Author Topic: Myrtaceae ID  (Read 3659 times)

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Myrtaceae ID
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
Today I've found this plant in a nursery nearby, but it wasn't labeled, and when I asked to the employees, nobody was able to tell me what it was, not even the owner...
To me it looks like some kind of Eugenia (maybe a type of Uvaia???), but the owner said it was obtained from seeds he colected +- 2 years ago in another nursery in the north of Portugal, and that the fruit was dark, round, about 2cm and attached to the stems/branches, which gives the idea of some kind of Jaboticaba, but in my opinion the leaves are too thick, for being a Plinia/Myrciaria, and also too big... All jaboticaba related plants I've seen have quite thin leaves (except M. vexator), and also much smaller, than this ones, that are between 5cm and 8cm.
The new growth is redish.

Any ideas of what this could be?

Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Myrtaceae ID
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:56:33 PM »
Very similar to uvaia... how long are their leaves?
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 04:00:27 AM »
The leaves are like uvaia and not like jaboticaba... very strange... Maby Adam or Miguel can tell us more.  :)

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
Yeah I would be putting my money on pyriformis. Looks samd as mine. If he hasn't got it labelled he may just have his wires crossed with something else.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
Thank you for your answers!
Apparently all of you share the same opinion than me. I cannot be completelly sure as I don't have Uvaia, or even ever seen one, only the images on the web, but I have some seedlings of a few species of Plinia and Myrciaria, and any of them look like this one...

As mentioned above, the mature leaves are between 5cm and 8cm, and much more thicker than any Jaboticaba I've seen, except M. vexator, but they don't match with this last one either.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »
Apparently all of you share the same opinion than me. I cannot be completelly sure as I don't have Uvaia, or even ever seen one, only the images on the web, but I have some seedlings of a few species of Plinia and Myrciaria, and any of them look like this one...

As mentioned above, the mature leaves are between 5cm and 8cm, and much more thicker than any Jaboticaba I've seen, except M. vexator, but they don't match with this last one either.
The problem here is that you say the fruit is dark and give on trunk... that's not the case of any uvaia.  ;D

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »

The problem here is that you say the fruit is dark and give on trunk... that's not the case of any uvaia.  ;D

Actually it seems that there is one "Purple Uvaia" (Uvaia roxa,Eugenia neomyrtifolia), which fruits are quite dark and grow close to the stems, but the leaves are suposedely smaller than this ones, but I can't find that much info on that one so...
And there's always the possibility, that the guy in the nursery mixed up things, and this is nothing, of what we're tinking...

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:55:46 PM by Luisport »

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
Very ineteresting find, Nelio!

It also reminds me the most of an Uvaia, and if you say it comes from the north of Portugal, Jaboticaba is also less likely to survive there than Uvaia, I guess.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
Very ineteresting find, Nelio!

It also reminds me the most of an Uvaia, and if you say it comes from the north of Portugal, Jaboticaba is also less likely to survive there than Uvaia, I guess.
No my friend Solko, there are several jaboticaba trees producing on north Portugal on open air, one of them in Braga!  ;D

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
Haha, I know, you told me about that one, Luis.

But although I don't know any Uvaia trees in the north, it seems to me that Uvaia is a bit more cold resistant than Jaboticaba, but since I only have my own experience, I may be mistaken...

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
Haha, I know, you told me about that one, Luis.

But although I don't know any Uvaia trees in the north, it seems to me that Uvaia is a bit more cold resistant than Jaboticaba, but since I only have my own experience, I may be mistaken...
Hello again my friend! Yes, uvaia trees are more cold hardy than jaboticabas, but they stand our winter well too... of course that adult ones have much better resistence.  :)

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »
WOW! That is totally new to me... http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/eugenianeomyrtifolia.htm

For me too!
Another one in my (long) whishlist.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:56 AM »
WOW! That is totally new to me... http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/eugenianeomyrtifolia.htm

For me too!
Another one in my (long) whishlist.

+1, Helton is amazing...

" UVAIA ROXA vem do Tupi, e significa  “Fruta acidulada” e de fato, o sabor da fruta é doce e levemente acido, senso muito agradável. Também recebe o nome de Cambuí da casca lisa, Cambuí folha de uvaia e Uvaia-folha-de-murta. "

"the taste is sweet and a bit acid, very pleasant"
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk