Author Topic: Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?  (Read 15863 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Which Mango is Better--Carrie or Angie?
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »
I only ate a Carrie once, and then went and bought a little tree. I used it for a scion and grafted it to a stringy, spicy and delicious unknown, it was opined as possibly being an East Indian. Well the 5" scion outpaced the donor tree and has overtaken the EI type and has a nice crop which I eagerly wait for. Based on opinions here, I'll harvest when the top "shoulders" turn yellow. THANKS!

The only unfortunate thing is the EI and Carrie both fruit at the same time :-( Maybe I'll find some late season scions from a Beverly and graft them onto it.

Regards,

Gary

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »
The sun-color on the shoulders can occur before full maturety in very sun-exposed positions.  If skin is still rough, wait until it smoothes out.  It IS tricky.
Har

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
Is it normal for Angie mangoes to fall off the tree when they turn a little yellow but are still green, and then subsequently ripen fully off the tree?  None of my Angies attain anything close to full color ON THE TREE.  How about other Angie growers?  Does your fruit color up well on the tree, or fall off when still mostly green?
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:06 AM »
Is it normal for Angie mangoes to fall off the tree when they turn a little yellow but are still green, and then subsequently ripen fully off the tree?  None of my Angies attain anything close to full color ON THE TREE.  How about other Angie growers?  Does your fruit color up well on the tree, or fall off when still mostly green?

Before I ditched the tree for having Carrie like fruit, they held till decent amount of to full color.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
I kind of want to ditch the tree, too, because I've had issues with fruit ripening properly (getting worse, not better) although the tree is healthy and robust.  And I'm not IN LOVE with the flavor, there being other mangoes I AM in love with, like PPK.
John

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 06:27:51 PM »

I just picked this Angie.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
Beautiful!
Har

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Angie gets beautiful, Edward-like blush with full sun exposure but when there's a lot of overcast/Rainy  weather or the tree is shaded they don't get much blush at all.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »

I just picked this Angie.

Ate the mango in this picture today (picked 3 days ago). Ughh learned an important lesson today about the ripeness I enjoy my Angie mangoes. It had some give today - not overly soft or mushy, but that Carrie throw-up-in-your-mouth distinctive flavor was definitely there and I was not happy about that. Ate a couple pieces and that was all I could handle (I knew I wasn't going to like it just cutting into the mango as the distinctive Carrie smell was there).

This is definitely a mango I enjoy ripe, but more on the firmer side. If I had eaten this a couple days ago it would have that tartness/chalkiness that I really like and none of the Carrie nightmare.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
I just ate my first Carrie mango from my tree, picked based on the yellowing shoulder coloration and skin giving to the touch a bit. I liked them a lot and I did not detect a bit of resin flavor at all. As was stated in another thread..."the flavor is an outstanding mix of creamy sweet and tart"

I agree 100% and for me have an attraction to it well beyond overwhelming non mango flavors like the Lemon Meringue. My tree only bore a dozen or so it's first year after grafting, but now I look forward to next year.

Regards,

Gary

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
I have about 10 fruit from my 3 yr old Angie. Fruit is about 1.25 lbs. Its a nice clean fiberless mango. I found it a little lacking on the sweetness side.  But still a good but not great mango. It's the first year it produced so maybe they will improve as the tree matures.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
I just brought back an Angie from this years Fairchild Festival. It was $35 tax included. I am debating wether to plant it on ground or grow it in a container. It is described as semi-dwarf, early season, which is why I got it, to extend my mango fruit season.
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

Guanabanus

• View Profile
Food plants are not supposed to be taxed.
Har

igrowmangos

• View Profile
Hmmm. Never even realized that. Good to know. Thanks.

bsbullie

• View Profile
Hmmm. Never even realized that. Good to know. Thanks.

Thats why you wind up paying round figures for trees.  If you had paid $35 "tax included", the price of the tree would have been $33.02 and obviously nobody would have that as their price.

On a side note, where did you get your Orange Sherbert tree?
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
I have about 10 fruit from my 3 yr old Angie. Fruit is about 1.25 lbs. Its a nice clean fiberless mango. I found it a little lacking on the sweetness side.  But still a good but not great mango. It's the first year it produced so maybe they will improve as the tree matures.

Yes, "a little lacking on the sweetness side." I've always found that to be true, and my tree has been producing for several years.  And no, it isn't a semi-dwarf and likes to spread, but I wouldn't call it vigorous.
John

igrowmangos

• View Profile
So I read that Angie was an early season type. When did you pick the fruit?

-My OS was a gift from someone who got it from TT. I planted it recently and it will not fruit until 2-3 years from now, yes I have read all the threads on TT and OS and LZ.

bsbullie

• View Profile

-My OS was a gift from someone who got it from TT. I planted it recently and it will not fruit until 2-3 years from now, yes I have read all the threads on TT and OS and LZ.

Unfortunately you will need to change that tag to Lemon Zest.
- Rob

igrowmangos

• View Profile
Either way I will be happy. The LZ is still a highly rated mango according to most even a top 3. I have a wide palate from a regular old fashioned Valencia Pride to the Pina Colada, Maha Chanok etc.. What about the Kathy? I have not seen or tasted that fruit yet.

I will have to check my photos to see if it was displayed at the Fairchild Mango Fest this past weekend. I took plenty of photos covering almost all the displayed varieties.

I'm now thinking Angie might not be as good as what I had in mind.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile

All of them ripened over the last 2 weeks. No more on the tree but a couple on the on deck circle to be eaten.

igrowmangos

• View Profile
I will say it is a very nice looking mango. Hope the sweetness level varies and may be sweeter next year.

Fig-Doctor

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Carrie is my Top tier mango in my garden. I put it same level of Dot, Lemon zest, sweet tart, Coco cream. I like it even more then Maha, Fairchild, peach cobbler, all the rest. It has very strong flavor and very very sweet. If anyone like Glenn then you will not like it though. Angie is a good mango also dwarf tree. but not strong enough for me. In my opinion, Carrie is for someone want very strong taste, sweetness. Angie is for someone looking for dwarf tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
Carrie and Angie are in my bottom 5, and you can add Ugly Betty to that pile.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:26:17 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

Love the Ugly Betty, Angie and Carrie. I will take them any day compared to some other varieties such as Glenn, Rosigold, Cogshall and NDM #4. Better than Mahachanok as well, at least for my taste buds.

bsbullie

• View Profile

Love the Ugly Betty, Angie and Carrie. I will take them any day compared to some other varieties such as Glenn, Rosigold, Cogshall and NDM #4. Better than Mahachanok as well, at least for my taste buds.

I agree, the others you mentioned are in the bottom pile.  Lol

My how tastes vary from person to person...
- Rob