Author Topic: Anyone in FL interested in getting a group order together from Frankies?  (Read 8949 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
I just contacted Frankies and found out that they now have grafted Z-2 Abiu available. I have been searching for one for a while so I am going to pick one up. If anyone else in FL is interested on getting in on an order let me know. If we can get a decent sized order together the shipping, bare root and box fees are not too bad.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone in FL interested in getting a group order together from Frankies?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »
I might...how fast do you need to know and how would you want to arrange delivery as I am well south of you/
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
I am probably going to order in the next few weeks. If a few people down south are ordering it could just be shipped to someone down there and then have mine shipped up to me.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
What other plants from Frankie's would you especially recommend?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
They are pretty much the only place there is that sells grafted Maprang. I have two of those from them that are doing pretty well. They have quite a few different Hawaiian avocadoes that aren't really available from many other places either.

Goldemboy

• Orlando, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
interested in the Z-2 Abiu aswell, let me know

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »
They are pretty much the only place there is that sells grafted Maprang. I have two of those from them that are doing pretty well. They have quite a few different Hawaiian avocadoes that aren't really available from many other places either.

Jsvand5,

how long does it take for a shipment from Frankie to reach you in Florida? did you get good revovery from bare rooted plants? It seems like he is propagating some really interesting things and i am starting considering him as a possible source for some special things i might not be able to get elsewhere. do you know if Frankie would ship overseas?

my concern then would be the duration for shipment...
Samuel
Reunion Island

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »
My last order took 2 days to arrive in South Florida.  I revived a barerooted Maprang without a single leaf drop! And had 50% successful takes with Mangifera scions doing winter grafts!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:30:18 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
I might be interested too.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
The abiu and maprang both sound interesting to me.

Is abiu as sensitive to cool temperatures as, say, soursop?   I get several nights in the thirties some years.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
Just pm me if anyone wants to get in. So far it is looking like shipping will probably be to the member treesnmore in Palm City but if a few people further south want something maybe it could be shipped down there. Hoping to put the order in next week. Make sure to contact Frankie's to check availability if what you want. Sometimes the list on their site is not up to date.

D.muscipula

• Miami, FL, USA Z10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
I've really wanted to get an Abiu but was waiting to have a better place to plant it. Is the Z-2 variety so much better than the Caribou that PIN has that it's worth ordering from the other side of the world? I've got PIN just about in the backyard here...

Anything else noteworthy from Frankie's that's not available in S. Florida?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
Noel's Marissa is better than any of the Z's that I've had. I would contact Noel to buy a seedling from his Melissa or buy some budwood and graft a tree instead of buying any Abiu's from Frankies.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »
Murahillin
If you have limited space I agree with you ,but I have 5 acres and abiu is a favorite.I have two of Noels Marissa ,three caribou from pin now two Z2 from frankies waiting on Z4 and gray
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
Wanting numbers is great but why do people overlook quality or quantity (I would rather have 10 of the best than 5  different types with some being noticeably inferior).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »

Jsvand5,

how long does it take for a shipment from Frankie to reach you in Florida? did you get good revovery from bare rooted plants? It seems like he is propagating some really interesting things and i am starting considering him as a possible source for some special things i might not be able to get elsewhere. do you know if Frankie would ship overseas?

I don't think he bare roots his plants as he uses sterile medium. He does ship to other countries, but not all countries. BTW French colonies and ex colonies tend to be the most difficult in terms of red tape. But you can ask him about it.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
Noel's Marissa is better than any of the Z's that I've had. I would contact Noel to buy a seedling from his Melissa or buy some budwood and graft a tree instead of buying any Abiu's from Frankies.

I would definitely go that route if I could manage to get an abiu graft to take. I have tried about a dozen now with no luck. I think I actually liked the fruit from Noel's other tree even better than the Marissa. Just wish they came true from seed.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 12:09:08 AM »
I would definitely go that route if I could manage to get an abiu graft to take. I have tried about a dozen now with no luck. I think I actually liked the fruit from Noel's other tree even better than the Marissa. Just wish they came true from seed.

I've seen lots of success with grafts using budwood that is pencil sized or thicker and brown. Maybe once the weather warms we can beg Noel for some budwood to try and get some budwood to graft.

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 06:47:21 AM »
bs
What would you call inferior caribou. I have never tasted that one.As for planting differnt varities they all have a differnt flavor not inferior.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:10:19 AM by TREESNMORE »
Mike

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
I ordered from frankies last year.  Everything was bare rooted.  Dave

Jsvand5,

I don't think he bare roots his plants as he uses sterile medium. He does ship to other countries, but not all countries. BTW French colonies and ex colonies tend to be the most difficult in terms of red tape. But you can ask him about it.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
Wanting numbers is great but why do people overlook quality or quantity (I would rather have 10 of the best than 5  different types with some being noticeably inferior).

(1) Extended season potential.  If you had one type of mango, you would limit yourself to 2-3 months (at best) and with different types, you can easily push it to 6 months or longer.

(2) Tired of eating the same variety all season.  Even the best types get old after a while and it is nice to have something different.  It also confirms that what you think is the best really is!

(3) I like to share fruit and everyone may not enjoy the same thing.  Some like mangoes spicy, others sweet, etc., and I like to show people that the one in the grocery store isn't the only game in town.

(4) Some varieties don't bear every year.  It's always nice to have some fruit in an off-year.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »

I've seen lots of success with grafts using budwood that is pencil sized or thicker and brown. Maybe once the weather warms we can beg Noel for some budwood to try and get some budwood to graft.

Maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I have been using wood that was either still green or partially green.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »

Whether or not Z2 is the best variety is debatable (it is one of the better rated ones as far as I know), but what is not debatable is that Frankies is the only nursery that I know of anywhere that has grafted abiu in stock.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »
Just picked these bad boys, or maybe they look more like bad girls?  ;)

They are seedlings from a Z2. Managed to get them before too many fruit flies discovered them. Too early in the season and the flies weren't on top of it.  ;) They tasted very nice.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
To all who commented, I guess to each his own.  No, I don't plant mangoes just have an extended season, I plant quality varieties I like (other than a select few, by early August or so I have basically reached mango burnout and other than Neelam, I would pass on most of the available late varieties).  If I have extra and want or am able to share, then thats great but to me I have no reason to fill up space just to say I have this variety or that variety (no offense Harry).  If I was growing for sales, that would be totally different.

I have tasted  a handful of abiu and while I do love them, they are not all "wow" where I would want to plant that variety just to say I did.  I would actually want to plant the varieties I know are good and can and will produce (I have seen abiu that are decent tasting but only produce a handful of fruit each season).  To relate this to mangoes, I have approximately 100 varieties of mangoes at my disposal but after tasting most of them, I can honestly say I would only want a fraction of them in my yard even if space was no issue...I would rather have multiple great varieties then singles of average or a different type of fruit...there are too many types of fruit and never enough space.

As Sheehan said, if you want a grafted abiu, then Noel's trees are the way to go IMO.  The trees are proven producers in Florida and quality is excellent.  If you are looking to be able to say you have x, y and z varieties, then by all means search them out and plant them.  There is no right or wrong, I was just stating an opinion as some people seem obsessed with certain varieties based on what they have heard or read...approximately 4 years of waiting to find either joy or disappointment.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »

As Sheehan said, if you want a grafted abiu, then Noel's trees are the way to go IMO.  The trees are proven producers in Florida and quality is excellent.  If you are looking to be able to say you have x, y and z varieties, then by all means search them out and plant them.  There is no right or wrong, I was just stating an opinion as some people seem obsessed with certain varieties based on what they have heard or read...approximately 4 years of waiting to find either joy or disappointment.

I would definitely love to get a grafted one from Noel if they were available. Noel's trees are seedlings of Z2 so hopefully the Z2 will be productive. Does anyone now if the z2 at whitman's place produced well? So far only seedlings are available from Noel's trees. I have seedlings from Noel's trees but they are just as unproven as any other abiu. Hopefully they turn out as good as the parent trees. Its not like the Z2 is not a great tasting variety. It's too bad there are not more types of grafted abiu available in the states. Even the ones that pine island sells with a variety name attatched are just seedlings so the z2's that Frankie's had are the most proven trees available.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:12:28 PM by Jsvand5 »

D.muscipula

• Miami, FL, USA Z10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I've only had Abiu once but it was enough to convince me I want a tree. I guess rather than continue to go off topic in this thread i'll start another thread on abiu varieties.

It sounds like there's nothing I should be concerned with ordering from Frankie's yet.

cheers

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
Frankies is sold out of Abiu and they did not have any Maprang.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk