Author Topic: Do nematodes attack the roots of citrus?  (Read 558 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Do nematodes attack the roots of citrus?
« on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
As the subject says. I have some trees that I have had for 8 years and I barely touch aside from reducing the blooms so all the branches don't hit the ground when they have fruit. Then I have others I have tried over the years than just don't make it no matter what I do. My area has heavy nematode presence and figs for example do not stand a chance in the ground. So it just came to me out of the blue as all of my surviving and producing citrus except one pumelo is on mounds or not on the ground level of natural soil(House is 6" above ground level from imported topsoil.) I am curious if nematodes will attack the roots of citrus?

For reference my current producing and living citrus, all of which are 8+  years old are Key lime, 9 pound lemon, yuzu lemon(non-producing but alive and growing), pumelo, naval orange, pink lemon, Unknown orange(was already 16 feet tall when I moved in). Looking at adding a limequat and a centennial kumquat.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Do nematodes attack the roots of citrus?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 11:26:24 AM »
The answer to your question is most definitely YES   

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
Lol. my new ones I am planning on will be in individual raised beds so I shouldn't have to worry about that. Wondering how different it will be. Never actually tried raising citrus in pots.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:28:46 PM »
Soil type, rootstock, and the level of organic matter in the soil greatly influence the level of nematodes, but I am thinking you have a different problem. Nematodes do migrate through the soil (the lighter the texture the faster they can move). Simply putting the trees on raised beds would not eliminate the nematode problem. Even if you started with nematode free soil, the pressure shoild have equalized over 8 years. That is why Florida state law now requires citrus nurseries to have all of their propogation tables at least 10" from the bottom of the pot to the ground. If your house and some of your trees are raised or planted on mounds, I am going to assume that you have a high water table in your area. Maybe the lower roots of your trees are sitting in water and getting killed off even though the water never comes up above the ground level. This happens a lot in "flatwoods groves" and is why so may of those groves died out more quickly from greening. Incidentally, the surviving trees that you listed tend to be more tollerent of greening with the possible exception of the established orange. Just some thoughts, not sure if they fit your exact situation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk