Author Topic: my method of protection of fruits from rats/squirrel  (Read 3260 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
my method of protection of fruits from rats/squirrel
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »

pick this for mom today, another seedling tree .

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: my method of protection of fruits from rats/squirrel
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »
This year - for my peaches - I'm going to put up an electrified chicken wire fence.

Last year I tried a net over the trees, but (I assume it was a raccoon) just tore a hole in the netting.  They're too smart for my live traps around here, let's see how they like an electrified fence with some peanut butter on it!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
I have caught plenty of racoon in the Havahart traps .  Just put a peach or mango sliced open in the back.  Trick is, I think, to put the trap behind the generator where they can not see people in the back yard or the pool.

Same set up also catches possum and the occasional kitty.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:13:45 PM by Bananimal »
Dan

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »
People online seem to have success catching rats with rabbit/small game spring traps so I ordered a set. Tonight will be the first night using them.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
People online seem to have success catching rats with rabbit/small game spring traps so I ordered a set. Tonight will be the first night using them.

I don't like those because you might catch the neighbors kitten, a rabbit or wound a small dog.  They're indiscriminate as to what they kill.

I use the live traps, then decide what lives and what dies.

I have used the sliced fruit in the havaheart, but there are so many rabbits around here, I was catching rabbits as fast as I could reload the traps
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »
I saw my neighbor's cat this morning in the backyard, a couple hours later, I found a big giant rat dead  next to the mango tree.  Maybe it's the cat's present for me for new year present.  Not sure if it's the my dog or the cat killed it.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Any tips for Peafowl? There are 8 in my block!!!!! When I move in to the neighborhood 2 years ago, there were only 2. I'm afraid there will be more next year.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
A well placed shot from a quality air rifle. They are supposed to be good eating.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
Your technique is interesting and amusing! Can see myself getting caught by the sharp edges.

I've been putting up with a stray cat in my backyard, using the pool filter box as a restroom. Figure/hope the good done outweighs the bad. They don't seem to go after the squirrels much though.

I feed them (squirrels) well during mango season, putting out a bird feeder in the front yard away from any fruiting trees. My squirrels are fat and happy. This distraction definitely appears to help, but not sure for how long. Could be adding to a future problem. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:37:09 AM by roblack »

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
A well placed shot from a quality air rifle. They are supposed to be good eating.

It's illegal to harm peafowl, at least in South Florida. I want to find a way to deter them.  Trust me, if it's okay to hunt them, I would have some peafowl for Thanksgiving!

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 05:21:06 PM »

It's illegal to harm peafowl, at least in South Florida. I want to find a way to deter them.  Trust me, if it's okay to hunt them, I would have some peafowl for Thanksgiving!
Did some quick searches. They are a invasive species and are protected for some stupid reason in your area. Really, protect an invasive species?? 

But, it appears they are legal to kill if on your property per the Miami Herald. Keep in mind, I’m not talking a cheap B.B. gun, I’m talking a quality air rifle.

Partial quote from the article:

Shooting and killing peafowl on your property is not illegal, but I don’t support that because I grew up around them, and if you’re using your Kalashnikov that’s going to lead to other problems, so it’s not an effective way to reduce the population,” he said. “Sterilization would require money and vets.

“My advice is, if you don’t like peafowl, don’t live here.”

Schneider’s advice is to never feed the birds – “which is rule No. 1 for all wildlife,” she said – and to find the peahen’s eggs, dispose of them and replace them with eggs from the grocery store or golf balls.

Finnegan will continue to be on the lookout for injured birds.

“If you’re going to shoot them, get the job done, but do we really want people shooting guns in a residential area?” she said. ”I understand they can be a bit of a nuisance. I wish there was a peacock farm or sanctuary where they could live. There’s got to be a better way to control them because there are so many babies. They are gorgeous animals and it’s awful to see them mistreated.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article179785821.html#storylink=cpy
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »

Did some quick searches. They are a invasive species and are protected for some stupid reason in your area. Really, protect an invasive species??  They are NOT protected by the state.

But, it appears they are legal to kill if on your property per the Miami Herald. Keep in mind, I’m not talking a cheap B.B. gun, I’m talking a quality air rifle like I have using pointed hunting pellets.

Partial quote from the article:

Shooting and killing peafowl on your property is not illegal, but I don’t support that because I grew up around them, and if you’re using your Kalashnikov that’s going to lead to other problems, so it’s not an effective way to reduce the population,” he said. “Sterilization would require money and vets.

“My advice is, if you don’t like peafowl, don’t live here.”

Schneider’s advice is to never feed the birds – “which is rule No. 1 for all wildlife,” she said – and to find the peahen’s eggs, dispose of them and replace them with eggs from the grocery store or golf balls.

Finnegan will continue to be on the lookout for injured birds.

“If you’re going to shoot them, get the job done, but do we really want people shooting guns in a residential area?” she said. ”I understand they can be a bit of a nuisance. I wish there was a peacock farm or sanctuary where they could live. There’s got to be a better way to control them because there are so many babies. They are gorgeous animals and it’s awful to see them mistreated.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article179785821.html#storylink=cpy
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

kc_moses

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »
I'm in West Palm area, the Peafowl problem is not as bad as Miami, but might be heading that way. The area also have some stupid law, like if you want to kill Iguana, it has to be a clean shoot, instant dead........ who has sniper skills?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 07:33:17 AM »
easier than squirrel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBk8QbLDgNQ

Iguanas used to be rare in the Caribbean mainly because people ate them out but food choices must have changed and the population expanded rapidly. In good habitat and without control animals overpopulate. people feeding the pacocks are a big part of the problem.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:43:23 AM by pineislander »

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »
This 10yrs seedling has pretty good fruits. Each fruits should be protected from squirrel/rats.  I accidentally knocked off two small fruits during the process.