Author Topic: "Har's List of Supremely Delicious Mango Varieties"  (Read 13684 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
"Har's List of Supremely Delicious Mango Varieties"
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
The legendary Har Mahdeem has tasted an awful lot of mangos in his life (and remained a wonderful, humble guy)!  Always willing to offer you great advice when you meet him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGCCkUhM0I

To recap, Fruit Punch, Jakarta, Kathy, Lemon Zest, M-4, Orange Essence, Pram Kai Meu, and Carrie.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:06:15 AM by johnb51 »
John

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: "Har's List of Supremely Delicious Mango Varieties"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:00 AM »
Har such a great person!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
Har such a great person!

Totally agree. And so knowledgeable.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »
The legendary Har Mahdeem has tasted an awful lot of mangos in his life (and remained a wonderful, humble guy)!  Always willing to offer you great advice when you meet him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGCCkUhM0I

To recap, Fruit Punch, Jakarta, Kathy, Lemon Zest, M-4, Orange Essence, Pram Kai Meu, and Carrie.

Happy that I have 5 of the mangoes on the list. Fruit Punch, Kathy an Orange Essence are grafts on to other trees, but I have Carrie and Lemon Zest on the ground. A good size M-4 is next on my list. 

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »
Brahm kai meu is originally from my province but i have never seen the mango....I have 2 of those tree's though and they are disease resistant it seems but they didn't bloom yet.

It is a green eating mango i heard, but is it really nice eaten green? As nice as mun kun si or keo savoei?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »
Har should narrate audio books.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
With Lemon Zest having problems that have been discussed here..... I wonder what Har says to do to keep them healthy and producing. On his list I have Lemon Zest and Carrie. They have some huge mangoes hanging in this video.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Har is a great resource. Lucky to have him on the forum.

Jakarta is a great mango, as well as the related bombay and sunrise (surprised Har did not recommend sunrise).

As for lemon zest, I've had good success with them. This year, all 3 are loaded and haven't spotted MBBS on them yet this year (except for a few when they were bb-sized, which eventually just dropped off). The key has been fortnightly fungicide spraying. However, those who live in less humid areas or with sufficient air flow may not have any issues -- it really seems to vary by location. My LZ have also been regular producers over the past 3 years or so.
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 01:43:48 PM »
With Lemon Zest having problems that have been discussed here..... I wonder what Har says to do to keep them healthy and producing. On his list I have Lemon Zest and Carrie. They have some huge mangoes hanging in this video.
I think he does mention that Truly Tropical's coastal location is best for LZ.  Also, he says the if he spots any MBBS on immature fruit, he immediately removes that fruit.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »
I wonder what the main differences are between LZ and Orange Sherbet.  I remember Har tasting it and liking it last summer.
John

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 02:14:57 PM »
So looking forward to the day i'm ready to head there & bring home a few of them trees!  Still prepping.
I must've watched 10hrs of TT videos :)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 03:35:45 PM »
Har is a great resource. Lucky to have him on the forum.

Jakarta is a great mango, as well as the related bombay and sunrise (surprised Har did not recommend sunrise).

As for lemon zest, I've had good success with them. This year, all 3 are loaded and haven't spotted MBBS on them yet this year (except for a few when they were bb-sized, which eventually just dropped off). The key has been fortnightly fungicide spraying. However, those who live in less humid areas or with sufficient air flow may not have any issues -- it really seems to vary by location. My LZ have also been regular producers over the past 3 years or so.

I thought about Sunrise as well when I watched the video. My tree has a good crop this year. One of my favorites.  My LZ is small, three years in the ground, but it has about 10 mangoes on it now.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 03:38:58 PM »
OS tends to be smaller, and differently shaped. In my yard, it tends to be less productive. Flavor is slightly different, closer to LM in my mind. (I like LZ best of the three.) OS also seems more susceptible to internal breakdown.

I wonder what the main differences are between LZ and Orange Sherbet.  I remember Har tasting it and liking it last summer.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
Fruit Punch (YESSS - Har is the man!)

Lemon Zest (YESSS - Har is the man!)

M-4 (YESSS - Har is the man!)

Orange Essence (YESSS - Har is the man!)

Carrie (You are dead to me.)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 07:03:46 PM »
:D It's all about eating it at just the right time. The carrie can either be smooth and ultra delicious or the taste and texture of vomit, depending on cultural conditions and stage of ripeness. There's not much of an in between.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 06:10:18 AM »
The main problem with Carrie is there is not much of an in between.
 Underripe it has TOO much resin (and I like resinous mangoes).
 Texture is a problem, it just turns to mush when overripe.
 No real visual clues I can pick up and hard to tell just by firmness when it is perfect.
At least from my Dad's tree it seems like the window of perfection for picking is only hours long, and I am usually disappointed when I eat one.
What cultural conditions are best to maximize chances of getting good ones?
It can be supremely delicious BUT I much prefer mango varieties that are consistently and predictably good.
My Dad is stubborn and won't let me topwork his Carrie tree.  He does have an irrigation system and good topsoil, I wonder if that is affecting the way the fruit ripens. I don't give the tree any nitrogen.
 One plus is that it often sets some fruit from early bloom , one year we were eating fruit April 20th and usually have some drops that are edible by early May. Sometimes it will hold a few fruit from later bloom until early August too, every year I check the whole tree in mid-late July to see if any are hiding.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 07:48:06 AM »
Yep, great resource and a humble man.  After losing 2 of 3 large branches of Orange Sherbet attached at the same point on the trunk of a cocktail tree Har pointed out that it's too much weight bearing for such a single point.  Alternate branching is the only way to go on mango.

To be honest I haven't really tasted a bad mango coming out of Florida whether I grew it or ordered a box from Alex year after year.  I also LOVE Glenn which bought from PIN. I have a graft/branch of Fruit Punch on it.

I know these are Har's faves but there's lots good ones like Sweet Tart and Pineapple Pleasure too. 

My first Glenn.  The super sweet almost nauseating tropical aroma that comes from this fruit is unreal.  Had to move it away from my computer it's so strong.  Great texture and taste.

Mark

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »

I think you would roll over if you saw me yesterday..... I was picking up the dropped green to yellowish (close to rotting) Carrie Mangos off the ground and eating them.... I enjoyed the resinous mixture under the hard green skin of these small dropped mangos... lol...It's one of my favorite early season drops to pick up and eat green (almost rotten greenish-yellow skin).... Yep, we all have different tastes.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:24:33 AM by palmcity »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »

I think you would roll over if you saw me yesterday..... I was picking up the dropped green to yellowish (close to rotting) Carrie Mangos off the ground and eating them.... I enjoyed the resinous mixture under the hard green skin of these small dropped mangos... lol...It's one of my favorite early season drops to pick up and eat green (almost rotten greenish-yellow skin).... Yep, we all have different tastes.

The best carambola are those that drop to the ground and late in the season. They have the most sweetness and the least astringency. Cut off the green edges that are the most astringent part of the fruit. Over-ripe is the best for this fruit. Though if juicing, pick it at firm.

Mango drops. If gotten too by a critter I will toss in the bushes. If I really want to eat it, is an above average mango, I subject it to high pressure out of the garden hose nozzle attachment. Focused on where the wound is. With Covid X here I often wash my hands via high pressure water out of the garden hose. Knocks all the baddies off. With a bit of liquid dish washing soap first rubbed around.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »

On their best days , LZ is sweeter. But I like orange sherbet as a tree much better.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 11:36:16 AM »
I want to see a Har top 10 annona video next!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 04:57:07 PM »
I want to see a Har top 10 annona video next!

He posted it on these boards some time ago.
Interestingly, Pawpaw ranks above Cherimoya.
I have tasted a lot of annonas, including over 400 hybrids that I bred.

Which are the tastier ones?  The order of mention could vary a lot, depending on the genetics and culture of the tree and on the genetics and culture of the taster.

"De gustibus non disputandum est!"

1) Some varieties of Northern-Pawpaw and some varieties of Cherimoya vie for Number One on my list.  Other varieties of those same species I do not like at all!
2) Crassiflora
3) Cawesh
4) Amazon Custard Fruit / Biriba
5) Custard-Apple
6) Ilama
7) Guanabana

Sugar-Apples and Atemoyas and Muvulus are also good. 

Interesting but problematic are Mountain-Soursops and Soncoyas and Cornifolia and many small-and-seedy Rollinia species.

Check to see if anyone is having success with fruiting Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) in your area [I don't know if it can take Santa Ana winds.].  That is the only Annonaceae family fruit which I like even better than cherimoya.

I have heard very good things about Annona vepretorum, from southern Brazil, which might do well in your area.  Southern Brazil also has several very tasty, but very seedy, Rollinia species, which also might do well in your area.

Annona crassiflora, from the dryish central Brazilian plateau, is also amazingly delicious, and possibly tough enough for southern California.  It has a serious lack of adaptability to soils outside of its native area--- may need extreme acidity?  Mycorrhizae?

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »
:D It's all about eating it at just the right time. The carrie can either be smooth and ultra delicious or the taste and texture of vomit, depending on cultural conditions and stage of ripeness. There's not much of an in between.

So what you're saying is that if there were an in between it would taste like delicious vomit? :P

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »

On their best days , LZ is sweeter. But I like orange sherbet as a tree much better.

I have both.  They are very vigorous.  I've hit them with a PGR which helps shorten internodes.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »
Mark what is PGR?