Author Topic: Carica quercifolia... the papaya for climate 9a...from north Portugal  (Read 3091 times)

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
Never seen this one discussed here on the forum but maybe I'm just distracted...

Happy to report that this one is a total winner for me just because I've left 2 females in pots outside this winter and they are re-sprouting nicely now in spring... so this seem to be the papaya to have if you live on a 9a zone... still need to check if it fruit outside as it does inside the GH but now I have to grow a male again because the only male that I had died because of rotten root this winter... did not really understood why because the several females were all ok... fortunately I had planted seeds from last years fruit and now I just have to wait to identify another reproducing male.

Fruits are interesting enough to grow and this at least a good "conversation piece"... Helton and Lorenzi say that the branches are also edible and used in Brazil to prepare some kind of local sweet desert and that is threatening this species in the wild... I have not tried the branches yet but will do it someday for sure... I think Helton also said on his book that someone is Brazil is testing the branches to floculate milk and prepare some kind of cheese... seems very versatile this one!

Sorry for the bad quality pics but i don't have others now...

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Very interesting.  Hadn't heard of it.  Is it from the deep south of Brasil, or from the Cerrado?
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Very interesting.  Hadn't heard of it.  Is it from the deep south of Brasil, or from the Cerrado?

Neither, it's from high Andes. I think it's mostly seen in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. I've never had it, but have heard somewhere, forget from whom,. that taste is not so good?
Oscar

amadioranch

• Phoenix Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Amadio Ranch
Very cool Miguel! I think these might work really good out here in Phoenix. Have you seen any place to buy seed??

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
I have had these growing for many years from a seed I bought on line in Bakersfield. They are very hardy, and are decidious. Very productive and have a long season. Fruit is ok and about 2 to 3 inches long. Not like a papaya though. I have some photos of the fruit on facebook I will post if I can ever access it, damn chinese firewall. Plant has a very ornamental look. I will be able to provide seeds in the future if yours dont end up having a male. It was hard to keep both genders but plants root from cuttings easily. Much hardier than any other papaya relative including babacao. Might also work as a papaya rootstock.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
I posted a photo of it on my greenhouse photos but thought I would repost the photo here.

When I get back home I plan on propagating a bunch of these for rootstock. They unlike all other papaya species I have grown do not get the same root rot that the other papayas get in the winter time. It has been the major factor in why I dont grow true papayas, they die every winter from root rot. This species on the other hand thrives and is very ornamental looking. Also I am curious how do you eat the leaves and branches ???? I would like to try using this plant in other ways.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:49:07 PM by murraystevena2 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk