Author Topic: American beach plum (Prunus maritima)  (Read 3955 times)

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
American beach plum (Prunus maritima)
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
Hello all,

I've been interested in the American Beach plums (Prunus maritima) since I first read about it on the book " Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden" where Lee Reich seems very found of this species... but I never found or knew anyone growing this species in Europe so far...

I would like to know other opinions on this species ... does it really worth growing?... are the fruits good?... Is anyone here growing some selected varieties of this species ?... are they different enough compared to other common plums to deserve growing?... I know that they have smaller fruits compared to normal "Prunus domestica" plums but I do not see it as negative as I would like to have smaller plums on my collection...

Anyone here interested in trade some cuttings/scions of this species?... I have several plum rootstocks ready to be grafted I now it's time to do it...
I can trade for myrtaceae seeds or any other stuff I have... please PM if interested...thanks in advance...

I remember reading also about an even smaller American prunus fruit... Western sand cherry... Prunus besseyi is the name... any comments on this one are most welcome too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:31:06 AM by Miguel.pt »

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: American beach plum (Prunus maritima)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »
I'm unsure if you are searching for this plant from scions only, or are you willing to order via mail. However there's a italian nursery which keeps it in stock, and i do think they ship.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »
Buongiorno Pancrazio

Thank you for your answer... Can you please give me the name of that Italian nursery?... do you know if they have any selected varieties for sale?...or just seed issued plants?

Are you growing this species?

if possible I prefer to trade but I don't mind to buy if prices and postage costs are acceptable.

But I still wonder: aren't any US forum members growing the "American beach plum"?

Thanks again!

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:36:13 PM »
Here you are:
http://www.vivaigabbianelli.it/frutti-del-benessere/2614-susino-della-spiaggia-prunus-maritima.html
They do ship in Europe.
I'm not affiliated to this nursery in any way neither i have ever bought from them. Neither i have this plant. But I'm glad i have helped!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
Thanks Pancrazio,

I've checked that website and those seem to be seed issued plants and from what I read they are not always good... so I prefer to start with some selected varieties if I ever can find those... moreover they had only one plant and I seem to remember reading that this species needs "two to dance"...

The search continues... anybody else can help me?

Thanks in advance

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
Thanks Pancrazio,

I've checked that website and those seem to be seed issued plants and from what I read they are not always good... so I prefer to start with some selected varieties if I ever can find those... moreover they had only one plant and I seem to remember reading that this species needs "two to dance"...

The search continues... anybody else can help me?

Thanks in advance

I know people in the NE of U.S. most likely would have variety selections. I have never grew it, but heard it was popular fruit for making preserves. This article can help with research into it; http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1017/

Source of trees; http://www.oikostreecrops.com/Edible-Fruits/Plums/c-6-68-82/
Seeds: https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sale/Prunus/maritima///////1140//Beach-Plum
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Miguel.pt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:47:43 PM »
Hi Nullzero

Thank for the info.
I'm more interested in fresh eating than preserves... so if possible I prefer some varieties selected for fresh eating... please remember me in case you find someone growing these.
Thanks in advance