Author Topic: Anyone else had the same problem with Trade-Winds fruit?  (Read 10114 times)

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
Anyone else had the same problem with Trade-Winds fruit?
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »
Hey everyone, every time that I order seeds from Trade-Winds, They don't sprout for about 3-6 months and then I check on them and they have these revolting pulsating worms gobbling down the inside of the side until it is just a mushy shell. This happens with every single one of my orders from Trade-Winds, anyone else had the same problem. The other reason I find this strange is that I was using just opened Sterile Seed Starter and I didn't overwater the seeds, just gave them the amount given on the package, and the seeds were Actindia Arguta, Rollinia Deliciosa, Actindia deliciosa, Annona Purperea, Annona Cherimola, Averrhoa Carombola, Monstera Deliciosa, Annona Senegalensis, Raimondia sp., and Couroupita Nicaraugensis. All the seeds had different worms but they did the same thing, ordered a seed sand-which and ate up like it was there last meal. Regards-PM
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else had the same problem with Trade-Winds fruit?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:01:53 AM »
Sometimes they are good sometimes they are not.  I believe as seed merchants, they get in seeds and sell them 'til they are gone, if they dont sell them they loose their investment.  I haven't bought in awhile and the website has changed.  They used to have a "new arrivals" list and that would be the only list I'd buy from.  With a casual glance at the site, I dont see it anymore.  It wont help with worms but if you are going to be starting a lot of seeds, you might invest in a thermostat controlled heat mat, they can really help.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:52 AM »
I bought from them many times and different kind of tropical seeds. As I remember no one sprouted properly. Forget the store!
Mike

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
The seeds from easy stuff, like Physalis, that I've bought from them did just fine.  Can't comment on the species you bought.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:50 AM »
The seeds from easy stuff, like Physalis, that I've bought from them did just fine.  Can't comment on the species you bought.
Guavas, annonas, papayas, feijoas, etc.
Mike

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
Ya I have had moderate success with their seeds. I ordered some garcinia that didn't sprout, but they were nice and refunded me the money.
- David Antonio Garcia

SCGil

• USA, Conway, South Carolina, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
I bought seeds for 6 or 8 different tropical plants several years ago and got zero germination. I did use a heat mat and gave them months to germinate but nothing! At least you got worms! That was my first and last try with Trade-Winds. Gil

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
I've had successes and failures with Tradewinds. Usually in a pack of 4 or 5 seeds at least 1 or 2 always germinated.  I've also decided I would avoid  seeds that lose their viability quicky. Things like papaya.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
Just to be fair, here is something I grew from a seed  I purchased from tradewinds.

Custard apple.  Germinated approximately January 2012

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
I got a garcinia macrophylla from them that germinated, I lost it cause it dryed out, but it did sprout. However they told me that they stop selling garcinia because of their short viability
- David Antonio Garcia

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »
I am happy with my TradeWinds purchases... my most recent purchase was Carob & Papaya - 80% germination of the papaya and 3 of the 10 or 12 Carob came up - but theyre doing just fine and that's better than I had expected anyway (there were 3 big seeds and the rest were smallish - the big seeds germinated in about a week, the others are still in a bag).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:14 AM »
I've had successes and failures with Tradewinds. Usually in a pack of 4 or 5 seeds at least 1 or 2 always germinated.  I've also decided I would avoid  seeds that lose their viability quicky. Things like papaya.

Papaya seeds do not lose viability quickly if properly stored. They can be refrigerated and maintain good viability for over one year.
Oscar

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:07:24 AM »

Papaya seeds do not lose viability quickly if properly stored. They can be refrigerated and maintain good viability for over one year.

hm, The mountain papaya seeds I got must have been over a year old then. lol

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:56 AM »

hm, The mountain papaya seeds I got must have been over a year old then. lol

Either too old, or not properly stored.
Oscar

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »
I got a load of dead Rollinia seeds from them last year.. I guess if you wanted seeds to make a necklace or something it might be okay!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 06:57:16 AM »
I got a load of dead Rollinia seeds from them last year.. I guess if you wanted seeds to make a necklace or something it might be okay!

Unlike other annonas, rollinias have a very short shelf life.
Oscar

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »

I got a load of dead rollinia from them too.  Also got 25 seeds from Top Tropicals, only one germinated lol. Recently found someone seeling rollinia seeds on ebay.  Ordered 20 all 20 germinated and are growing. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk