Author Topic: Do poeple in the west eat gingko nuts?  (Read 2052 times)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
Do poeple in the west eat gingko nuts?
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
Curious if they are eaten there.  Either as a nut with beer, or mixed in rice dishes, or...?

I plan to grow a bunch in Canada soon as they have AMAZING yellow leaves in fall and taste great, but they stink and not sure if people htere are familiar or keen on the nut as a food.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Do poeple in the west eat gingko nuts?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:12:57 PM »
We have Ginko trees here in my area, but I for one have never heard of anyone eating them and have never done so myself.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:34 PM »
Interesting. i never saw them in canada before.  but the male trees are grown along streets.  now i see asian food type shops stocking them sometimes.  its a common food in japan so was wondering if its caught on yet.  its quite a nice soft nutty treat.

qwertzuiop

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »

Yep, I heard they are eaten. But didn't figure out how you are supposed to deal with the seeds to get rid of the outrageous smell of the fruit. There are plenty of female trees close by to my home... But the smell, always the smell, I never hate any of these seeds. How do they do over there?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
What does it smell like? If you get the fruit up before it rots on ground can you avoid the stink factor?