Author Topic: Reddest Jackfruit  (Read 28407 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Reddest Jackfruit
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
I once saw a picture of a jackfruit with flesh that was a deep red.

The closest to red that I've seen in person is in the pic below and it was only a orangeish-red.

What is the most red colored jackfruit that you guys have seen? Please post pics. Only of jackfruit you've actually seen yourself though.

Edit: I can't find the pic. I am looking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:32:25 PM by murahilin »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Reddest Jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
I saw a photo of some vendors in Chatuchak market in Bangkok selling trees, and they had a poster of the fruit. It was as i recall reddish-orange colored. I think Warren may have that photo?
Oscar
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
Even the Borneo Red is just a darker shade of orange and not really red. My friend George has a Borneo that is currently loaded with fruit. I'll take some photos when the fruit ripens.....   
FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
Still can't find my pic. I think I may have lost it.

A seller on ebay is selling the Dang Suria jackfruit but I think the photo is doctored and not really that red. I would like to see a youtube video or something of a red jackfruit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-Fruit-Red-flesh-A-heterophyllus-1-Plant-/270908269621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13642435

On page 80 of the jackfruit book I posted earlier today there is reference to a "reddish" and a "reddish orange" jackfruit. Also, a creamy white.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »
Still can't find my pic. I think I may have lost it.

A seller on ebay is selling the Dang Suria jackfruit but I think the photo is doctored and not really that red. I would like to see a youtube video or something of a red jackfruit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-Fruit-Red-flesh-A-heterophyllus-1-Plant-/270908269621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13642435

On page 80 of the jackfruit book I posted earlier today there is reference to a "reddish" and a "reddish orange" jackfruit. Also, a creamy white.
I have never seen a Dang Suria of that color...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »

I don't know of any dang surias in FL. Only dang suria seedlings. Where have you seen an actual dang suria?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »

I don't know of any dang surias in FL. Only dang suria seedlings. Where have you seen an actual dang suria?
As far as I know they are just seedlings but they are still nowhere near that intense or deep of a color.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:15:33 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
As far as I know they are just seedlings but they are still nowhere near that intense of a color.

That sucks. I was hoping you actually knew of one so I wouldn't have to order one from Thailand. Lol.

I am very interested in trying to get the actual tree to see how dark it is.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
As far as I know they are just seedlings but they are still nowhere near that intense of a color.

That sucks. I was hoping you actually knew of one so I wouldn't have to order one from Thailand. Lol.

I am very interested in trying to get the actual tree to see how dark it is.
Until Richard "revealed" the Excalibur Red, I thought the Dang Suria/Red Morning (seedling) was one of the best tasting jaks...right up there with Mai 1, Mai 3 and Bangkok Lemon.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
Until Richard "revealed" the Excalibur Red, I thought the Dang Suria/Red Morning (seedling) was one of the best tasting jaks...right up there with Mai 1, Mai 3 and Bangkok Lemon.

Those dang suria seedlings were so variable though. Many were good but like I've said in previous posts one of the worst tasting jackfruits I ever had was a dang suria seedling. Tasted like sulfur.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

Those dang suria seedlings were so variable though. Many were good but like I've said in previous posts one of the worst tasting jackfruits I ever had was a dang suria seedling. Tasted like sulfur.
I believe you...wish I could have had one that were like that so I could taste what yo were describing.  I also wish you coiuld have tried some of the ones from last Novemberish time period.  I had fruit from at least three different fruit and all outstanding.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:08:11 AM »
Even the Borneo Red is just a darker shade of orange and not really red. My friend George has a Borneo that is currently loaded with fruit. I'll take some photos when the fruit ripens.....   

Hey Noel......when George gets some ripe fruit from Borneo Red, I would appreciate you letting me know.  If there is anyway that I could buy/trade or beg for some to try I would also very much appreciate it,  My tree is blooming but is too small to set fruit. Thanks in advance.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »
I'm with Harry on that one, would like to purchase some as well. Definitely try and take some pictures of the flesh for the forum.

_JoeP450

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
If I remember correctly, there is actually one planted out at fairchild farm.

Jeff  :-)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
If I remember correctly, there is actually one planted out at fairchild farm.

Thanks for that info Jeff. I am going to see if I can get some budwood from it soon.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
If memory serves, it's right in the patio area in back of the house.
Jeff  :-)

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »

Hey Noel......when George gets some ripe fruit from Borneo Red, I would appreciate you letting me know.  If there is anyway that I could buy/trade or beg for some to try I would also very much appreciate it,  My tree is blooming but is too small to set fruit. Thanks in advance.

Harry

No problem. I have a few already reserved. I tried the Borneo Red from the F&S park and it was awesome. The only negative about the BR is that are not as many edible carpels like some of the other good Jaks.

By the way, this past summer I tasted the fruit of a seedling Jak that was brought to the RFCI meeting and it was superb and tasted like banana and pineapple. Most people that tasted it said it was probably the best Jakfruit they had ever eaten. I would rank it as among the best and I have tried at least 12 or 15 varieties. I know where the seedling tree is and I was invited to get budwood.   

FloridaGreenMan

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
I just found this photo from the same guy that sells the Red Jak plants on E-Bay. Could they be real? 

FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
I just found this photo from the same guy that sells the Red Jak plants on E-Bay. Could they be real? 

I don't see why not. There are breadfruits with orange pulp, so why not jackfruits with reddish pulp? I've never seen em though. But nowadays with Photoshop anybody can easily alter a photo also.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:10:29 PM »

Some of Richard's Dang Suria seedlings are close to that color (which is not as deep of a red color as the ebay link murahilin posted above).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:13:33 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
I was at Excalibur 2-3 months ago and I lifted up the lid to a cooler and inside was a zip lock bag of cleaned arils and labeled on the bag was "Excalibur red." this was bright red as in the picture with "questionable authenticity" I mean I saw this with my own eyes. For some reason I closed the lid and dismissed the thought of buying that bag of fruit, I regret it and I'll just have to wait till next season. Bottom line the flesh was radiant and very pretty, just hope it tastes as good as it looks...

_JoeP450

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
Watch out though, from seed you can't be sure it will be same color aril, or even good tasting. I brought back seeds from Thailand of an orange jack that was excellent tasting. Planted 3 trees, all 3 turned out to be junk and non-orange junk.  :'(
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
Watch out though, from seed you can't be sure it will be same color aril, or even good tasting. I brought back seeds from Thailand of an orange jack that was excellent tasting. Planted 3 trees, all 3 turned out to be junk and non-orange junk.  :'(
Oscar
Oscar, and others, trust me when I state this, the jaks which will be named Excalibur Red were very consistent and of outstanding quality.  The trees are being grafted onto its own rootstock (budwood from the producing trees grafted onto seedlings from the fruit produced).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
Does Excalibur ship plants?
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »
No they don't.  If you are interested in one, I will get with murahilin to see what it takes to get one to you once they are available.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk