Author Topic: Juicy Peach mango cultivar -- any good?  (Read 26841 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Juicy Peach mango cultivar -- any good?
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:13 AM »
possibly a candidate for some of the front-yard situations that require true ugliness to keep 2-legged varmints away...An ugly fruit that tastes great....that is what dooryard growing is all about...couldn't get an ugly mango cultivar in a supermarket no matter the taste.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
Does the juicy peach mango taste similar to  a Glenn or is it unique/good enough to plant both? I just wouldn't want to waste yard space on two mangoes with very similar flavor profile

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
In my opinion, glenn is overrated....washed out some years.  I think Juicy peach is different from glenn in terms of flavor.  I would go with juicy peach...simply because of the Zills name.  Not to say that Glenn is bad, but here in S. FL, there are so many cultivars...Glenn, and other old favorites can get lost in the crowd.  Now, we will see what they mango experts say.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
Juicy Peach is nothing like Glenn interms of flavor.  They both have their district flavor profile with Glenn tending to have a very mild coconut tone in its best years.  As Jeff said, Glenn seems to be a mango that is more effected by water in terms of washing out flavor.  If conditions are just right, Glenn can be outstanding.   Juicy peach is more of a peachy citrusy profile.  If you have the room, grow both....however if you are fucusing on Zill varieties, Peach Cobbler aka 0-2, Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest and Sunrise should not be overlooked.  Ugly Betty and Coconut Cream are also excellent but the jury is still out on their productivity (as with the similar pair of Gary and Pina Colada).   I would also consider Southern Blush and Angie as excellent additions.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
When I talked to Gary Zill about 6 months ago, he said that the Ugly Betty was a decent producer as a grafted tree but that the productivity of the 0-2 as a grafted tree was still unknown, since he had just started grafting it. He said that he was having issues where the seedling tree would produce well but would have production issues when they were grafted.

That said, I planted them all out and will be trialing the production characteristics for myself... :-).

My little scraggly pina colada (about 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide) has about a dozen mangoes on it. Last year it had a handful as well. I know that Walter's pina colada tree was unproductive the last time I saw it, but it was also in some shade, and the fact that it was topworked over an ancient mango probably has an effect.
Jeff  :-)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
My little 3 Gal O-2 planted  10/13 is pushing out a lot of Blooms. At early observation it seems to be a precocious one. Its only 3 ft tall. Of course all mangoes devloped gets lopped off.
My sunrise (5-6 year old tree) is blooming all over and so is my Coco cream.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
is your sunrise a vigorous grower...i read a while back that rob commented on them being vigorous in the pots.  What is your experience?  Thanks
~Jeff

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
It is easy to get excited about new mango varieties, but you might be cautious.   I heard from a credible source that Fairchild Farms was removing a number of the new Zill varieties due to productivity issues.  Zills is located in a much dryer portion of south Florida than Fairchild.  Moisture may have played a large role. 

I've been an early adopter of the new Zill varieties and have in-ground planted Peach Cobbler, Ugly Betty, Coconut Cream, Pina Colada, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Harvest Moon.  I'm also far west and have moisture issues.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
Sunrise has been vigorous for me.

Homestead soil is way different from Palm Beach soil; it's a scant bit of soil on top of oolitic limestone. They have to bring in heavy equipment to dig planting holes, and the ph is quite high.

Dr Campbell also said that the regular nam doc mai didn't work in Homestead (specifically he said that someone who had planted out a field of them ended up yanking them all due to underproduction). However, the regular nam doc mai is super productive and consistent here in broward.

So, drawing any conclusions based upon Dr Campbell's growing experiences is not very useful unless one is going to be planting the trees next door to fairchild farm and using Dr Campbells no fertilzer regimen.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »
Jeff - I disagee with your assessment of Walter's top worked trees on the old Keitts.  The grafts seem to take off and thrive quickly, most likely due to the flow from the mature tree that feeds the graft.  Yes, his property is heavily planted but most of the trees still bear heavily.  Yes, his Harvest Moon , Pineapple Pleasure and Coconut Cream do not consistently set a decentcrop but that seems to be an issue with these vvarieties,  not just at Walter's.   His originally grafted Ugly Betty bloomed like crazy but would not set fruit.  Walter's property is also located in a prime location for growing mangoes, the boynton ridge has excellent soil, well its not soil but a softer well draining soft sand, and an excellent microclimate (like that of Truly Tropical).

As far as you keep saying the trees are shaded, have you been to Harry's?
- Rob

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 05:31:30 AM »
More cryptic " credible sources."
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Hmm, Walter himself said that he was frustrated with his topworked trees not producing. The last time I was there, he was showing me where he had yanked one or two big trees and planting freshly grafted saplings instead (right by the street).

The problem with old topworked trees is precisely that they are too vigorous, and vigorous growth and strong fruit set are normally mutually exclusive when it comes to the mango. To prevent this, I utilize a tipping routine on all of my topworked grafts. This has a tendency to "calm" the tree down quicker and induce fruiting sooner. I gave this suggestion to Walter the last time I was there.

As far as the shading, I don't know what the comparison to Harry's trees has to do with anything. I'm just pointing out that they are shaded -- which as we know causes reduction in fruit set.

According to Gary Zill, when I spoke with him late last year, the Ugly Betty is a decent producer when grafted. According to Marlys, the Harvest Moon is not a strong producer and the Pineapple Pleasure was a modest producer when considering the size of the fruits. Other than that, I don't know. I just think that one should be careful to not draw conclusions based on one planting.

Jeff - I disagee with your assessment of Walter's top worked trees on the old Keitts.  The grafts seem to take off and thrive quickly, most likely due to the flow from the mature tree that feeds the graft.  Yes, his property is heavily planted but most of the trees still bear heavily.  Yes, his Harvest Moon , Pineapple Pleasure and Coconut Cream do not consistently set a decentcrop but that seems to be an issue with these vvarieties,  not just at Walter's.   His originally grafted Ugly Betty bloomed like crazy but would not set fruit.  Walter's property is also located in a prime location for growing mangoes, the boynton ridge has excellent soil, well its not soil but a softer well draining soft sand, and an excellent microclimate (like that of Truly Tropical).

As far as you keep saying the trees are shaded, have you been to Harry's?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
It is easy to get excited about new mango varieties, but you might be cautious.   I heard from a credible source that Fairchild Farms was removing a number of the new Zill varieties due to productivity issues. Zills is located in a much dryer portion of south Florida than Fairchild.  Moisture may have played a large role. 

I've been an early adopter of the new Zill varieties and have in-ground planted Peach Cobbler, Ugly Betty, Coconut Cream, Pina Colada, Pineapple Pleasure, Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Harvest Moon.  I'm also far west and have moisture issues.

could you elaborate?  i had heard the opposite, that zills was prone to flooding/high water table.  I understand that microclimates vary from yard to yard in some cases, but is it true that either place is stark difference in terms of rainfall?  I know fairchild is near the everglades but boynton beach still gets lots of rainfall during rainy/wet season, right?

the difference in soil seems more stark in contrast....are you sure it is "moisture"?
~Jeff

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
Yah, I'm not sure the moisture thing has much to do with anything. Gary Zill's property, where the new cultivars were planted and selected, has a high water table / is prone to flooding if memory serves. It's also well inland.

It is easy to get excited about new mango varieties, but you might be cautious.   I heard from a credible source that Fairchild Farms was removing a number of the new Zill varieties due to productivity issues. Zills is located in a much dryer portion of south Florida than Fairchild.  Moisture may have played a large role. 

could you elaborate?  i had heard the opposite, that zills was prone to flooding/high water table.  I understand that microclimates vary from yard to yard in some cases, but is it true that either place is stark difference in terms of rainfall?  I know fairchild is near the everglades but boynton beach still gets lots of rainfall during rainy/wet season, right?

the difference in soil seems more stark in contrast....are you sure it is "moisture"?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
fairchild isn't trying to promote zills.  they have an interest in growing things that are more rare....that they can claim credit for.  I love fairchild, but it by nature needs to try to be different...especially at mango festival when talking to big players in the fruit trade...therefore, they focus more on fruit hunting it seems, collecting varieties from all over the world.  not saying he is lying about the issues, just that it's not really in his interest to work through them.
~Jeff

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
fairchild isn't trying to promote zills.  they have an interest in growing things that are more rare....that they can claim credit for.  I love fairchild, but it by nature needs to try to be different...especially at mango festival when talking to big players in the fruit trade...therefore, they focus more on fruit hunting it seems, collecting varieties from all over the world.  not saying he is lying about the issues, just that it's not really in his interest to work through them.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here. They have had just about every Florida mango cultivar in their collection and there is nothing rare about many of these. Their interest is in evaluating mangos for performance, not in simply collecting things because of scarcity.

They're removing those trees because of poor performance over an extended period of time, not because of any bias in favor of being "different". Next on the chopping block is a row of 15 non-productive Coconut Cream trees.

Now cookieman's point is valid; just because something doesn't perform well in Homestead, or Williams Grove specifically, doesn't mean it won't do well elsewhere under different conditions. But it can be something of a red flag.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:06:12 PM by Squam256 »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here. They have had just about every Florida mango cultivar in their collection and there is nothing rare about many of these. Their interest is in evaluating mangos for performance, not in simply collecting things because of scarcity.

They're removing those trees because of poor performance over an extended period of time, not because of any bias in favor of being "different". Next on the chopping block is a row of 15 non-productive Coconut Cream trees.

Now cookieman's point is valid; just because something doesn't perform well in Homestead, or Williams Grove specifically, doesn't mean it won't do well elsewhere. But it can be something of a red flag.

That made me cringe...
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 03:03:27 PM »

Now cookieman's point is valid; just because something doesn't perform well in Homestead, or Williams Grove specifically, doesn't mean it won't do well elsewhere under different conditions. But it can be something of a red flag.

I have also seen and been advised of the Coconut Cream's poor and inconsistent performance.  Including mine.  Is it an exceptional mango, yes, however as a backyard grower you have to weigh the issue with production vs space you have. 

Again, I will reiterate as it seems we have conflicting reports, Ugly Betty may be in this same boat.  While the original tree may have initially been productive, I believe it was cut back and was not a factor in performance last year.  From other "original" trees, I have seen and was told that production was not good.  It bloomed heavily but was poor at setting fruit.

IN addition, as Jeff agreed, Harvest Moon seems to also be in this class with production issues.  As for Pineapple Pleasure, from two trees over the last two years, production is below "average"  Yes, the fruit are large but some will definitely be disappointed with the quantity of production.

Sweet Tart, while an exceptional mango and one of my favorites, seems to have a cracking issue on the shoulders when let to color up on the tree (not every fruit but a number of fruit and this was not just in isolated years).  This is an issue since its esceptional flaor only comes out of the mango begins to color on its shoulder, otherwise if picked mature green before any cracking it will not ripen properly. 

Just to throw this in the loop, E-4 looks to possibly have some similar issues which is maybe why its release has been delayed or negated.  As for E-4, in my opinion the quality would be worth it if it is ever released.

Bottom line for all of these is what is most important to the grower...enough fruit to enjoy? enough fruit to enjoy with some to store away (freeze or dehydrate, etc.)? or for commercial purposes?

Oh, and has been mentioned I believe, Orange Sherbert is what I would say very prone to jelly seed; Lemon Zest can also get jelly seed but not as severe as Orange Sherbert.

In all of these varieties, many share some of the issues associated with their parents.
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »
Rob,  would you say that the coconut cream is more productive than an Edward?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Very Interesting Thread !..

Rob if you only had room for 5 Mango Trees, what would those Be ?

Thanks Ed..
Zone 10

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »
Like TropicalGrower89 said, that is cringeworthy info....

So why did we all buy these trees based 95% on taste and texture
(OK well maybe 90%) and not get the scoop on production?????

Must be that eagerness to GRAB THE NEXT BEST THING without
finding the bottom line on all the hype!

Well, my Coco-Cream has a nice set of fruit (( think) for its size,
but we'll just have to see how this all pans out.....Wish they would
start designating how trees perform in certain climates and soil types,
but I guess that is the destiny of the New Millennial Mango growers
to chart.....I notice in all the YouTube fruit videos of Dr. Campbell and that
other fellow, they only rarely say that what their talking about applies
only to South Florida.....Guess us Cali-growers weren't really in anyone's
consciousness back then probably cuz most of us are recent converts....

Gary

...can't see them too clearly, but there's 6-8 nice little lima-bean sized nuggets....

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:18:40 PM by MangoFang »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »
My coconut cream, which was purchased and planted the very day that it was released, hasn't been what I would consider productive. However, the tree is barely 3 or 4 years old -- way too young to make a judgement call. Last year, it set a couple dozen fruit, but a percentage fell. I think I ended up with about 15 fruits, which is actually more than my Carrie produced at that age.

Ultimately, one would want to wait until the tree is mature (ie 6 to 8 years old) before making the final judgement on productivity. I'm not opposed to yanking or topworking a tree; I just want to give a fair chance to show me what it's made of :-).

Nutrition also plays a big factor. I've noticed that now that Har is taking care of my trees, the ones that were underproductive for many years are now going berzerk with mangos. My giant carrie, which normally only produced about 40 mangoes per year, has probably 200+ mangoes on it this year. The other difference I note is that the little manglettes aren't dropping as they usually do, despite those 50mph winds we had last week.

I don't know whether the trees at Fairchild Farm are getting properly fertilized, but every time I've been out there, I"ve noted that a good portion of the trees look really anemic and unhealthy. I don't think all mango trees are amenable to Dr Campbell's growing regime, especially considering the challenge of that nasty oolitic limestone. Here in Broward, I"ve noted that trees in the Julie line (except the pickering :-) tend to be really aversive to high ph growing conditions.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
I shouldn't read threads like these days after I buy a coconut cream mango tree. I figure I've got a year or two before I see even one fruit, so I'll let you all sort it out in the meantime.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
Very Interesting Thread !..

Rob if you only had room for 5 Mango Trees, what would those Be ?

Thanks Ed..

that is a tough question when put on the spot as it easy to second guess yourself.   With thst BS out of the way, I would go with, in no particular order and putting aside production issues:

Lemon Zest
Sweet Tart
Southern Blush
Mahachanok
Mallika
O-2...or should I say Peach Cobbler
Taralay
Honey Kiss

Uh oh, you said five, I guess I cant count.

Honorable mention (any of which could jump into the above 6): Angie, Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbert, Cushman, Amy, Ugly Betty, E-4
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
haha! I don't know if you put those in any particular order, but the top 2 on that list happen to be my top 2 as well (LZ and ST). Mallika would be a top 5'er for me too. I probably would have added Dot and Carrie to round out my 5.

that is a tough question when put on the spot as it easy to second guess yourself.   With thst BS out of the way, I would go with, in no particular order and putting aside production issues:

Lemon Zest
Sweet Tart
Southern Blush
Mahachanok
Mallika
O-2...or should I say Peach Cobbler
Taralay
Honey Kiss

Uh oh, you said five, I guess I cant count.

Honorable mention (any of which could jump into the above 6): Angie, Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbert, Cushman, Amy, Ugly Betty, E-4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk