Author Topic: Jakfruit 2016  (Read 20226 times)

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Jakfruit 2016
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
HAHAHA As much as I like excalibur, I think you pretty much have a 75% chance of the label matching any given tree, It's kind of a pot luck.

My excalibur gold is not long either.

Any other guesses as what cultivar this is?  Here's a couple pictures before it was cut.  It's definitely grafted.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
Post a picture of the tree and a close up of a typical leaf. I have 26 grafted varieties in the ground. Maybe I can find a match if the leaf has distinct characteristics.  This is a long shot since I cannot really tell many of them apart from looking at leaves.
Brandon

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »

Here you go. What do you think? 

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2016, 12:26:04 AM »
I got home after dark today so I  did not have a chance to compare but from memory, I don't think I have the same tree.  My trees have leaves that are either fully rounded at the tips or they have well defined points at the tips. Your leaves seem mostly rounded with a slight point at the tip. Tabouey is supposed to have long skinny fruit but they are typically lumpy from uneven pollination. Anyone have a Tabouey tree?
Brandon

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
Anyone else growing RS-22 besides me? Whenever it was introduced (along with tangerine/cantaloupe) it was 3 feet, and it's now about 7+ feet

I also have an red morning, but it's about 2 feet from a canal so it's not as healthy

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
SleepDoc and I had a impromptu jak tasting today.  Five different varieties, four fresh and one refrigerated, (from left to right) Cristella, Bangkok Lemon, Cheena, and J31.  Not pictured was the refrigerated Excalibur, which was the least enjoyable (even when fresh) but still a good fruit.  The BKL was a bit early and could have used another day's ripening.  It was lemony and crunchy but was not fully flavored.  This fruit goes from lemony to sugar sweet depending on how long you let it sit.  My perfect eating stage is to pick it the day it softens on the tree and letting it ripen a day on the kitchen counter.  Others seem to enjoy it after 3 days of counter ripening.  Cristella and Cheena were both strong flavored fruits.  I enjoy strong flavorings but these are not for everyone.  Cheena has a soft texture. Cristella has a firm texture but I think the Cheena's flavor was a bit better.  J31 was right on the money.  The flavor was very good, like bazooka bubble gum but not overpowering, and the texture was firm.  I think that a large group of people would have given J31 the top prize for the day but, in the flavor department, I personally liked the cheena best.   

Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk