Author Topic: Growing Mangos in Ventura County California  (Read 23996 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mangos in Ventura County California
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 08:55:23 PM »
lol,whichever. They are so similar winter and summer the percentages mean both grow plants with about the same results.   I know on one website we had some high sunny day count. I think that helps. By mid June lows get to about 60f. THAT'S when I see the tropical's really taking off.

That's why those Ventura Mangoes with hefty trunks for height are just like mine-VERY familiar look-lol and I know that the lush look comes over with later flushes. So to me they are good garden/backyard results. I get Plumeria to bloom, I have Plumeria obtusa going good in a pot outdoors all year. So,Im meeting some minimal heat requirements.
Now,San Jose is even warmer..man,I know you could grow them there. There are taller trunking Majesty palms there,and with all the Tipu trees San Jose has a strong soucal vibe. Palms everywhere.

Its so different from when I was a child in the 60's JF. No more frozen ice puddles,lawn frost is rare. The USDA backs that up.Moved us from 9b to 10a.

From the perspective of growing subtropicals and tropicals, the bay area benefits from the bay itself and the surrounding mountains, keeping temperatures warmer than would otherwise be the case.  Basically all the land surrounding the bay itself is in USDA zone 10a, and some (parts of SF and the East Bay) are zone 10b.  The zone 10b areas are a bit heat challenged, except for a tiny part of Oakland near Lake Merrit that has the best of both worlds and is probably comparable to the zone 10b parts of Santa Barbara county, and has the benefit of getting enough rain that most fruit trees don't require irrigation once established.  But even the rest of the East Bay from Milpitas to Richmond/El Sobrante are solidly 10a and many of those spots like Hayward and Fremont get decent warmth too.

I sort of see it as a tradeoff -- living further South means more warmth and less rain, and living further North means less warmth and more rain.  From a fruit perspective it's just a question of finding a balance that works for the trees you want to grow.  Poring over the climate data a few years back, I found that the station at Hearst Castle has the magic balance -- frost free, decent warmth, and plentiful rainfall.  If only it weren't so remote and it were possible to live there...

10a & 10b wishful thinking guys. New Port Beach waters are warmer now than they will ever reach in the peak of summer in the Bay area. SF is not Malaga Spain or in the Mediterranean. Where is the proof of all these Bay area tropicals? I see ONE successful mango when I do a google search. As the previous poster correctly points out it's the cold rainy winter temps that's the problem.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
lol,whichever. They are so similar winter and summer the percentages mean both grow plants with about the same results.   I know on one website we had some high sunny day count. I think that helps. By mid June lows get to about 60f. THAT'S when I see the tropical's really taking off.

That's why those Ventura Mangoes with hefty trunks for height are just like mine-VERY familiar look-lol and I know that the lush look comes over with later flushes. So to me they are good garden/backyard results. I get Plumeria to bloom, I have Plumeria obtusa going good in a pot outdoors all year. So,Im meeting some minimal heat requirements.
Now,San Jose is even warmer..man,I know you could grow them there. There are taller trunking Majesty palms there,and with all the Tipu trees San Jose has a strong soucal vibe. Palms everywhere.

Its so different from when I was a child in the 60's JF. No more frozen ice puddles,lawn frost is rare. The USDA backs that up.Moved us from 9b to 10a.

From the perspective of growing subtropicals and tropicals, the bay area benefits from the bay itself and the surrounding mountains, keeping temperatures warmer than would otherwise be the case.  Basically all the land surrounding the bay itself is in USDA zone 10a, and some (parts of SF and the East Bay) are zone 10b.  The zone 10b areas are a bit heat challenged, except for a tiny part of Oakland near Lake Merrit that has the best of both worlds and is probably comparable to the zone 10b parts of Santa Barbara county, and has the benefit of getting enough rain that most fruit trees don't require irrigation once established.  But even the rest of the East Bay from Milpitas to Richmond/El Sobrante are solidly 10a and many of those spots like Hayward and Fremont get decent warmth too.

I sort of see it as a tradeoff -- living further South means more warmth and less rain, and living further North means less warmth and more rain.  From a fruit perspective it's just a question of finding a balance that works for the trees you want to grow.  Poring over the climate data a few years back, I found that the station at Hearst Castle has the magic balance -- frost free, decent warmth, and plentiful rainfall.  If only it weren't so remote and it were possible to live there...

10a & 10b wishful thinking guys. New Port Beach waters are warmer now than they will ever reach in the peak of summer in the Bay area. SF is not Malaga Spain or in the Mediterranean. Where is the proof of all these Bay area tropicals? I see ONE successful mango when I do a google search. As the previous poster correctly points out it's the cold rainy winter temps that's the problem.

Frank, USDA zones have a very specific technical definition, so I just mean it in that way.  10a equals average annual minimum >= 30 F.  10b equals average annual minimum >= 35 F.  What I said about those locations matches the data.  Parts of Oakland and SF (and a few other small microclimates) are 10b.  Lots of other areas in the bay area are 10a, with more inland areas 9b.

But of course that doesn't mean that there's sufficient heat to fruit mangos -- that's where growing degree days are useful to look at.  Southern California has about double the growing degree days of Northern California, and places like South Florida and Hawaii have double the growing degree days of Southern California.  So obviously it's hard to find a prolific mango loaded with giant sweet fruits in Northern California, just like it's hard to find a prolific jackfruit loaded with giant sweet fruits in Southern California.  And yet all of those include some USDA zone 10b -- it's just the growing degree days that make the difference.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:05:46 AM by barath »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »
It is sad to see those mangoes were damaged by the winter cold. I bet if they let the trees grow tall – like the funny video in Arizona – then the high canopy could protect the trees better. The “famers” of this place seemed to love chopping all trees low, including the nearby figs trees.

I think the Mango trees in the Arizona video had more protection than just high canopy.

I live only 9 miles away in a box canyon and have higher morning temps when there is frost warning at the farm.

Stan

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »
Well,the south bay area waters get warm in summer...70's-maybe 80f+. Helps. My Baileys have fruited the last two years. Sweet.  I have many tropicals growing here. Cycas thoursii,Tree Aloes, Tree Euphorbia's like E.ammak and E.abysinnica. Pachypodium lamerii has been in ground about 10 years now. I have old Howea palms. Triangle palm. A seedling a year ago..does fine. Orchids like the Laelia's do fine. I have a whole variety of stuff. Tequila Agave 'Webers Blue'.
Tree ferns like Cyathea medullaris..loves the cooler humid air in part shade.
Most of what I have are..10a type plants.  I've seen many soucal type Ficus growing here. Even though they usually grow slower and not as large...they grow.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2016, 04:10:21 AM »
For what it's worth, here's some growing degree day data I compiled and posted a while back:

A while back I spent some time collecting GDD50 data averages for various cities using the weather.com calculator (which they seem to have broken recently) and various other sources, mostly on the West Coast of the U.S.  To that list I've mixed in a few other locations from around the world and pasted it below (rounded to the nearest 100).

2000 - Seattle
2500 - Portland
3300 - Algarve
3400 - Oakland
3800 - San Jose
4300 - Santa Barbara
5000 - San Diego
5600 - Los Angeles
6400 - East Los Angeles
7400 - Houston
7400 - Brisbane
8700 - Hilo
9600 - Miami
9800 - Rio de Janeiro
9900 - Honolulu
10100 - Puerto Vallarta
10800 - Santo Domingo
12400 - Singapore and Bangkok
12600 - Chennai

Stan

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
I guess Hayward would be between Oakland and San Jose in warmth. I miss some features of weather.com too. They used to do "compare city's. I think the closest I could find was Adelaide in Australia..plenty of others were close. Lisbon for one, I think Johanseburg- dont hold me on that one.

Btw- I had friends go back (for the first time n 20 years) to the Philippines to visit relatives. In April.  They were going to stay 3 weeks. It was so hot- 90's and lows of 80+ and humid,they left a week early. Once you get used to "3,500", the 13,000 (your graph) of Manila must be unbearable.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »
I guess Hayward would be between Oakland and San Jose in warmth. I miss some features of weather.com too. They used to do "compare city's. I think the closest I could find was Adelaide in Australia..plenty of others were close. Lisbon for one, I think Johanseburg- dont hold me on that one.

Btw- I had friends go back (for the first time n 20 years) to the Philippines to visit relatives. In April.  They were going to stay 3 weeks. It was so hot- 90's and lows of 80+ and humid,they left a week early. Once you get used to "3,500", the 13,000 (your graph) of Manila must be unbearable.

Yeah.  For me and for plants I think San Diego is about perfect in terms of both zone and heat -- warm enough but not too warm.  I didn't appreciate it enough when I lived there...until I moved to Western Massachusetts.

I have been curious whether there are any cities with a higher growing degree days level than Chennai.  I think there's a city further south in India that has slightly hotter weather, but not too much hotter.  There are desert cities in other parts of the world that are hotter at certain times of year, but overall have lower growing degree days.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
Barath - what do you think Palm Springs would be?????

Thanks, Gary H

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

Frank, USDA zones have a very specific technical definition, so I just mean it in that way.  10a equals average annual minimum >= 30 F.  10b equals average annual minimum >= 35 F.  What I said about those locations matches the data.  Parts of Oakland and SF (and a few other small microclimates) are 10b.  Lots of other areas in the bay area are 10a, with more inland areas 9b.

But of course that doesn't mean that there's sufficient heat to fruit mangos -- that's where growing degree days are useful to look at.  Southern California has about double the growing degree days of Northern California, and places like South Florida and Hawaii have double the growing degree days of Southern California.  So obviously it's hard to find a prolific mango loaded with giant sweet fruits in Northern California, just like it's hard to find a prolific jackfruit loaded with giant sweet fruits in Southern California.  And yet all of those include some USDA zone 10b -- it's just the growing degree days that make the difference.

Barath
they may be specific when it come to average annual minimum but it means nothing when you are trying to go grow tropocals which demand certain heat requirement. For example, La Habra and Miami are 10b zones but there are many tropicals they can grow  that we can't...... and you are wrong about Jackfruits there are many prolific jackfruits growing here but they wouldn't survive a year in your so call 10a/b northern california climate. USDA zone are  horrible guideline when it comes down to growing tropicals and can be easily be misleading to posters that read this forum so let's get it right and stop manipulating it.

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
Yeah so called 10a 10b northern California is way different than 10a 10b Florida. It's a latitude issue   

Barath
they may be specific when it come to average annual minimum but it means nothing when you are trying to go grow tropocals which demand certain heat requirement. For example, La Habra and Miami are 10b zones but there are many tropicals they can grow  that we can't...... and you are wrong about Jackfruits there are many prolific jackfruits growing here but they wouldn't survive a year in your so call 10a/b northern california climate. USDA zone are  horrible guideline when it comes down to growing tropicals and can be easily be misleading to posters that read this forum so let's get it right and stop manipulating it.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »
Barath

Exactly, I think we are in agreement.  No single metric can answer every question.  Both USDA zone and growing degree days are needed at a minimum, and even they aren't sufficient.  Growing heat doesn't help figure out what will survive -- desert areas of California have higher growing degree days than Orange County (Palm Springs and El Centro both have growing degree days around 8400), but they usually have lower average minimums, obviously.  And even those two metrics aren't useful when evaluating a highland tropical like Passiflora antioquiensis, which is almost perfectly suited to growing and producing excellent fruit in San Francisco but very few other places in California because it needs Zone 10b plus the right amount of growing heat but also no days with temperatures over 85 F.

About jackfruits, yes you can get them to fruit okay in SoCal but nothing like what I've seen in India, for example.  There's no comparison.  That's exactly the point you're making -- the accumulated heat makes a difference.  Same with mangos by analogy -- there are a few fruiting mangos in the bay area (like the one in Fremont Stan has mentioned, and there was one in San Rafael), but they are more of one of a kind trees rather than something that anyone can grow anywhere, just like jackfruits in SoCal.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 02:09:18 PM »
Barath - what do you think Palm Springs would be?????

Thanks, Gary H

Here's Palm Springs:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliGCStG.pl?ca6635

Stan

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »
Barath

Exactly, I think we are in agreement.  No single metric can answer every question.  Both USDA zone and growing degree days are needed at a minimum, and even they aren't sufficient.  Growing heat doesn't help figure out what will survive -- desert areas of California have higher growing degree days than Orange County (Palm Springs and El Centro both have growing degree days around 8400), but they usually have lower average minimums, obviously.  And even those two metrics aren't useful when evaluating a highland tropical like Passiflora antioquiensis, which is almost perfectly suited to growing and producing excellent fruit in San Francisco but very few other places in California because it needs Zone 10b plus the right amount of growing heat but also no days with temperatures over 85 F.

About jackfruits, yes you can get them to fruit okay in SoCal but nothing like what I've seen in India, for example.  There's no comparison.  That's exactly the point you're making -- the accumulated heat makes a difference.  Same with mangos by analogy -- there are a few fruiting mangos in the bay area (like the one in Fremont Stan has mentioned, and there was one in San Rafael), but they are more of one of a kind trees rather than something that anyone can grow anywhere, just like jackfruits in SoCal.

When you say one of a kind...thats just who's posting results on the net for the bay area . Tammy in Marin county had a Glenn and a few others going. She simply stopped when she started a family.
Also,JF is bit behind the times. The USDA raised the bay area based on warmer period. It was 3 million people in the bay area in 1970.Now its pushing 7. I notice Soucal and Phoenix will embrace urban warming as having a big effect. Works here in the bay area too.
I know that "Delonix" Andy,who posts on Palm board from San Diego lived in Hayward and Fremont. He says he grew sweet TROPICAL Guava's in Hayward. He also left behind a Manila Mango..even African flame tree. He says parts of Fremont are frost free and nearly sub tropical. He would know..lived in both cities.
The tropical Papaya is not easy. I have Maridol 3 years now outdoors in ground. I will settle for its tropical look. But as I understand it,tropical Papaya's can be tough even in soucal,unless its a great microclimate.
Its been 26 years since a hard freeze. Thats why JF,what you would see is a 26 year old soucal up here if you looked. Not the 150 year soucal. Still,we got some big GBOP, Shaving brush palms...Tree Aloe's.
The tree sized Mangoes might be 10 more years..but we are getting there.

Ficus benjamina in Hayward. Its a start.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:15:46 PM by Stan »

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
I notice Soucal and Phoenix will embrace urban warming as having a big effect.

Very true.

I remember talking to Julie Frink about this -- she mentioned talking with her parents about the change in growing zones in SoCal -- they remembered when Anaheim regularly experienced frost (I assume this was something like 70-80 years ago).  Looking at the recent data, 1990 was the last year Anaheim went below 32 F.  Anaheim's station doesn't have records that go back that far, but as an example, Santa Ana's station experienced regular frost until the 1960s, after which there has been a clear warming trend likely attributable to a combination of climate change and the urban heat island effect:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca7888

Only places like Santa Monica Pier, right on the water, seem to have been mostly unaffected, though the trend is visible there too:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca7953

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »

Very true.

I remember talking to Julie Frink about this -- she mentioned talking with her parents about the change in growing zones in SoCal -- they remembered when Anaheim regularly experienced frost (I assume this was something like 70-80 years ago).  Looking at the recent data, 1990 was the last year Anaheim went below 32 F.  Anaheim's station doesn't have records that go back that far, but as an example, Santa Ana's station experienced regular frost until the 1960s, after which there has been a clear warming trend likely attributable to a combination of climate change and the urban heat island effect:

Only places like Santa Monica Pier, right on the water, seem to have been mostly unaffected, though the trend is visible there too:

Anaheim saw 30 degrees in January 2002.

San Jose sees 30 degree and below temps every single year and not just for a night. The millions of people have not changed that at all.

Right now at 1pm in San Jose it's about 63 degrees F with a low of around 50 F expected. In SFL Its 87 degrees with a low of 72. The climate in NorCA - couple months of hot hot dry summer weather and couple months of cold cold damp winter weather and in between are mild days and cool nights. That kind of weather is not cozy for tropicals

Stan

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »

Very true.

Anaheim saw 30 degrees in January 2002.

San Jose sees 30 degree and below temps every single year and not just for a night. The millions of people have not changed that at all.

Right now at 1pm in San Jose it's about 63 degrees F with a low of around 50 F expected. In SFL Its 87 degrees with a low of 72. The climate in NorCA - couple months of hot hot dry summer weather and couple months of cold cold damp winter weather and in between are mild days and cool nights. That kind of weather is not cozy for tropicals
We work with it. Subtropicals thrive. Hawaii like growth you wont see. Its Tortoise and Hare. Does it take 20 years for a Mango to be a tree here?. Then start today. Heck I planted one Howea in 1992.its just now growing above my home that is on a 3foot foundation. If I hadn't plant it...
The bay area has never been called a subtropical climate. But,I pick Monstera fruits and Mango here and there. I wouldn't open a orchard for them.
btw- I have no greenhouse. So Huperzia- Laelia's and all the rest are out to the weather.
I THINK this is a Longon tree at the Fremont subtropical fruit park.

Or this?

Also depends on where in San Jose. Closer to the bay,its been moved to 10a. South San Jose is still 9b. Our Microclimates are minutes apart sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:16:48 PM by Stan »

gpuccio

• Southwest Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »
True and I always tell friends and family there to take advantage of what you can grow well there and to try things.

Stan

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 09:37:57 PM »
I have relatives in Miami. Coconuts and Mangoes are so easy. Mango tree's everywhere. When they come here to visit? They like the cacti and succulents I have and don't pay any attention to the jungle plants. Except for the the big Tree fern.  They also are amazed at no mosquito's. I tell them you need a puddle of water for them,no puddles in California in whatever month they visit that isnt winter :D.

Back to Mangoes in Ventura. If those were cared for like a homeowner would do? That is about 3x the amount of water and quality and consistent regular fertilizing? They would look perfect. Heck,if right now somebody at the garden just trimmed off the dead leafs,they would look worlds better.

Dont they top the commercial Mangoes in the Coachella Valley? Try that with Avocado's.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:19 AM »
I think there is no Longan at that Fremont Park.  The lower pic looks like Davidson's Plum.  That said I bet Longan is doable in Fremont.  Fremont and Hayward benefit from a lack of cold as well as some heat.  They buck the tred of warer areas, colder winters in the Bay Area.  Tropical Guavas are doable in a lot of Bay Area places. 

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2016, 02:18:14 AM »
Stan, the 2nd picture for sure is an ice cream bean, not longan.  I got both of them growing in my backyard.

Stan

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »
Thanks Brian.Kn. That's what happens when you try to ID something you haven't grown. ;D

The Fremont subtropical orchard does have flyers,(but the plants like in Ventura just need mucho TLC) and some were not where marked. Others were missing or replaced with something exotic but not edible. One of the very few places to see a Bo Tree (Ficus religiosa) for example that is a small tree in the bay area.

One more in defense of the bay area.. That 60 in SJ while 87 in Miami? You could have looked at Los Angeles at the same time and saw 62F. Once May and June rolls around,May/June gloom can be deeper in soucal than the bay area.
Except for today!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »
Thanks Brian.Kn. That's what happens when you try to ID something you haven't grown. ;D

The Fremont subtropical orchard does have flyers,(but the plants like in Ventura just need mucho TLC) and some were not where marked. Others were missing or replaced with something exotic but not edible. One of the very few places to see a Bo Tree (Ficus religiosa) for example that is a small tree in the bay area.

One more in defense of the bay area.. That 60 in SJ while 87 in Miami? You could have looked at Los Angeles at the same time and saw 62F. Once May and June rolls around,May/June gloom can be deeper in soucal than the bay area.
Except for today!

What??? it was 85F yesterday in La Habra. Look at barath degree date data. La Habra is around the same as Brisbane 7400. I was in Monterey in August last year they were raving about of their record breaking water temps 68F. It was near 80 most of the summer in Orange Country.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2016, 08:11:31 PM »

Except for today!

What??? it was 85F yesterday in La Habra. Look at barath degree date data. La Habra is around the same as Brisbane 7400. I was in Monterey in August last year they were raving about of their record breaking water temps 68F. It was near 80 most of the summer in Orange Country.

Almost, yeah.  The highest growing degree days weather station in SoCal in zone 10b (i.e. frost free) is the one I listed as East LA -- it's actually the Montebello station, growing degree days 6400 (not 7400).  I looked at the data for all the stations in the area.  Given other weather data, it appears most of the cities from Montebello to Yorba Linda are basically the same, so 6400.  It's not surprising that Brisbane is higher (nor Houston) given that they are closer to the equator by several degrees.

Stan

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »
Right now at 5:25 pm its 68f in Hayward and 67f in Los Angeles. I only can go by what the weather channel says. 80's-mid 80's here by Tuesday. No 80's all next week in Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:18:43 PM by Stan »

Stan

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »
Also,I know we are getting into microclimates if we are going to do inland soucal. It would be sort of like me including Livermore or Modesto's 90f as bay area. I think we compare well with Ventura and coastal Santa Barbara for warmth. Well enough to try and use fences,walls,...to help.  I wouldnt even begrusge somebody who planted  Condo Mangoes in the bay area and built a simple plastic sheeting cover to boost the warmth.

I have so much crushed together...I can't see doing that for myself. But,its a good idea.

The point is..parts of the bay area compare to coastal soucal's cooler areas spring-summer-fall. If you can pick a Mango a block away from the Santa Barbara/Monica beaches (Royal palms too) you can do it in the bay area. Just everything a bit slower.

I always encourage people to try tropicals up here. Especially if they do great in soucal. Great in Hawaii,doesn't help at all-lol.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:37:33 PM by Stan »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk