Author Topic: Visit Grimal Grove on Jan 17-20, 2014  (Read 21875 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Visit Grimal Grove on Jan 17-20, 2014
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
I just got the seeds last month from someone on the forum. They are just starting to sprout, but Im sure it'll the same as breadfruit
- David Antonio Garcia

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 06:34:28 AM »
Is this still on?

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »
 I'll call Patrick(the guy who is taking care of Grimal Grove) tomorrow for an update.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
Hi, congrats for the project.

Seing this:

maybe if you could add a lot more fruit trees the "invasive" ones will not be a problem in the future.
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
I'll call Patrick(the guy who is taking care of Grimal Grove) tomorrow for an update.

I've been trying to get an interview with him for Tropical Fruit News for a few months with no luck. Here's hoping you'll have more success!
But no - I hope this materializes and hope folks can have a great experience.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »

I've been trying to get an interview with him for Tropical Fruit News for a few months with no luck. Here's hoping you'll have more success!
But no - I hope this materializes and hope folks can have a great experience.

I just left a message for him now, I forgot to call the other day. His wife just had twins, so I think he had his hands pretty full.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 09:08:40 PM »
I signed up for the half marathon in the keys on the 18th mainly so I could coordinate the trip, so I hope it's not cancelled!

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
If it's needed I am sure I could dig up a few trees to ship.
Jackson

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
So whats the word? Are we going?
- David Antonio Garcia

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »
I finally got a hold of Patrick, or rather he got a hold of me. It turns out he has been calling me for a couple of days now, but I left my phone in Miami when I went to visit my family in DC... woops :o. He emailed me and he said that they finally bought the property, I asked what is the situation with donating trees in the email, and he said we are still on for the visit to Grimal Grove. I am waiting for the response. And triloba tracker, two things: first I tracked my own asimina triloba in DC and I am bringing back budwood, the variety wilson ;D ;D, second would you like for me to ask about the interview?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:45:24 PM by omarudy »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
triloba tracker, two things: first I tracked my own asimina triloba in DC and I am bringing back budwood, the variety wilson ;D ;D, second would you like for me to ask about the interview?

Very nice!!  Don't want to go off on a tangent, but where'd you find it? I hadn't heard of Wilson (that's not saying much). I have several wild and crossed seeds stratifying in my fridge right now..we'll see! Not sure exactly what I'll do with them.

And thanks for the offer of assistance!  I actually got an email myself the other day so the ball is sorta in my court. Fortunately for me it's not so much of a rush :)

Hope the Grimal trip rocks...

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »
Hey everyone,

I had a further discussion with Patrick and everything is a go, he hasnt heard from Tamara in a while, so he asked me two things. It is set for Jan.17-20th, and he wanted to know: 1. How many people are going?, 2. Does everyone have accomodations?

So if you are going for this set date, Jan.17-20th, please write down your name on this post to confirm. And as a group would you want to do lodging at a local church or do you want to just book seperate hotels (get a discount for the group), or people want to go just for a single day within those dates.

He has to create the itinerary so whoever wants to join please tell me asap. He said he will be able to do some cool stuff with the group. ;D

And as for the donations, he said yes he is accepting trees, so say which trees you want to donate as well.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
triloba tracker, two things: first I tracked my own asimina triloba in DC and I am bringing back budwood, the variety wilson ;D ;D, second would you like for me to ask about the interview?

Very nice!!  Don't want to go off on a tangent, but where'd you find it? I hadn't heard of Wilson (that's not saying much). I have several wild and crossed seeds stratifying in my fridge right now..we'll see! Not sure exactly what I'll do with them.

And thanks for the offer of assistance!  I actually got an email myself the other day so the ball is sorta in my court. Fortunately for me it's not so much of a rush :)

Hope the Grimal trip rocks...

I found the pawpaw in Fort Hunt near Alexandria just exploring, I have no pawpaw to graft it onto, so what I am going to do is graft it onto a cherimoya just to keep the scion alive (as they later show graft incompatibility in the second or third year) until I get a seedling or tree to graft it on to.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »
Hey everyone,

I had a further discussion with Patrick and everything is a go, he hasnt heard from Tamara in a while, so he asked me two things. It is set for Jan.17-20th, and he wanted to know: 1. How many people are going?, 2. Does everyone have accomodations?

So if you are going for this set date, Jan.17-20th, please write down your name on this post to confirm. And as a group would you want to do lodging at a local church or do you want to just book seperate hotels (get a discount for the group), or people want to go just for a single day within those dates.

He has to create the itinerary so whoever wants to join please tell me asap. He said he will be able to do some cool stuff with the group. ;D

And as for the donations, he said yes he is accepting trees, so say which trees you want to donate as well.

For those donating trees, try to donate quality grafted or airlayered trees if possible. Some species do well from seedling but many would be better off asexually propagated. So please consider that before donating.

Also, try to donate rare things and not something that can be bought at a local nursery easily.

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'll be in for a day or two probably Friday and Saturday..I'll most likely lodge at a hotel.

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2014, 10:39:36 AM »
If seedlings are donated is there gonna be someone there to care for them? or a greenhouse? I'm not sure if they want seedlings but I have A. chama and a couple of Luc's garcinia sp. I can donate.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »
I'm going and will probably just stay at a hotel
- David Antonio Garcia

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
Hey everyone,

I talked with Patrick and he is going to make an account on the forum to post information about the trip and the itinerary.

growinghope

• United States, Florida, Big Pine Key, plant zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • http://growinghopeinitiative.org/
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
I wanted to introduce myself and our organization, Growing Hope Initiative (GHI).  My name is Patrick Garvey and I'm the founder and director for GHI. After 2 years of building a campaign to save the Grimal Grove, we were able to overcome $800,000 of fines levied against the property. This past November we were able to raise enough funds to close on  the property. For more info you can visit  our website @ http://growinghopeinitiative.org/grimal-grove/
Now that we have overcome some of these obstacles, we can move forward clearing and designing the grove. We are excited to have you come down Jan 17 - 20. Our plan is to focus on group activities the 18th and 19th from 9 AM - 4PM. If you plan to be here either on the Friday or Saturday, there is still plenty for you to do. Some of the things we want to get accomplished: clear two small sections from invasives; tour property and discuss design; investigate the intricate irrigation system; optional yoga (bring mats if you want to participate) a chocolate-cacao workshop and potluck.
I need to know how many are coming so I can plan properly. The size of group will impact the activities.  Please email me ASAP @ patrickbgarvey@gmail.com confirming your attendance by Friday, Jan 10th. Please include name and contact info, as well which days you'll be at the grove. We can accept tree donations at this time but we can't take seedlings. I'll be creating a more concrete  agenda in the next week depending on size of group. We will not be charging but donations are greatly appreciated to help keep the grove alive.
thanks,
Patrick

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2014, 04:04:20 PM »
Thanks Patrick! And here is a reminder for everyone that the deadline is Friday to sign up.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
What happened? I was there this morning helping mulch but no one else from the forum was there. (I wanted to chop down trees, but they declined my offer.)

It was pretty cool with all the cisterns and carved out microclimate areas.

There are tons of huge sapodilla trees in the keys. They really are such beautiful ornamental trees.

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
Hi Hollywood,

People are going on different days, I am going tomorrow.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Does anybody have some pictures?
Richard

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2014, 07:22:39 PM »
I forgot to take pictures and my camera died anyway. I am going to post soon a thread on the trip, and a couple of things.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:40 AM »
Yeah, pictures would be nice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk