...excuse me!

How do I post pics here?...please help!

Miguel

Great collection and welcome to the forums! Btw, do you have an image hosting site? If so you can just use the IMG button to place around the direct image link, otherwise you can use the "Add image to post" button under the smiley faces.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
Lets see if i can post pics now... Eugenia calycina photos for start... these ones seem much better to me than the photos on Lorenzi's book... maybe I have a winner here!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
Lets see if i can post pics now... Eugenia calycina photos for start... these ones seem much better to me than the photos on Lorenzi's book... maybe I have a winner here!

Beautiful! How is the taste and the seed to flesh ratio?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
welcome Miguel!!

I love your collection!

I'd also love to trade for some of your E calycina seeds!!

the fruits look amazing.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
Hi Miguel , nice to see I am not the only European Eugenia fanatic . We really will have to trade some seeds , the calycina has been on my want list for a long time ...among others in your list .
Thanks for posting and coming out of the darkness ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Miguel , I can trade E. mattosii for the calycina.....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
YES... the pics came out OK... Thank you NULZERO!

By the way the last pic is a comparison between a Cherry of the Rio Grande (seedless) and the Calycina fruit.

Now the rest of the pics:

Eugenia pitanga ( from Cerrado with love and without the CURSE... normal and round ones... last pic is a comparisson between neonitida/ Eugenia pitanga black/ Eugenia selloi

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
Miguel,

Don't worry about it, good to see the nice pictures now  ;D.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
some more pics:

This is the one that Helton used to call Hexaclamis tomentosa and now calls Eugenia anomala... beautiful fruit which tastes like garlic... but being the BACALHAU the Portugal national dish i'me keeping it on my collection... and this one is outside so it takes 9a climate!

last pic is an Hexaclamys edulis or Eugenia myrcianthes fruiting the first time now... waiting for the ripe fruits to check the garlic content on this one.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
Magical Myrtaceae Man Miguel...

how did you crack the "cerrado curse" of E. calycina?

The fruits look like fingerlimes crossed with cherry of rios.  I love the elongated appearance.

thanks for posting so many pics!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
Thank you Adam and Luc for the warm welcome... the calycina is in flower ritgh now.... it flowers twice... keep your fingers crossed for fruits and maybe seeds will arrive soon to MX and Fl than you expect... Hey Luc I do want mattosi seeds... i don't have that one yet... thank you!

Now that I know how to post pics... some more:

First flowers on the Cerrado pear / Pêra do mato... this thing is only some 15 cm tall ( 3 years I guess)... claiming to be the first one in mainland Europe to take this one to flower... hoping to be the first one to fruit this... is there a GUINESS book on this stuff

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
And more pics... please tell when enough is enough...

Guabiroba rugosa ( Campomanesia schlechtendaliana) and Eugenia selloi (yellow pitanga)

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »
Magical Myrtaceae Man Miguel...

how did you crack the "cerrado curse" of E. calycina?

The fruits look like fingerlimes crossed with cherry of rios.  I love the elongated appearance.

thanks for posting so many pics!

I didn't do nothing special really because at the beginning I was not aware of the CERRADO CURSE... only latter when after killing several mama-cadelas and other cerrado stuff I realized this terrible CURSE... I do really think this one is a winner because from a batch of 2007 seeds this one grew much more than her sisters/brothers... and fruited while all the other are still just sticks... it was on a big pot until last year and this is the first year on the ground... here's me hoping I did not made a mistake by putting it on the ground... let's see... I'm betting this one should be graft compatible with the Cherry of the Rio Grande, but I'm not a good grafter for the moment but willing to learn fast... Hey Adam can you give private lessons?... I've seen an older post from you on this subject but but the pics are no longer there !

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
Olá Miguel,
Bem vindo ao fórum de frutas tropicais :)

I'm totally speechless...What a collection!!! :o 8) You sure are pushing the limits growing these species in the north...thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
And more pics... please tell when enough is enough...

Guabiroba rugosa ( Campomanesia schlechtendaliana) and Eugenia selloi (yellow pitanga)

Don't stop posting ....it is never enough and we love to hear how the taste is for the unusual Eugenias...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
 Miguel,

how do you like those yellow pitangas??  Is E. selloi much different than E.uniflora...as far as resinous taste, or sweetness?

never heard of that one!

You keep pulling magic tricks out of your bag!

I'm impressed!  :o  :D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
Olá Miguel,
Bem vindo ao fórum de frutas tropicais :)

I'm totally speechless...What a collection!!! :o 8) You sure are pushing the limits growing these species in the north...thanks for sharing :)

Olá Steven... muito obrigado pelo acolhimento e pelas simpáticas palavras!... entre nós creio que até podemos trocar plantas sem problemas... o tio Alberto João Jardim ainda não instalou alfandega na Madeira???... ou já???

Answering to Nullzero:
the taste is fantastic and the seed to flesh ratio also... like a very good Cherry of the Rio Grande... when overripe this calycina goes almost totally black and fattens the belly with the most amazing juicy flesh... see next pic.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:13:32 PM by Miguel.pt »

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
Miguel,

how do you like those yellow pitangas??  Is E. selloi much different than E.uniflora...as far as resinous taste, or sweetness?

never heard of that one!

You keep pulling magic tricks out of your bag!

I'm impressed!  :o  :D

Adam... the yellow is just temporary.. they end up becoming orange (see the previous pic with the neonitida and the black pitanga)... taste is very good for a pitanga  (sweet without resin taste)...  and the plant habit and leaves are slitly diferent, and also they seem to take longer to mature than other pitangas.... I got this one from a nursery in Italy and it was labeled as Eugenia selloi... the only book that I have that speaks about it (a Portuguese Book - Fruticultura Tropical- from A.Serrão) claims this one is a yellow fruited myrtaceae so I keep calling it Yellow... but our friend Helton thinks this one is just another pitanga... not sure if it's the orange one from the Lorenzi blue book

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
Hi Miguel

Very nice collection and beautiful pictures - please keep them coming!  :D
kimi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
Miguel,

are your candolleanas fruiting?

I've noticed there's several variants...I have at least two.  One has slender leaves, one has wider leaves.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Welcome Miguel, it is great to have you here.  You have some incredible plants and photos, I cannot wait to learn more.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
Welcome Miguel, it is great to have you here.  You have some incredible plants and photos, I cannot wait to learn more.

Hi Miguel, great collection of plants! And at 40.40 N even more amazing! Love all the photos also. Please keep the photos and posts coming. This is what this forum is here for...so don't be shy. Obrigado,
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
Ya this is a very impressive collection
- David Antonio Garcia