Author Topic: Peak of the South East Florida mango season is June-July?  (Read 1486 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Peak of the South East Florida mango season is June-July?
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:52:05 AM »
Me being in Broward county. From here the 8 weeks of June-July are the height of the mango season. Some slight variation each year of course.
Is this accurate for South East Florida counties meaning Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties? It is good to establish this peak when we get overwhelmed with mangoes and can't even give them away. This way you can plant some trees that are outside the peak such as Gold Nugget which is August

West Coast of South Florida counties must be about the same time table. The West Coast is slightly cooler than East Coast? Naples, Collier County, Florida must be prime mango territory but I never hear any reports from there. I know we have Fort Meyers members. I hear that St Petersburg has numerous backyard mango trees
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:17:21 AM by zands »

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Peak of the South East Florida mango season is June-July?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
I think St. Petersburg is about 2 weeks behind SE Florida. I've noticed yearly variation too. Here is the ECHO (Ft. Myers) mango ripening timetable:
http://www.echonet.org/content/fruitInformation/627
Their general tropical fruit ripening chart:
http://www.echonet.org/content/fruitInformation/616
Richard

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Peak of the South East Florida mango season is June-July?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
It will vary based on the prior winter and spring weather but i would say July is the peak in SEFla...i would not really add June unless you wanted to limit it to the last seven to ten days of June.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk