Author Topic: Juicy Peach mango cultivar -- any good?  (Read 26803 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Juicy Peach mango cultivar -- any good?
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:16 PM »
My coconut cream, which was purchased and planted the very day that it was released, hasn't been what I would consider productive. However, the tree is barely 3 or 4 years old -- way too young to make a judgement call. Last year, it set a couple dozen fruit, but a percentage fell. I think I ended up with about 15 fruits, which is actually more than my Carrie produced at that age.

Ultimately, one would want to wait until the tree is mature (ie 6 to 8 years old) before making the final judgement on productivity. I'm not opposed to yanking or topworking a tree; I just want to give a fair chance to show me what it's made of :-).

Nutrition also plays a big factor. I've noticed that now that Har is taking care of my trees, the ones that were underproductive for many years are now going berzerk with mangos. My giant carrie, which normally only produced about 40 mangoes per year, has probably 200+ mangoes on it this year. The other difference I note is that the little manglettes aren't dropping as they usually do, despite those 50mph winds we had last week.

I don't know whether the trees at Fairchild Farm are getting properly fertilized, but every time I've been out there, I"ve noted that a good portion of the trees look really anemic and unhealthy. I don't think all mango trees are amenable to Dr Campbell's growing regime, especially considering the challenge of that nasty oolitic limestone. Here in Broward, I"ve noted that trees in the Julie line (except the pickering :-) tend to be really aversive to high ph growing conditions.

Jeff has very good points.  Some trees may take a good 6 - 8 years to show their production.   Different locales may cause trees to act differently.   And care or over care...keeping in mind too much "care" could advance growth and production but sacrifice taste, and vice versa, or any combination thereof.

I will disclose that one of the "original" Coconut Creams is old enough that it should be showing what it can do.

and if people care, while I am disclosing information that may or may not be accurate over a longer term and may or may not be what peoplecwant to hear, I myself have the following: coconut cream, peach cobbler, ugly betty, sweet tart and juicy peach...
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
Very Interesting Thread !..

Rob if you only had room for 5 Mango Trees, what would those Be ?

Thanks Ed..

that is a tough question when put on the spot as it easy to second guess yourself.   With thst BS out of the way, I would go with, in no particular order and putting aside production issues:

Lemon Zest
Sweet Tart
Southern Blush
Mahachanok
Mallika
O-2...or should I say Peach Cobbler
Taralay
Honey Kiss

Uh oh, you said five, I guess I cant count.

Honorable mention (any of which could jump into the above 6): Angie, Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbert, Cushman, Amy, Ugly Betty, E-4

Thanks !
Zone 10

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »
does e-4 have a name yet?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »
does e-4 have a name yet?

Not released.  I am not going to say yet because it has yet to be determined if it will be released/named.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
Jeff has very good points.  Some trees may take a good 6 - 8 years to show their production.   Different locales may cause trees to act differently.   And care or over care...keeping in mind too much "care" could advance growth and production but sacrifice taste, and vice versa, or any combination thereof.

It seems like some trees are more productive than others.  My Rosigold gave 3 mangos it's first year.  Pickering gave 10 mangos it's first year.  Coconut Cream gave 1 mango, which cracked long before it was ripe.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »
I think you'll be pleased with your Rosi, Mark, once it is well established.  Mine has bloomed continuously for months, and at least 75% of the blooms set a nice amount of fruit.  I do spray it, more for powdery mildew than for anthracnose.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
I think you'll be pleased with your Rosi, Mark, once it is well established.  Mine has bloomed continuously for months, and at least 75% of the blooms set a nice amount of fruit.  I do spray it, more for powdery mildew than for anthracnose.

I'm already pleased with it.  Squam estimates my Rosi will yield about 20 mangos this year.  I should spray more than I do.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk