Author Topic: Need Help Pruning Lopsided Mango Tree  (Read 2381 times)

halcyonsc

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9a
    • View Profile
Need Help Pruning Lopsided Mango Tree
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:28:55 PM »
My wife bought me a mango tree last year for my birthday. I didn't have any experience growing before, but I've tried to learn as much as I can on the forums. It is a Glenn Mango that is i think 2-3 years old. I read that I was to prune it to get more bushy growth, but ever since I did that the tree seems to be growing in one direction. The tree came with a bend in it, but I hoped more branches would provide some balance, but so far they haven't. I still have it staked because it is so top heavy I'm worried it will fall/break without the stake. Both branches have had new growth in the past 2-3 weeks.

Can anyone help me in pruning this tree? I'm really lost on where and how to cut it. Any other advice would be great, to. Some of the older leaves are browning on the edges.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Pruning Lopsided Mango Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
Why don't you plant it on ground for a more healthy and larger stronger trunk tree ?

The bend be fixed by replace the old with a strong and taller stake, and gradually tie up the trunk to the stake to straight it out. I wouldn't prune it now.

halcyonsc

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
Why don't you plant it on ground for a more healthy and larger stronger trunk tree ?

The bend be fixed by replace the old with a strong and taller stake, and gradually tie up the trunk to the stake to straight it out. I wouldn't prune it now.

Thanks for the advice on tying it up - I'll try that. We would like to plant it in the ground, but unfortunately we live in an apartment so that isn't possible for us.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »
That may have an issue at the "bend" as the tree grows.  May want to just cut the tree back just below tbe bend point.
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Was thinking the same thing Rob

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Cut it right below the bend and give it some time. It is 70/30 most likely in your favor that it will push out new growth at this point. I say this because I've had the same problem. I had several trees recover just fine and correct and only had an Angie die on me (wasn't a super strong tree to begin with.)

Shawn

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
That may have an issue at the "bend" as the tree grows.  May want to just cut the tree back just below tbe bend point.

Sound the alarms. Rob just told someone to pug their mango!  ;D
-Josh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 05:28:39 PM »

Sound the alarms. Rob just told someone to pug their mango!  ;D

Personally, I would ditch it and start over but it was a gift from hus wife...

I am not opposed to PRUNING (I own two pugs and I dont "pug" my mangoes or any ither tree) a mango but butchering to such low poibts that people do I am against for multiple reasons which I have stated in previous threads.
- Rob