Author Topic: Atemoya Most Like Cherimoya  (Read 12472 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Atemoya Most Like Cherimoya
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
I tasted my first Cherimoya a few weeks ago while at Harry's house. I really enjoyed it a lot and have since placed two orders at Cherimoya.com. I know that the Atemoya itself is a hybrid of Cherimoya and Sugar Apple that grows well in hot humid climates. Which variety of Atemoya is the most like its parent the Cherimoya? I planted a Lisa Atemoya tree last summer, any suggestions on other types would be greatly appreciated.

Tony     

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya Most Like Cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »
I tasted my first Cherimoya a few weeks ago while at Harry's house. I really enjoyed it a lot and have since placed two orders at Cherimoya.com. I know that the Atemoya itself is a hybrid of Cherimoya and Sugar Apple that grows well in hot humid climates. Which variety of Atemoya is the most like its parent the Cherimoya? I planted a Lisa Atemoya tree last summer, any suggestions on other types would be greatly appreciated.

Tony   

Harry is actually growing a cherimoya tree that gives fruit in south florida's hot/humid climate?

A lot of people are happy with Geffner Atemoya. Many mentioned that it's better than Lisa and it can actually self pollinate.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:11:50 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
No, he got the Cherimoya from someone out west. I have been thinking about getting the Geffner seems like thats the most popular variety. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Nuathong!

and Gefner!

BOTH have nice firm cherimoya type flesh, not mushy like sugar apple, and a much nicer flavor!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:20:28 PM »
No, he got the Cherimoya from someone out west. I have been thinking about getting the Geffner seems like thats the most popular variety.

oh okay.

I'm also planning on buying a geffner atemoya in the future. Here's a website that shows the different varieties.

http://www.sarasotafruitandnutsociety.org/information/TropicalFruit/atemoyavarieties.htm
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
Nuathong!

and Gefner!

BOTH have nice firm cherimoya type flesh, not mushy like sugar apple, and a much nicer flavor!

hmmmmmm Never heard of Nuathong. I'll look it up.  :)
Alexi

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
I would recommend African Pride as well....I can't really tell the difference between those two..

JF

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:30 PM »
African Pride is a very poor producer in SFLA if not the worst.  Gefner is delicious and fruits easily in our climate.     
FloridaGreenMan

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »
'It was introduced into Queensland by Langbecker Nurseries and 3,000 trees were released for commercial planting in July 1961. It was quickly adopted as a replacement for 'Mammoth' as it was free of the discoloration and bitterness next to the skin.'

I dont know about that. The 'Mammoth' I've had are all far superior to the African Pride. I'd say the AP overtook the Mammoth because it self-sets better and sets many more fruit per tree. Mammoth is a huge fruit and therefore much lower yield and harder to sell. Trees are also huge. In any case, these are both being replaced by newer varities like KJ Pinks (Paxton's Prolific) and Tropic Sun (for home growers). KJ Pinks is a budsport of Hilary Whites which is a budsport of Mammoth, which many growers have replaced their AP orchards with. http://www.anfic.com.au/kjpinks.htm

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
The richness of the better true cherimoyas, and the great differences among true cherimoya varieties, are hard to approach within any other single Annona species, or within the "atemoya" category of Annona hybrids.  You need a collection of several other species to approach the gourmet pleasure you could get from growing a collection of cherimoya varieties where they grow well--- not here!

Though I bred the '48--26', a.k.a. 'Lisa,' I agree that 'Geffner' is far more likely to perform satisfactorily.

Be aware that some lists, including the Sarasota list, contain varieties of Annona hybrids which are not properly referred to as "atemoyas."
"Atemoyas" are Annona hybrids containing both Annona squamosa (Sugar-Apple, or Sweetsop, or Ate, or Anón) and Annona cherimola (Cherimoya, "true cherimoya"), and NO OTHER species.  Annona hybrids containing other Annona species should not be called "atemoya."

Annona hybrids that are part Annona reticulata ("Reticulata" or "Custard-Apple" in Florida, Bullock's-Heart, Corazón), or part Annona diversifolia (ilama, or papauce), should simply be called "Annona hybrids", but may also be referred to with their own specific hybrid names:
"Cherilata" for part cherimoya and part reticulata;
"Temoylata" for the 3-species mix of sugar-apple, cherimoya, and reticulata;  etc.

When one joins a group from many places talking about Annonas, the conversation  can easily bring recollections of Babylon--- novices will even call soursops "atemoyas"; Brazilian's have several names for Sugar-apple, depending on the town; Cuban's often call Reticulata "cherimoya", and several other Annona species get called "cherimoya" elsewhere;  Australians tend to call all Annonas "Custard-Apples;" and so on; and erudite botanists keep splitting the genera in this family, and then lumping them together again.

Har

PS:  Where the "true cherimoya" is from, the valleys between the ranges of the Andes, the Quechua language is spoken.  Because many cherimoya varieties have "mamilate" skins, and because the fruits are not from the animal kingdom and therefore are not warm, they are called "chiri moya" = cold breasts.
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
The richness of the better true cherimoyas, and the great differences among true cherimoya varieties, are hard to approach within any other single Annona species, or within the "atemoya" category of Annona hybrids.  You need a collection of several other species to approach the gourmet pleasure you could get from growing a collection of cherimoya varieties where they grow well--- not here!

Though I bred the '48--26', a.k.a. 'Lisa,' I agree that 'Geffner' is far more likely to perform satisfactorily.

Be aware that some lists, including the Sarasota list, contain varieties of Annona hybrids which are not properly referred to as "atemoyas."
"Atemoyas" are Annona hybrids containing both Annona squamosa (Sugar-Apple, or Sweetsop, or Ate, or Anón) and Annona cherimola (Cherimoya, "true cherimoya"), and NO OTHER species.  Annona hybrids containing other Annona species should not be called "atemoya."

Annona hybrids that are part Annona reticulata ("Reticulata" or "Custard-Apple" in Florida, Bullock's-Heart, Corazón), or part Annona diversifolia (ilama, or papauce), should simply be called "Annona hybrids", but may also be referred to with their own specific hybrid names:
"Temoylata" for the 3-species mix of sugar-apple, cherimoya, and reticulata;  etc.

When one joins a group from many places talking about Annonas, the conversation  can easily bring recollections of Babylon--- novices will even call soursops "atemoyas"; Brazilian's have several names for Sugar-apple, depending on the town; Cuban's often call Reticulata "cherimoya", and several other Annona species get called "cherimoya" elsewhere;  Australians tend to call all Annonas "Custard-Apples;" and so on; and erudite botanists keep splitting the genera in this family, and then lumping them together again.

Har

PS:  Where the "true cherimoya" is from, the valleys between the ranges of the Andes, the Quechua language is spoken.  Because many cherimoya varieties have "mamilate" skins, and because the fruits are not from the animal kingdom and therefore are not warm, they are called "chiri moya" = cold breasts.

U need to write a book Guanabanus!

U my new fav member!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »
Geftner and African Pride seem to do well in this part of Socal. Lisa does very well here also. My friend Minh has a 48-26 tree that was loaded in Santa Ana and I tried the fruit for the first time.

JF
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:57:21 PM by JF »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
No doubt. I think Har was an English major :-). Well written.

Har

U need to write a book Guanabanus!

U my new fav member!
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
Don't know about which atemoya is most like cherimoya, but the best atemoya i've had so far has been Pink's Mammoth, so called not because it's pink, but because of Mr. Pink. Very good taste and texture and very large fruits. Here the most popular atemoya, African Pride, is very sweet but the texture is too rubbery for my liking. Geffner is good but not as good in my opinion as the Pink's Mammoth. I haven't yet had the new atemoya cultivars Brian Paxton came out with. BTW, Brian  lived here on this island for many years.
Oscar
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:38 AM »
Har, the Sarasota list mentions the 'Malamud Atemoya'. Do you have any infos about this annona? The picture looks like Fernandez reticulata..

BTW, if you write a book about annonas, I'll be the first one buying it  ;)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
Felipe, I was wondering the same thing about 'Malamud'.   I dont have any info about it, but the picture looks like a 1/2 Reticulata Annona Hybrid.
Har

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »
I have a 5-6 foot tall sugar apple tree planted thats fruit is just ok....would it be diffulcult to graft an Atemoya onto it? Whats the best time of year to do the graft and what method is suggested? 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Har, the Sarasota list mentions the 'Malamud Atemoya'. Do you have any infos about this annona? The picture looks like Fernandez reticulata..

BTW, if you write a book about annonas, I'll be the first one buying it  ;)

No me first! there's a waiting list for Gauanabanus's book! ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
When are the Australian varieties, KJ Pinks and Tropic Sun, coming to Florida?  How can this be facilitated?  We gotta try 'em!!!
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 01:52:31 AM »
When are the Australian varieties, KJ Pinks and Tropic Sun, coming to Florida?  How can this be facilitated?  We gotta try 'em!!!

I'll ask Paxton about sending me some next time i talk with him.
Oscar
Oscar

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »

Oscar

Oscar, you mean actual budwood or seeds?  They might not come 100% true from seed correct?
Adiel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »

Oscar

Oscar, you mean actual budwood or seeds?  They might not come 100% true from seed correct?

I mean whatever i can get, preferably budwood.
Oscar
Oscar