Author Topic: Glenn, Graham, or Irwin Mango  (Read 24404 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Glenn, Graham, or Irwin Mango
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2014, 01:13:33 AM »
Unfortunately those weevils are the "offspring" of a grub that feasts on roots.  While you may have eliminated those two in the picture, there will be more to come.  The grubs must be eliminated to get control of these pests.  They are most prevalent at night.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2014, 01:19:03 AM »
graham is definitely unique.  not a big fan!  chris rollins said it's good every 5 years, and good to throw all the other years.  definitely resinous tang and not sweet at all
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
Rob - What do you recommend to get rid of the weevils/grubs?

Gunnar429 - I'm over the Graham!   ;D. It only got like one recommendation.  Angie & Maha Chanok are in my sights.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
" If  any do hold you are telling me I have to wait till winter (buzz kill)?  Please tell me you are joking Puglvr1.   ;D"

Lol rbody, unfortunatley I'm not joking...it takes appx. 5-6 months for mangoes to reach maturity from flowers to picking ripe fruit  :( :'(...that should put it around winter "if" it actually sets and hold that is...Keep us posted!

Yes, Kill, remove those nasty weevils...they will chew your leaves like crazy!!

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
Puglvr1 - I guess that is what I get for assuming...smh  I'm just so happy to have blossoms I didn't think that far ahead, especially since they are so small now.  I assumed that if you could grow a watetmelon in 2-3 months you could do the same with a mango.  This Cog is so confused I do not expect any to hold, but who am I to talk?

I have killed 3 weevils so far, but I can't find anything to spray that is safe for edibles.  I'm really concerned about the root chewing grubs.  I emailed the coop just now hopefully they will have some good advice.  Anyone else have advice on killing grubs/weevils?

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
graham is definitely unique.  not a big fan!  chris rollins said it's good every 5 years, and good to throw all the other years.  definitely resinous tang and not sweet at all
About Grahams, I have also heard that you have to give the early ones away and the later ones start to change for the good. Huge range of flavor. I have had putrid turpentine-tasking ones and I have also had excellent ones.

rbody2

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
Bulldawg305 - Thanks for the info.  The Graham's sound a bit iffy.  I don't want to give away mangoes.   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk