Author Topic: Taiwanese Sugar Apples  (Read 18921 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Taiwanese Sugar Apples
« on: May 29, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
I have been trading seeds with Rock who is generous, a 'happening dude' with pot culture and has a great collection of fruit trees. With his permission I am posting photos of glamorous Taiwanese sugar apples big eyes which a real giant with tiny seeds and the golden sugar apple that Rock tells me is actually backcrossed to atemoya. I am sure Rock won't mind me saying he is eager to get more good quality Eugenias and jaboticabas.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Taiwanese Sugar Apples
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
Big as his head for crying out loud!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »
Hi Mike,

They are huge! I bet they are hugely tasty too. Can you just please explain to me what you meant by "backcrossed to atemoya"?

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
Hi Mike,

They are huge! I bet they are hugely tasty too. Can you just please explain to me what you meant by "backcrossed to atemoya"?

Tomas

Tomas,

if I'm not mistaken, that is when they take an existing hybrid, and cross it with one of its parents...(sugar apple or cherimoya in this case)....as to encourage more characteristics of one parent or the other.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
Tomas that is crossing back with an ancestor so in this case the golden sugar apple is only 75% sugar apple and 25% cherimoya. Big eyes is larger (to 2kg) but from what I can figure is just selective bred sugar apple.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »
so I guess this atemoya has been crack bossed back to a sugar apple?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »
Tomas that is crossing back with an ancestor so in this case the golden sugar apple is only 75% sugar apple and 25% cherimoya. Big eyes is larger (to 2kg) but from what I can figure is just selective bred sugar apple.

So, that means "big eyes" seedlings  likely true to type, and "golden" not?

PS. Wow, isn't strong enough expression! I can't believe Rock has been hiding these beauties from us :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »
I suppose saff but from the vantage point of the descendant the parents were front and back crossed depending on what side you are looking at it from.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »
DL I suspect that they both are true and have been stabilised. Bud sport atemoyas like Paxton Prolific and Hillary White and probably line bred Tropic Sun and Maroochy that have not had enough seed line generations won't be true.All Pinks Mammoth before 1900 and mostly up to the 1920's would have been seed grown so had decades to stabilise and these are truer. The ancestor PM atemoyas was recognised as good and giant fruited by one French Guiana visitor in the 1870's.  I don't know about African Pride and Gefner.

It seems right now that Taiwan might be the centre of the sugar apple universe.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
I have been trading seeds with Rock who is generous, a 'happening dude' with pot culture and has a great collection of fruit trees. With his permission I am posting photos of glamorous Taiwanese sugar apples big eyes which a real giant with tiny seeds and the golden sugar apple that Rock tells me is actually backcrossed to atemoya. I am sure Rock won't mind me saying he is eager to get more good quality Eugenias and jaboticabas.

Have mercy!  Forgive me for asking how seeds can be acquired...

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
It seems right now that Taiwan might be the centre of the sugar apple universe.

Taitung, Taiwan, to be precise. :)
Thera

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
Wow, these giant sugar apple varieties 'Big Eyes' and 'Golden,' are real, true beauties. They must be brought over to the USA as soon as possible. As soon as they get here, I 'wanna' be one of the first to buy them. And, if I ever get a chance to go to Thailand, I'll have my radar set to find them, lock on them, and legally bring them to the USA, 'PRONTO.'
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
Leo what a crying shame the season has just finished for the year. Maybe the US isn't ready for them yet. Anything could happen to the Annona space/time continuum if an out of sequence sugar apple were to arrive when you guys are still going through your chewy red and Mexican giant phase.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
... you guys are still going through your chewy red and Mexican giant phase.

We don't have Chewy Red sugar apple yet, Mike. :)
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the pickup Thera I slipped there..

That still is another phase you guys have to go through then before reaching big eyes stage of development. 

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Leo what a crying shame the season has just finished for the year. Maybe the US isn't ready for them yet. Anything could happen to the Annona space/time continuum if an out of sequence sugar apple were to arrive when you guys are still going through your chewy red and Mexican giant phase.

I am so sorry to disappointed you Mike T, but Big Eyes, Green & Red Dragon from Taiwan are already here flowering in S. Florida.
Take a look at the seeds different between Big Eyes and Boca Vietnamese super Chewy. Big Eyes seeds are smaller & more angular stealth design than the Boca Vietnamese super chewy and south west on my hand compare to Boca Vietnamese Super Giant Chewy.  Boca  Chewy I bred it for the humid tropic since they are well adapted to the dry tropic lowland.  What is bred in Taitung might not do well here.

You are correct that its a backcross.  I have Big Eyes's Golden Squamosa parent flowering this year.  One one hour north of Orlando for cold drought testing & two in Boca for scale & swamp testing for these dry tropic annona.  I will be back crossing Big Eyes to Petch Pakchong so see if fruit set for petch pakchong more reliable in S. Florida without hand pollination.

Yes Thera I am still waiting for your red chewy from your Phantom Work.

Here is my Red Vietnamese Chewy tree that hopefully start flowering this year; its a cross;

Taiwanese Red Dragon Atemoya backcross Thai Red ( I have that fruiting)squamosa ( large selection from their famous Giant purple Atemoya which I have fruiting) with

Boca Giant Chewy pure squamosa 20 years selection.

Boca Giant Chewy is 15-20 feet tree producing 2-3 lbs fruit, Mimi My Maltese dog is almost five lbs.

result is Boca Vietnamese Giant Red Chewy, notice it has more reddish atemoya leaves parent Heritage.

Dam Burmese Giant Golden Yellow finally flowering after six years. One tree an hour north of Orlando for cold & drought testing, two in Boca for humid tropic & breeding. Its no wonder it so hard to find. Twenty seedling to get three to survive in S. Florida! If it was not its color i samurai the dam thing!

Thera the Orange Chewy need humid heat to develops good color, I suggest you choose the strongest candidate in a year haft & cross it with your Giant Mexican.  I have send a 4 thousand seeds shipment to Taitung for field trial last year & this spring when its second crop mature from December 2013-February 2014. 10 years stabilization it should come true to fruit being a pure squamosa x squamosa F4.

Taitung will select the best candidate to improve there & send me back the best five for my collection in four years from now.  So get busy do some breeding rather than begging!  I expectec a Mexican Orange Chewy in four years from you! ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »

Coconut I am glad you have them and was only teasing. It saves me sending any over.Your angular big eyes look different from mine where very are angular so I hope they are the real thing.

I know Taitung is a bit drier and cooler than my climate but sugar apples do well here even in higher rainfall areas so I am optimistic.With 73 inches of rain annually and average minimums in the coldest month of 16c it may be warmer and wetter than anywhere in SE USA but close enough to bits of Florida.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
Coconut I just read your post again and now appreciate more how much you have going on with this species.

My big sugar apple tree with small eyes and great fruit is an unnamed seedling that has fruit to over 1kg at times but fruit crack sometimes. Some of the reds and purples locally also would be good for crossing.

With atemoyas Hillary White and Paxton Prolific are so popular here partly because they are super productive without hand pollination. In fact I don't know anyone who hand pollinates annonas here...maybe there are plenty of pollinators.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 07:09:25 PM »
Ok so Coconut is my new best friend...

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »

Coconut I am glad you have them and was only teasing. It saves me sending any over.Your angular big eyes look different from mine where very are angular so I hope they are the real thing.

I know Taitung is a bit drier and cooler than my climate but sugar apples do well here even in higher rainfall areas so I am optimistic.With 73 inches of rain annually and average minimums in the coldest month of 16c it may be warmer and wetter than anywhere in SE USA but close enough to bits of Florida.

Here is the seeds & seedling eight months old big eyes.  They seem not to like the humidity of SE florida during initial growth but now taking off.  I suspected they will do better in Royal Palm & Orlando.  So I will have trial up there.  I will send back to Taitung the best wet selection in tree years from Boca & Parkland.  There are a few Big Eyes Selection just like Nam doc Mai.  If you unsure of your we can swap seeds, I am sure my Shinobi will not double cross or I will impale him on a salak bush!  :( :-X

Big eyes seedlings

Big Fat Ceeb Mama Annona Senegalensis the best selection from zinguinchor, senegal

Big Eyes Seeds

Big Eyes show growth pattern similar to all atemoyal growth in South east florida prone to defoliation by sugar apple larvaes feeding on leaves

I will be breeding big eyes with this superior African annona that is as closest to annona squamosa before the continent drift, hopefully getting that pineapple taste I like when I live in West Africa.

Yes I have a passion for Coconut & Annona  & its derivative cross & backcross.  Not a fan of cherimoya no matter how much those folks from California rave.   I am unconventional & I do not follow the crowd; a Sith Lord in a crowd of Jedi... might the Fruity Fart be with you! ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
Coconut as I said Taitung gets 73inches of rain and temps more reminiscent of 18 latitude than the 22 latitude it is. Winters are very warm so the climate is actually closer to that of Belise city rather than Miami and the rainfall is on the line between wet and dry tropics.

I am getting low germination rates with big eyes and notice most seeds are hollow but still they look different from yours. That group of seeds you have look larger,darker and more like atemoyas than mine. The first up looks like a classic sugar apple so far.You seem to have good germination in that pot. I suspect market fruits come from a few seedling lines and hopefully both of ours came from the best and biggest selections. I am pretty confident of mine as a seasoned campaigner got them.

Line up any cherimoya on the planet against an elite atemoya and it is going down I say (sorry California).

By the way Thera is actually a very knowledgeable,generous and active Annona enthusiast so those comments before were a bit over the top.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
When you get annona seeds that are hollow, its tell me one thing about the fruit; it was not fully mature during it development & pick not fully mature.  Always have your Shinobi do a float test before  sending seeds.  Sinking seeds will germinate.  I have 100percent germination with all seeds I get from Taitung Government Officials.

Thera is a big person, you tease about red chewy, I challenge Thera to used the knowlege to start breeding a red Chewy.  Results speak for itself, I gave Thera my Orange Chewy, its blood line will save a decade.  At  some point a collector need to become breeder.  Har  is the one unwittingly got me into growing annona &  I beg him for his collections but he never gave me anything; and I am grateful that he never did, he just gave me knowledge. It force me to used my real estate fortune to acquire a collection & the passion to develop my own & get involve with the Taitung Annona Triad! 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
All my big eye seeds floated but still some germinated. The markets have plenty of big eyes so you don't really need to get the seeds from govt officials. Then again you did have great germination.

Enough said about that second issue.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »

Sorry I missed you in this sea of discussion where are you locate Future?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »
Wow that is an impressive looking fruit

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »
Coconut I sent you a pm are you selling any seedlings? I work in Boca.
Thanks
Ron

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »
Hey coco, when I joined this forum, and before I could beg anybody for anything, I told Adam on one of my very first posts that I would breed a Chewy Red and that he would be among the first on the list to get it if I succeed. Like a big person, I didn't wait for anybody to tell me where and when I should poo. That said, thank you again so much for your Golden Sugar Apple seeds. They will come handy one day. Right now, I need to concentrate on my Chewy Red backyard breeding program.

Now, for the Taiwanese Sugar Apples, I just hope that the Big Eye and the Golden is sufficiently stabilized so the seeds would come true "enough" to type. Or else, a vacation to Taitung is necessary.

Thera

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »

Sorry I missed you in this sea of discussion where are you locate Future?

No worries mate.  I'm in Bermuda.  Will send you a PM.  Funny thing is, I dreamt about breeding annonas last night...so to read your comments this morning about a collector needing to become a breeder, is...right on time.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »
Hey coco, when I joined this forum, and before I could beg anybody for anything, I told Adam on one of my very first posts that I would breed a Chewy Red and that he would be among the first on the list to get it if I succeed. Like a big person, I didn't wait for anybody to tell me where and when I should poo. That said, thank you again so much for your Golden Sugar Apple seeds. They will come handy one day. Right now, I need to concentrate on my Chewy Red backyard breeding program.

Now, for the Taiwanese Sugar Apples, I just hope that the Big Eye and the Golden is sufficiently stabilized so the seeds would come true "enough" to type. Or else, a vacation to Taitung is necessary.

Thera I am happy & proud to see another backyard breeder come out of the closet; sorry I thought I was the only Sith backyard breeder in or out of the outhouse!  If my red Boca chewy produce fruit this year, you will get to try it.  I am working on back crossing it to the Green Diamond line too to get out of season crop.  All my selection are for self fruit tree, I can work on the taste improvement later.  I am almost there with a great tasting A.montana thank to all the silent members who have sold me their seeds or donate for a future fruit in my too large of a backyard program.  Perhaps we can combine our resources like the Seti program, every one backyard is a trial plot.  I know I can count on the Vietnamese for helping me trial run the Boca Giant Chewy for both Central Florida & South Florida for the past 15 years.  Its good to get more American to breed & show the Old World that we can improve our new world fruit too!
A church in Miami is giving me 20 Acres to plant my rare stuff, so it will be great field trial place.  How far away are your red chewy development.  I think it will take me about ten years to stabilize mine & who no what mutation selection we will get.   ;D

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
Thera I am happy & proud to see another backyard breeder come out of the closet; sorry I thought I was the only Sith backyard breeder in or out of the outhouse!  If my red Boca chewy produce fruit this year, you will get to try it.  I am working on back crossing it to the Green Diamond line too to get out of season crop.  All my selection are for self fruit tree, I can work on the taste improvement later.  I am almost there with a great tasting A.montana thank to all the silent members who have sold me their seeds or donate for a future fruit in my too large of a backyard program.  Perhaps we can combine our resources like the Seti program, every one backyard is a trial plot.  I know I can count on the Vietnamese for helping me trial run the Boca Giant Chewy for both Central Florida & South Florida for the past 15 years.  Its good to get more American to breed & show the Old World that we can improve our new world fruit too!
A church in Miami is giving me 20 Acres to plant my rare stuff, so it will be great field trial place.  How far away are your red chewy development.  I think it will take me about ten years to stabilize mine & who no what mutation selection we will get.   ;D

I've started about a year ago and it took me about 3 months of gathering infos and putting everything down in writing before I actually started to collect breeders. For now, I'm concentrating on obtaining a chewy red that is pure A. Squamosa. But the Taiwanese varieties keep getting me sidetracked every now and then. Being in CA, I also have to find ways to provide enough cold hardiness to my young breeders (and future F1). I'm trying out a few experiments and won't know the results before 1 year from now. For the moment, I'm putting aside the solution of grafting onto cold hardiness species such as Cherimoya because I don't want to have to deal with direct influence between rootstock and scion.
The Taiwanese Big Eye seems to be a pure squamosa but I need to find out more about it. If it is, I will have to update my plan to include it. But this will be my last sidetrack.  8)

Thera

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »

I've started about a year ago and it took me about 3 months of gathering infos and putting everything down in writing before I actually started to collect breeders. For now, I'm concentrating on obtaining a chewy red that is pure A. Squamosa. But the Taiwanese varieties keep getting me sidetracked every now and then. Being in CA, I also have to find ways to provide enough cold hardiness to my young breeders (and future F1). I'm trying out a few experiments and won't know the results before 1 year from now. For the moment, I'm putting aside the solution of grafting onto cold hardiness species such as Cherimoya because I don't want to have to deal with direct influence between rootstock and scion.
The Taiwanese Big Eye seems to be a pure squamosa but I need to find out more about it. If it is, I will have to update my plan to include it. But this will be my last sidetrack.  8)

Can I tell you a very dirty little secret you promise you keep quiet?  The Orange chewy is quite cold resistant, I bred it in Ocala, florida and self fruiting.  It was grown in New Orlean, Tallahasee, Tampa, Gainsville in field with the Vietnamese backyard growers who worship the the chewy like The Taiwanese with their soft flesh creamy sugar apple.  If you like a starchy sugar apple that is not diabetic sweet but chewy starch this is fantastic.

Plant them outside let them freeze, they can handle it like cherimoya just make sure it ain't snowing, I dont live in Minnesota anymore or I would stupidly field trials. They like moist soil but not wet and produce a crop in the fall in Orlando area.  In West palm beach I get a fall crop & a winter crop if irrigate.  It is haft develop & will save you ten years.  Its the cold gene in its selection the Taitung Annona Triad desire not its kind of sickly pepto bismo looking fruit that attract you!  You need high heat & humidity to bring that color out.  I had what I want in its development a chewy, survive occasional freeze of the last 15 years here in Florida & new Orlean, the starchiness when unripe was a trait I thought it was cool a sugar apple potato.  If I slide it green, pick out the seeds & fried it, taste like lotus root chip, just make sure you peel the skin of course.  If you want to develop a pure squamosa F4 like Boca Chewy with all its glamorous eating quality but Red, I will help you. 

I have my first Annona Squamosa Red self pollinating triple XXX cross, I will call it Mayan Sacrifice if it come out bloody red like my old war wounds; its parents are Burmese Blood from Northern Burma x (Thai Red from Chang Mai x Indian Red sital).  I have five seedling flowerin.  One in an air pot, one in ground, one growing on coral rock all flowering after 3 years. Very fruitful kill 100 seedling to get these fabulous five. Here are fotos of it fruiting right now on the largest tree of seven feet, bred for small back yard like mine!

the biggest seven feet busy in ground 14 fruits & counting!

the Mayan Sacrifice have survived the freeze of last three years & I consider this my coldest red which will field trial next year 2015.  Considered that its parent have survived 15 years cold here in Boca Raton.  Will field trial 2015 seedling in Orlando & Tampa 1,000 seedlings, from that the best two will be cross to itself & field trial to tallahasee & New Orlean.  So in ten years we should have a decent all red cold as cherimoya & will cross back to the best candidate in the stable or what is in vogue in Burma & Vietnam were I beleive some of the next cool annona squamosa & atemoya will come from.  But lets us produce or improve upon a squamosa & its Atemoya derivatives for the Southern Cal & All of Florida if we can.  Wehave the mean, we have the passion, we have the tenacity let improve on it so all can enjoy.  I am so amaze the folks improving& developing so many variety of Mango so fast, lets give our humble sugar apple a fighting chance. Become a backyard breeder of sugar apple!

My red chewy is a backcross as I have outline & will fruit probably this year, it third year & self fruitful.
 The big eyes, green diamond are not pure but backross. I will give you the first new crop in september for orange chewy & you can have the unstable first generation triple cross for your breeding selection.   Plant them outside & see what survive for your area, when it fruit in three to four years for you, you will have that stock. But do not pollute the annona world by giving it out. It is not stable & the line will be only with you & me.  You will succeed! But please only select self fruitful seedlings & kill the rest!! Have all the previous orange chewy shipment small lot seed get a 100 percent germination?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:53:48 PM by Coconut »

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

Not at all, Mike.
Rock

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
Thera
 Our you trying to get the fruit red or the skin. I have been crossing the purple sugar with Vietnamese chewy trying to get a purple Vetnamese chewy just the skin. I am also using red fruit fernadaze custard apple trying to get red fruit.
Mike

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 03:15:31 AM »
Thera
 Our you trying to get the fruit red or the skin. I have been crossing the purple sugar with Vietnamese chewy trying to get a purple Vetnamese chewy just the skin. I am also using red fruit fernadaze custard apple trying to get red fruit.
Mike, I'm trying to get a chewy sugar apple with red skin. The color of the flesh doesn't matter for now as long as it is chewy.
Thera

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 06:35:04 AM »
Thera
OK I have Noles  Red and a vetnamese chewy flowering now. In two or 3 years I will have fruit  maybe a red chewy and I can send you budwood.  You can use for your breeding. If you would like my help let me know.

Mike

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »
Thera

good work, Mike.  Keep us posted.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »

I am so sorry to disappointed you Mike T, but Big Eyes, Green & Red Dragon from Taiwan are already here flowering in S. Florida.
Take a look at the seeds different between Big Eyes and Boca Vietnamese super Chewy. Big Eyes seeds are smaller & more angular stealth design than the Boca Vietnamese super chewy and south west on my hand compare to Boca Vietnamese Super Giant Chewy.  Boca  Chewy I bred it for the humid tropic since they are well adapted to the dry tropic lowland.  What is bred in Taitung might not do well here.

Coco, thank you for the great news that these giant annonas are already here in Florida, USA. Here I was wishing that they be brought over and you, and others also, already have them and are sorting them out to arrive at the largest, most (consistently) productive and highest quality giant annona fruit(s). You are indeed 'The Syth  Lord of the Giant Annonas,' if anyone else doubts it they can 'og kcus na gge nad og tarf...' (Syth translation: 'yeepy kaye...!')
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:21:05 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 12:29:18 AM »
Thera
OK I have Noles  Red and a vetnamese chewy flowering now. In two or 3 years I will have fruit  maybe a red chewy and I can send you budwood.  You can use for your breeding. If you would like my help let me know.

Thank you, Mike. Generous as always! I will get in touch off post so as not to hijack Mike T's thread any further. :)
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
The Taitung agricultural researchers have confirmed that the variety Big Eyes is pure A.squamosa. We were talking about the golden variety only being backcrossed to atemoya and it makes sense. From the seedlings you can tell big eyes are sugar apples and the pictures of the fruit demonstrate it. It is selective breeding within the species that resulted in the Big Eyes variety.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
Excellent news, Mike! I hope it is sufficiently stabilized so the seeds would be true enough to type. Being bred in Taiwan, it should handle Cali winter well. High hope for this one.
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 05:45:07 AM »
I spread around many big eye seeds a few months ago and planted a few hundred seeds myself.All the seeds floated and only 3 deformed sickly seeds came up for me.I am sure other people experienced similar poor germination from this lot.Thanks to the generosity of a Taiwanese benefactor I have received more.This time several hundred seeds sank in water and were seperated.I am confident this time by weight of overwhelming numbers and that sinking feeling I will get a shipload of seedlings.I reckon there was a 1000 or more floaters and I haven't given up on them.
Looking at the chart of taiwanese sugar apple varieties made me realize it is where the action is concentrated.Most places are at the Wright Brothers stage of sugar apple development and Taiwan seems to be the Space Shuttle of sugar apples.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
Earlier in the post it was mentioned that Annona season in Taiwan is over... is there any hope of finding any in early October?
We're going to Taipei the first week of October....

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
Hi,

I got a document regarding the Taiwan Sugar Apple Industry Situationer.  I've read that Big Eyes variety was bud sport probably from a sugar apple tree trial selection planting? Can the annona experts who have connection with the Taitung Agriculture Organization confirm this? :)  i could send the file to those who are interested.  Its a visit of Australian custard apple growers who want to observe the Sugar and Atemoya Industry in Taiwan.
Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

hungplu

• OC CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 09:08:11 PM »
Does anyone have scions for sale of this Taiwanese SA?

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
 Mike, Thera, Coco, any good news to report on this breeding program?
Carlos

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
I can only speak on the Big Eye in So Cal. It does not seem to like either So Cal climate or my way of growing sugar apple. This made it extremely tedious for me to keep them healthy and alive. But the worse part is the resulting fruits which in no aspect resembles the Big Eye seen and sold in Taiwan. I only fruited this variety once here in So Cal but twice in Cambodia. The fruits were similar in shapes and looked just like a normal sugar apple commonly found.
So my guess was that the Big Eye is a hybrid SA x SA whose traits have not been fixed yet. It reminds me of the sweet white corn where you cannot grow seedlings corns from resulting cobs as it'd give you very inferior quality corns. You'd have to buy fresh seeds again and again if you want have the same quality of sweet white corn season after season.
Conclusion, I have given up on this strain a while back already.
Thera

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »

I was lucky enough to get 2 seedlings from this sugarapple. I got them late 2017 and they didn't grow much last year
so I probably wont get fruit till next year?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk