Author Topic: Ants, to kill or not to Kill  (Read 29756 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Ants, to kill or not to Kill
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »
want to get rid of fire ants living in the soil of a containerized tree?

but don't want to use any pesticide?

here is a nifty little trick I figured out.

1). locate the tree that is infested with fire ants
2). carefully (without provoking the ants too much), move the plant to a location where you don't mind the ants going (maybe out in your yard, or on the driveway).
3). lay the plant down on it's side (just as if the wind had blown it over), preferably so the bottom  (or the side) of the pot is facing the sun (usually southern exposure is best).
4). make sure to keep the tree hydrated, you can stand it up and water it if need be, or you can just wet the whole plant thoroughly with a hose.

it takes about 3-4 days usually (at least at my house with 3 gal nursery stock), but the ants will just pick up and leave.

my theory is, they have their colony set up so the bottom of the pot is the coolest place to be.  When you turn the pot on it's side, it flips their world upside down, and changes the temperature of the colony, turning the deepest darkest, most comfortable places, into  the warmest, most inhospitable places to be during the hottest part of the day.

I have done this on several occasions, and it works for any tree in a pot, the larger the pot, the longer it takes.

at the final phase of their emigration, there will be residual worker ants left prowling about the tree, but the majority of the ants are gone...and the colony is totally disrupted, forced to relocate elsewhere.

(of course remember, plants with fragile roots, plants that are freshly repotted, and not rooted, and plants that are sensitive to high heat, may be harmed by this method if you are not careful)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:38:44 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »
Interesting information about the thermoregulation of a fire ant colony, supports my theory

http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/Place/60360510/publications/Porter-1994(M-2934).pdf
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2015, 12:44:16 AM »
For the ant lovers out there I got a GREAT deal for you. There's a real real rare exotic ant called a FIRE ant and I have a couple secret places where there are zillions of them.  I will sell them for 1/2  penny each if you order 100,000 or more.  Hurry limited supply First come First served.
Seriously I went to Atlanta last summer and I was hiking in North Georgia one afternoon. I got a mess of ants on my hand and arms and I immediately started smacking them off, but wait they weren't biting me What an ant that doesn't bite you!  What a strange sensation ants crawling on you and no pain. Come on Northerners you need to buy some of these Exotic Fire ants. They're great for parties and such. :o
I wish I has a nickel for everyone that bit me.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
My garden has different types of ants and,  among these the cutter ants which really devour my citrus plants. I have been having  partial success using Mirex (sulphuramide) granules on their trail. They carry these granules in the underground   holes/nests  and I do not see their activity
after about 2-3 days.   
        I would like to know  the experience of other readers who have used sulphuramide granules.  Also I have noticed that cutter ants if not exterminated, they come back and attack the same tree when it spouts new leaves in preference to other nearby plants of the same type.
Do the ants have memory ? Do they leave traces of any substance  on the tree which they attacked previously and brings  them back ?  I also have noted that ants prefer young leaves or recently planted plants.
                                                                                                               mangaba

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk