Author Topic: TV report about me and rare fruits in Reunion  (Read 9459 times)

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
TV report about me and rare fruits in Reunion
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
A few weeks ago i had an opportunity to go for an interview with a local TV team to share my experience as a nurseryman specializing in rare fruits. I said yes as it was a good chance for me to have a good exposure and to make my newly created business known by the most.

So if you have a minutes ahead there it is http://reunion.la1ere.fr/emissions/loca-terre

For non French speaking people, i hope you will enjoy the images.

Of course i have no hope to become an Hollywood star as some people on this forum can claim it but the report is all about me and in minutes please!  :P  ;D
Samuel
Reunion Island

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: TV report about me and rare fruits in Reunion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
Looks like the video has some regional protection that doesn't allow it to be viewed here in the States.

Jaime

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:30:31 PM »
well,ok.... :(

will try and i see if i can do something to share this video and will post again about it whenever i find a solution.
Samuel
Reunion Island

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
Same here, seems blocked in the D.R. also.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
Samuel
Reunion Island

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
Wow Sam you really have a nice setup.  I noticed what looked like vanilla bean vines in one of the shots, have you made your own extract?   I do not understand French, but I do understand delicious fruit, good work !
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
very nice video!  the quality of the production was very professional.

Thanks for sharing the video...I know you'll soon be introducing some new incredible fruits to Reunion  ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »
try this

locaterre 10:3:13_samuel constancy

Samuel,

Loved the video keep up the great work. Enjoyed the annona grafting scenes.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
Great vid! Lucky I speak french  :)

Do you have a subtropical climate? Are you growing mangosteen and chirimoya at the same location?!

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
Samuel,

I really enjoyed watching your video. You have a lovely Nursery and some great looking fruit..:) You are really passionate about what you grow and it shows... Good luck ... :)

Merci Beaucoup

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing Samuel. I enjoyed it a lot even though I didn't understand a word.

Tomas

Tropicquest

• Us zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
Nice video.   What is the name of that yellow fruit in the beginning.   What does it taste like?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »

Do you have a subtropical climate? Are you growing mangosteen and chirimoya at the same location?!

Wow, I'm also shocked. How do you grow mangosteen and cherimoya in the same place? :o :o

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
Nice place you have there Samuel! Is that Passiflora alata in the beginning? Is that hearts of palm being chopped in your kitchen?
I'm surprised nobody has come up yet with a voice activated translation software. Seems like it would not be too hard to write the translated subscripts underneath. Probably Google will be the first to come up with it. Would have been nice to understand what you were saying?
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of plants! I have success with whip and tongue graft for cherimoya too.

I'm also curious like the others about growing cherimoya alongside mangosteen, tropical passiflor, and vanilla orchid. Maybe cherimoya IS the best annona.

I understand French only when it's loud and slow enough or I don't pick up some of the sounds. There's gaps in my vocabulary.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
Notice they never showed any mangosteen trees next to the cherimoyas? My guess is that the mangosteens are coming from lowlands, and the cherimoyas from the highlands. Reunion is like Hawaii, with lots of different altitudes and climates.
I have both cherimoya and mangosteen planted here at 650 ft. elevation. The mangosteen does a lot better. Only get occasional cherimoyas. So i've started to remove them. Here cherimoyas need 1000 ft. + elevation to produce well.
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 05:10:03 AM »
Bravo, Samuel, et bonne chance pour l'aventure qui a l'air de bien demarrer d'ailleurs. Et ravi d'avoir un francophone parmi nous.

Nicely done, I could feel a true passionate tropical fruits grower in the video.
Thera

JulieBoolie

• Germany, Bavaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »
Magnifique! :)
You really live in a nice area and your plants look amazing. Do you plant the grafted cherimoyas or do you sell them?
Keep up the good work

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Thanks to all for your warm comments!

here are a few answers regarding some questions that came up
Wow Sam you really have a nice setup.  I noticed what looked like vanilla bean vines in one of the shots, have you made your own extract?   I do not understand French, but I do understand delicious fruit, good work !

the vanilla bean vines you can see on some shots are not grown by myself. They are grown by the owner of the land where i am developing the nursery. So no i have not made my own extract but he does make it though he rather sells whole vanilla pods prepared in different ways (curing varies from one type to another). The one considered to be the best preparation being the frosted vanilla "vanille givrée" where vanilla pods are allowed to reach full maturity on the veins picked one by one when they reach this stage and then kept to sit in a shaded and ventilated area for few months till they blacken and develop some kind of small crystals in their inside.

this property is located at sea level on the south eastern side of the island where we have a humid  and wet tropical like climate.

very nice video!  the quality of the production was very professional.

Thanks for sharing the video...I know you'll soon be introducing some new incredible fruits to Reunion  ;D

the film makers are doing some great job indeed. Their program is dealing with environmental issues. It is my second time working with them and i appreciate their friendliness and professionalism.

Samuel,

Loved the video keep up the great work. Enjoyed the annona grafting scenes.

The scenes may look good but the result was rather poor. Not more than 10% of this grafting trial was good. It was my first attempt with green grafting annonas and i can't say i am much convinced. Either i have done something wrong or the climatic conditions following the grafting were so wet that it could not help... to me ending winter/early spring graft of hardened bud sticks is much more of  a sure shot with annonas

no mangosteen can be grown here from sea level up to around  400 m elevation. Cherimoya would start from 400m but would really be worth being grown from 600m to higher elevations. Shots were made at different locations on the island. The place where one can see cherimoya trees is on the west coast at 900 m altitude. It is the only orchard i know about on the whole island! Then you will only find a few trees scattered here and there in backyards.

Actually all the fruits (except sweet lillikoi) you can see on the video were taken in some friends backyards. I haven't yet any fruiting trees on my own. Coming very soon :)

Thanks for sharing Samuel. I enjoyed it a lot even though I didn't understand a word.

Tomas

basically i have been presenting my work as nurseryman aiming to participate in the efforts of developing fruit crops diversity on the island. I am saying that not only lychees, mango and citrus can be grown in Reunion and that too many species have been left aside as it is the case for cherimoya, canistel, chikoos...without talking about all the recent introductions and the ones that still need to be done. Saying that all this represents a great potential for the future of Reunionnese fruit history.

Nice place you have there Samuel! Is that Passiflora alata in the beginning? Is that hearts of palm being chopped in your kitchen?

yes P. alata, and palm hearts: this specie is called here the white palm tree (Acantophoenix alba and it is endemic to the  archipelago of Mascareignes. It tastes much better compared to pejibaye.

Bravo, Samuel, et bonne chance pour l'aventure qui a l'air de bien demarrer d'ailleurs. Et ravi d'avoir un francophone parmi nous.

moi également ravi de savoir que je ne suis pas tout seul ici :) et de découvrir des compatriotes expatriés?

Magnifique! :)
You really live in a nice area and your plants look amazing. Do you plant the grafted cherimoyas or do you sell them?
Keep up the good work

right now i rather sell the grafted seedlings encouraging people living at high elevations to plant this wonderful fruit. I planted  a few trees on another plot not showing on this video that is located at an intermediate altitude around 300m above sea level. But i would need another plot much higher to be able to to grow some kind of cherimoya orchard who which i may try to achieve since it is my favorite annonas ...at least from the one i have tried.

Samuel
Reunion Island

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
Hey Samuel!

I have no idea what you're saying ( I don't speak french) but it's lovely to see what you look like :)

Thanks for sharing
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
Congratulations! I loved the video, I whish it include subs in french so youtube can auto-translate. I have a little chirimoya too, so sad I will have to wait 5 years to try the fruit!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:02:52 PM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
Congratulations! I loved the video, I whish it include subs in french so youtube can auto-translate. I have a little chirimoya too, so sad I will have to wait 5 years to try the fruit!

Supposedly cherimoya grows in northern Argentina, maybe in Jujuy? Guess it's not ever exported to Buenos Aires?
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing this video, it is to bad that it couldn't be translated but of course fruit growers can understand some of what is going on for sure. Nice whip & tongue grafts on the Cherimoya.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing this video, it is to bad that it couldn't be translated but of course fruit growers can understand some of what is going on for sure. Nice whip & tongue grafts on the Cherimoya.

If Samuel has some video editing software, and he has nothing better to do, he could add subtitles in english?
Oscar

SCGil

• USA, Conway, South Carolina, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
Really enjoyed the interview even though I do not understand a word of french, except maybe 'french toast or french fries' .........great video!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk