Author Topic: Anyone with experience in cultivating and germinating white Wani Mango?  (Read 2833 times)

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
I should be about to receive White Wani Mango seeds in the mail from Malaysia. However I can find very little on the web about how to germinate and grow them.

I have the following questions:

I read somewhere on this forum that the seeds of Wani Mangoes should not be planted the wrong way up. But the post did not say which way it should be planted. Anyone with experience of the conditions necessary for germinating them?

Here in northern Uganda we have about 3-4 months dry season. Will the Wani Mangoes cope with this? We have a small stream flowing through our property would the mangoe like to be planted in waterlogged soil or soil that occasionally floods? Can it tolerate flooding? If I planted them in the shade of larger trees should they do better given that they are in a climate that has 3 months dry season with very dry air.? We are about 1200m above sea level and 3 degrees north of the equator.

We grow Avacado and jackfruit easiliy here as well as the normal Mango.

Thank you for any advise!

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
So it looks like no one has any advise on growing Mangifera caesia cv wani?

Any advise would be great! Thanks

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
In fruithunter video they bring wani to usa to grow....very special....

So it will have fruit now i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qnpjt5KzYQ

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
If you grow mango you should have no problem with Wani. Treat it same way as mango. Just lay the seed on side when planting. If you carefully remove the husk it will germinate faster, but it's not necessary to do so. Occasional flooding should be ok.
Oscar

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
I think Noris Ledesma has been trying to propagate this at Fairchild farm unsuccessfully.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone.I appreciate all you wisdom and ideas.

... still waiting for the seeds to arrive 😕

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
I have 3 seeds germinating at the moment in soil under plastic bags for some extra humidity.  Root development is extremely fast in soil.  Tried the paper towel method as well, but it was much slower. 

Did you get yours from Nimfa?  If so, they will probably arrive already germinated.

Best regards,
Scott

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I think Noris Ledesma has been trying to propagate this at Fairchild farm unsuccessfully.
Their attempts were with grafting scion, not seeds. They were unsuccesful first few years because they did not have appropriate rootstock, Will not take on most mangiferas. I believe now they have appropriate rootstock.
Oscar

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
I have 3 seeds germinating at the moment in soil under plastic bags for some extra humidity.  Root development is extremely fast in soil.  Tried the paper towel method as well, but it was much slower. 

Did you get yours from Nimfa?  If so, they will probably arrive already germinated.

Best regards,
Scott

Yes I got them from Nimfa and they arrived! Today!! And indeed they have already germinated! Really excited! I half buried them in compost with the root facing down. Do in need to put them in a plastic bag?

dino

• Martinique FWI
    • View Profile
Hi, guys . How long it takes from your experiences to have fruit from seeds? A friend said he has to wait 17years for his first blooming!

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone with experience in cultivating and germinating white Wani Mango?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
Their attempts were with grafting scion, not seeds. They were unsuccesful first few years because they did not have appropriate rootstock, Will not take on most mangiferas. I believe now they have appropriate rootstock.

Which mangiferas is it graft compatible with?  I'm curious if it's possible to graft onto anything that might grow in California.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Anyone with experience in cultivating and germinating white Wani Mango?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 04:50:44 AM »

Which mangiferas is it graft compatible with?  I'm curious if it's possible to graft onto anything that might grow in California.
I think it was wani (M. caesia), onto M. pajang onto M. indica.
Oscar