Author Topic: Moringa oleifera  (Read 5224 times)

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Moringa oleifera
« on: July 25, 2018, 05:59:50 PM »
Anyone else growing Moringa oleifera in zone 8a. I do not get to harvest the "beans", but I do get a lot of growth each year from a single planting 3 years ago. They grow fast. They grow and bloom, but not enough time for the beans to grow. I use the leaves to eat, make tea, and plan on using some for compost tea for plants.

TFN

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: Moringa oleifera
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:07:29 PM »
I am growing this plant but in 8b/9a. ...mine are in the ground. Here is how to get them to bloom and fruit 1 season. I cut mine to 1.5 feet at end of growing season before first freeze.  Chicken wire cage rolled around the sides. Fill with pine straw/lawn clippings. Cover with plastic to the ground . Spring- uncover and they will sprout higher and faster from the cut I made lat year. Now I get crop of beans before the freeze....As long as the ground around the roots stays above 32 degrees they will flurish each year.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
Hey, LaCasaVerde, since mine come back every year from just covering with straw, I believe that you suggestion will probably work for me as well. Thank you.   I don't know why I didn't think of that before.  That's pretty much what I do with my banana plants so they can produce fruit. Do you like the beans? I have eaten the leaves, but was wondering how the beans taste. Do you eat them pod and all or dry the beans like black eyed peas? I have read that you can do either

TFN.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »
If you don't make it to drumstick stage you can prepare the flowers. I like their food processor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqC1515RKbg

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
It obviously doesnt freeze there...haha. enjoyed the processor...

Honestly I eat the leaves as spinach substitute, my family  has grown up with the seasonal moringa salad  so I dont persuade them as I have to with others that visit. The beans I dont care for as much .

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
Growing moringa down here (11b). Does well. Cut the tree down to the ground, it comes back quick.

The beans are good, actually taste better than the leaves. Just throw the whole thing on the grill, then break open and season after it gets good and grilled. Or break them open and saute/fry the beans.

Have been adding moringa leaves, turmeric, and black pepper to the smoothies and popsicles around here. Kids can't tell. Lol, they eat healthy and have no idea.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
Might just need more years to produce pods. Mine flowered two years and then made pods the third.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
I dry the leaves, then crush them into powder with a Magic Bullet.  Stores well and I sprinkle a tablespoon over my food as my multivitamin

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »
I dry the leaves, then crush them into powder with a Magic Bullet.  Stores well and I sprinkle a tablespoon over my food as my multivitamin

I just pass the dried leaves through a wire strainer.

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »
Anyone eat the seeds? Powder good way?

Have seeds for trade.
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 04:06:25 PM »
Moringa oleifera is also known in India as drumsticks.   Green drumsticks after cleaning the outside skin and cut into  3-4 " pieces are used in a south indian dish  called sambar , a type of curry.  Instead of putting them in a curry, I cook them with fresh grated coconut and shrimp.
As this is not a gourmet forum, interested members can  please  pm me for details.

In Brazil drumsticks have been used in water purification but I have not come across somebody using moringa seeds as a subsitute for beans.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 01:50:59 PM »
Necro bump.

Has anyone grown, or know a reliable source for momax3 Moringa? Supposedly they're far superior to the regular variety and live/produce much longer.

I'm a bit hesitant to go through some of the Indian websites that have them for sale, but I think they would thrive here in Vegas as regular PKM1 Moringa loves our summers and can survive our winters with protection.

https://www.jatrophaworld.org/frequently-asked-question-momax3-moringa-seed.html
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
Here people used to use the trunks, 5 to 10cm diameter.  Peel the bark and rinse.  Use the wood for soup stock, especially chicken.  Its great.

Fresh foliage.is great as a fried green.  Slifhtly spicy amd has a green bean twist to it.  Yummy.

We are tropical here and my trees also flowered for a couple years before forming fruit.  I also hack them down as they grow too big too fast so the fruits dont come usually after cutting.

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
Has anyone grown different varieties of moringa oleifera and compared them?  I saw a dwarf version at  https://www.rareseeds.com and several types at http://jatrophaworld.org/index.html
A seed exchange or source selling little packets of all the different varieties for a few dollars each would be helpful information. I hope the ones I bought are the really good heirloom type.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
I have 6 1 gallon pkm2 seedlings.  Some are flowering now at less then a foot tall.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »
Rodney, Where did you get your seeds?
Thanx, D

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
This vendor advertises PKM1. I haven't bought that product but have ordered from them with good results.
https://www.seedsofindia.com/item/Drumstick-tree-seed-PKM1-Hybrid-127