Author Topic: Juicy Peach mango cultivar -- any good?  (Read 26843 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Juicy Peach mango cultivar -- any good?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
Juicy Peach is a seedling from Tommy Atkins.  Fruit is smaller and shaped differently than a TA.  It does not have the fiber of the TA.  It does, or did, have a peachy citrusy flavor.  While I believe it is good to very good, it IMO not as good as Lemon Zest or Peach Cobbler aka O-2.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
wow Rob's back! Thanks for the input. I went ahead and planted one out :-).
Jeff  :-)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing.  And right on time for this thread. 

Thanks, Rob.  I will go with peach cobbler over juicy peach
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »
Thanks, Rob!    Sounds like I should be babying my Peach Cobbler and not worry about Juicy.

I'm also thrilled that my Lemon Zest, in its first year of blooming, has won top honors in my yard as far as setting fruit.
My Sweet Tart, also a first-timer, hasn't done as well as Zands',  but still hints that I'll be tasting a few from it this year  :D   I remember one purchased Sweet Tart being too tart for me, but a couple others being perfectly balanced and loaded with flavor.

Dupuis and Maha set zero fruit, but the trees are small. Maybe the trees are just being prudent.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
I would also agree that Sweet Tart is far superior to Juicy Peach.  Yes, I have changed my opinion of Sweet Tart after eating many properly picked and ripened fruits.  If picked too early,  it is insipid.  Sweet Tart does seem to have some shoulder splitting or cracking issues however its taste and texture outweigh the flaws.  Just keep an eye on the fruit, if need be pick as shoulders begin to color (yellow).
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Ms Marlys indicated that juicy peach was really good. Seemed like squam (alex) liked it? Alex?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Juicy Peach is definitely a worthy mango, just not as good as Lemon Zest,  Sweet Tart,  Peach Cobbler or even Pineapple Pleasure (which seems to be a shy bearer compare to the others).  I actually have a Juicy Peach if that says anything.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »
ahh ok. Hopefully it will take after the tommy atkins and bear heavily and consistently :-).

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »
Ms Marlys indicated that juicy peach was really good. Seemed like squam (alex) liked it? Alex?

Loved it. Hope it bears well.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 06:49:02 AM »
I haven't found much in the way of a description of the Juicy Peach mango.

Has anyone had enough experience to describe its flavor, size, or ?

Is it a Zill variety?

I never heard of a "juicy" peach mango but in the early 80's I had a peach mango. I bought it in a garbage can that the owner had pulled out of the ground and stuck it in the can. I planted it, fed it lots of fish carcasses and it grew huge in 5 years. I was told that it was an "old" cultivar, where it originated I do not know but I wish I had one now.

The fruit was smallish, a bit bigger than the average fist, the flesh was exactly like a peach, not fibrous at all, sweet. My neighbors loved it too :-)

I sold the house and the new owner cut it down.

Regards,

Gary

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »
Don't get me wrong, Juicy Peach is definitely a worthy mango, just not as good as Lemon Zest,  Sweet Tart,  Peach Cobbler or even Pineapple Pleasure (which seems to be a shy bearer compare to the others).  I actually have a Juicy Peach if that says anything.

Rob, where would you rank harvest moon and ugly betty?  with LZ, ST, PC?  Next tier down? 

Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
The top tier shelf has been reinforced and widened the past few years.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Gary, I think I recall seeing peach mangoes at the Fairchild mango festival in year's past.  Fairchild Farm probably has a tree.
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
I would definitely put Ugly Betty in the class of Lemon Zest,  Sweet Tart,  Peach Cobbler aka 0-2 (I always liked "Oh Too" as the name so I will stick with O-2 just as LZ is 27-1 and ST is C-1) however there may be some issues with productivity as there is with Pineapple Pleasure,  Harvest Moon and possibly Coconut Cream.

Keep your eyes and ears open in the next year or so as there may be some additional gems being released (I know they are in discussions with decisions waiting in the wings).
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
I would definitely put Ugly Betty in the class of Lemon Zest,  Sweet Tart,  Peach Cobbler aka 0-2 (I always liked "Oh Too" as the name so I will stick with O-2 just as LZ is 27-1 and ST is C-1) however there may be some issues with productivity as there is with Pineapple Pleasure,  Harvest Moon and possibly Coconut Cream.

Keep your eyes and ears open in the next year or so as there may be some additional gems being released (I know they are in discussions with decisions waiting in the wings).

Welcome back Rob! We missed you here.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »

Does that mean issues such as splitting, or more that it is a shy bearer?

Looking forward to hearing more about the new varieties.   Thanks!
~Jeff

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »
Juicy Peach is a seedling from Tommy Atkins.  Fruit is smaller and shaped differently than a TA.  It does not have the fiber of the TA.  It does, or did, have a peachy citrusy flavor.  While I believe it is good to very good, it IMO not as good as Lemon Zest or Peach Cobbler aka O-2.

So exactly how good is the 0-2 Peach cobbler? Are we talking LZ, CC, ST good? can Peach Cobbler beat any of these on a good day? also could you give us a detailed list of flavors you tasted on this variety please.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »

Does that mean issues such as splitting, or more that it is a shy bearer?

Looking forward to hearing more about the new varieties.   Thanks!

Not splitting or anything like that, just a bearing issue.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Is sweet tart a mid-summer mango (late June-July)?
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
Yes, Peach Cobbler is as good as any of them taste wise.  The fruit is not pretty but the taste more than makes up for it.  Flavor profile I would say tangerine/mandarin/honeybell sherbet.   Very sweet, not tangy/sour, creamy and juicy.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
Is sweet tart a mid-summer mango (late June-July)?

Should be July however last year with the whacky weather and late season blooms, there was q second cop into late september and i think a few into early october...i would say that the late crop was an exception based on the weather and bloom time and not the norm.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
Here is the quote from Rob that first made me crave an O-2 tree.

As for the crosses, ironic how the O-2, or Oh Too, tastes alarmingly similar to an intense LZ/OS, on steroids if you will

So exactly how good is the 0-2 Peach cobbler? Are we talking LZ, CC, ST good? can Peach Cobbler beat any of these on a good day? also could you give us a detailed list of flavors you tasted on this variety please.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »
Here is the quote from Rob that first made me crave an O-2 tree.

As for the crosses, ironic how the O-2, or Oh Too, tastes alarmingly similar to an intense LZ/OS, on steroids if you will

Crap...Now I have to figure out some clever deceptive way into tricking my Wife into us buying another Tree.

On a sidde note besides flavor, Do you have an idea on its growth habbit and size, What about the color of the Mango? Thanks for the descriptions MangoMandan
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
Which is the fastest growing tree out of these selections ?

Lemon Zest,  Sweet Tart,  Peach Cobbler, Pineapple Pleasure .

Thanks Ed..
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:29 AM »
Lemon Zest has the most vigorous groth habit out of the newer varieties.   Both LZ and Sweet Tart also seem to have an upright growth habit.  From one of the older original trees, LZ will get down right large.

as to Peach Cobbler, from what I can recall without going back to check, it has a similar growth habit to its parent, a Kent.  The coloration of the fruit is for the most part a lighter dull green color.  It is in no way a pretty mango.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk