Author Topic: Ziman pink jackfruit leaves  (Read 2313 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Ziman pink jackfruit leaves
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:42 AM »
Planted my ziman pink jackfruit in the ground in October.   It's defienitely alive and all but for some reason it seems the  shoots that are green and ready to turn into a leaf dries up and shrivels away.  A friend told me to make sure I just water the base and not soak the leaves.  I notice a few more shoots turning into leaves but way lessthan I anticipated.  Any other tips on what I should do?  Tmwr morning I'll take some pics. 

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Ziman pink jackfruit leaves
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »
Is ziman pink a dwarf cultivar?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48:49 PM »
Is ziman pink a dwarf cultivar?

idk if it's a dwarf by definition, but supposedly easier to keep smaller than some of the other varieties.  At least that's why I bought mine.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 06:51:33 AM »
Palolo grower I’m curious about your ziman pink planter back in 2015?  How’s it doing now?  Size?  Fruit? Quality?   Any pics?  I just planted a ziman pink last month.   Curious how it will do.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:52:14 AM »
I've got a Ziman Pink. It's been in the ground about 6 years. I've pruned it a couple of times so it doesn't get too tall. It's got a great flavor.  It's great fresh and like to freeze it too and make smoothies.  It's got a lot of latex though.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:20 AM »
Thanks pahoajo.  Any pics?   Does the flesh have a normal yellow color?  Or is it pink ish?  Trying to figure out the reason behind the name.  Also
Is the flesh more crunchy or soft?   Thanks!
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 05:52:09 AM »
Be good to see its leaves, flowers and fruit. Dwarfs are pretty distinctive and one with pink flesh sound like a winner. I think sometimes several names are getting around for the one types. Oh yeah if the tips keep dying and going brown and it isn't thickening it sounds like a root problem. Too much water, welling, serious soil issue, being bound and root rot can cause that kinda behaviour.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
It’s not a dwarf. These zieman pink fruits tend to crack before ripening leading to rot/ improper
Ripening . The flesh will turn slightly pinkish orange. Flesh is crunchy but can be a bit on the softer side if very ripe
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:07:42 AM by ben mango »

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
I'll see if I can get some pics later.  The flesh is a pinkish color and fairly crunchy.  I haven't had any issues with fruits cracking before ripening so far.  I have heard that complaint from other people, so I wonder if it's a nutritional thing that the tree is lacking.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 03:23:32 PM »
Kona Fruit Farm and PahoaJo, any updates on your Ziman pink? Hows the fruit quality? Have either of you found that it is prone to splitting as Ben Mango has experiences?

Mahalo

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 12:08:54 AM »
I’ve grown Ziemann’s Pink for about 25 years. I find it less susceptible to splitting than most of the cvs we have. It is a high latex fruit. The color looks more ruddy orange to me than pink but I’m willing to embrace pink if people tell me it’s there. It’s generally considered the best jakfruit most people around here have had.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 03:20:35 AM »
I’ve grown Ziemann’s Pink for about 25 years. I find it less susceptible to splitting than most of the cvs we have. It is a high latex fruit. The color looks more ruddy orange to me than pink but I’m willing to embrace pink if people tell me it’s there. It’s generally considered the best jakfruit most people around here have had.

Mahalo Steph. From your experience sounds like it's a good one to grow, minus the high latex. I look forward to trying it soon.