Author Topic: Extreme topping ("pugging") of my Lemon Zest  (Read 21964 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme topping ("pugging") of my Lemon Zest
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
Mark, I’m sorry about all your losses. I really hope your LZ pulls through, the cambium does still look green in the picture. Please keep us updated on the progress of the tree.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
Mark, I’m sorry about all your losses. I really hope your LZ pulls through, the cambium does still look green in the picture. Please keep us updated on the progress of the tree.

Simon

Thanks bud!  The support and offers for replacements has been overwhelming.  Gardeners are something else.

Being that they went thru a low of 18F, this will be an education for me and other growers in cold areas.

Needless to say we've been giving away and processing citrus, especially Moro blood orange.  If you've never made marmalade, you're missing it.  Second batch went really fast with blood oranges and a few Meyers.  Flavor is VERY exotic and complex with 2 vanilla beans, pinch of cardamon powder and two 3" cinnamon sticks steeped in the brew an hour or so before canning.  No water bath.

Large blood orange ice cubes make a great addition to a manhattan cocktail or plopped into a glass of OJ in the morning.

It's a bit early on the Moro's but we made the best of the situation.  Flavor is best come late Feb. and they go inky burgundy with a background of raspberry.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Looks like the Lemon Zest is gonna make it.  As of yesterday, 15 days after enduring 18F in the greenhouse, it passed the green bark test but as the photo shows it was weeping and some green flesh is showing.  Have no clue what that is.  If this makes it it's gonna be a miracle! 

Point being the 6-7 scaffold branches really worked out well with excellent branching and a beautiful thick canopy.

Freeze damage, total leaf loss.  Branches of a Meyer lemon is in the foreground, and it's alive!  I grafted it to Flying Dragon which probably induced some cold hardiness.

This is insane!  what happened to the climate control?
- Marley

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »

Yep, am just now trying recover mentally and let it go.  In a nutshell a safety limit switch kicked in and shut down the heater. Tech had it fixed in an hour.  Was going to get an alarm, never got around to it.  One fruit growing pioneer was away and lost his entire greenhouse, his collection since the 80's, when a neighbor's shed blew into the poly covering and ripped it up.  He had a low of 10F.

Now here's what's weird - the Reed, Lemon Zest and all citrus are showing life.  My Meyer even still has green leaves!  I thank the Flying Dragon rootstock for that.  Am hoping the rootstock of the Sweet Tart and your cocktail tree pushes something so I can graft back to the shoots.  Lost all my precious pineapples, plumerias, orchids, mater, baby rootstocks, etc.  Shit happens....  Texans got hit hard.  We never made it above 23F during the day and that night it was 13F for many hours. 

Austin hit a record -2 in 1949.  You just never know what mother nature is gonna hand you.   

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

Yep, am just now trying recover mentally and let it go.  In a nutshell a safety limit switch kicked in and shut down the heater. Tech had it fixed in an hour.  Was going to get an alarm, never got around to it.  One fruit growing pioneer was away and lost his entire greenhouse, his collection since the 80's, when a neighbor's shed blew into the poly covering and ripped it up.  He had a low of 10F.

Now here's what's weird - the Reed, Lemon Zest and all citrus are showing life.  My Meyer even still has green leaves!  I thank the Flying Dragon rootstock for that.  Am hoping the rootstock of the Sweet Tart and your cocktail tree pushes something so I can graft back to the shoots.  Lost all my precious pineapples, plumerias, orchids, mater, baby rootstocks, etc.  Shit happens....  Texans got hit hard.  We never made it above 23F during the day and that night it was 13F for many hours. 

Austin hit a record -2 in 1949.  You just never know what mother nature is gonna hand you.

Yikes!   I hope for the best!  I ate rootstock mangoes in the 1990s and liked them...if you top graft yr mango tree(s) its not so bad to let some rootstock grow out to give fruit

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2018, 08:33:30 AM »
Yikes!   I hope for the best!  I ate rootstock mangoes in the 1990s and liked them...if you top graft yr mango tree(s) its not so bad to let some rootstock grow out to give fruit

Am playing the wait and see game Zands.  If something pushes from the rootstock, then I graft fer sure.  But, "nothing is as good or bad as first perceived".  My beloved cocktail tree of 7 Zill grafts is toast but am seeing green doing the bark scratch test on the Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest.  This is really weird!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
A week ago i ate my first Lemon Zest mango and i liked the smooth texture and really tastes like lemons but it wasnt too sweet compared to otther mangoes .

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2019, 10:46:41 PM »
A properly grown Lemon Zest from an established tree eaten at full ripeness is extremely sweet. It not unusual for it to get between 26-28% Brix with nubbins reaching 32% Brix. This is so sweet that some people may get stomach aches. It can be difficult to eat a whole fruit at 28% Brix, especially considering LZ is a good sized fruit.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »
Yep!  How some can eat a couple of LZ at one sitting is beyond me.  it can be really rich and sweet.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
The one i ate wasnt too ripe ,had just a yellow hue but wasnt really yellow .The sweeteness was like that of an orange and quite shocking because i never ate a sour mango before.Texture was buttery.I toght of germinating the seed but my girlfriend found it in the fridge and throw it in the garbage bin.Are these polyembrionic and come true to type from seed,or they need to be grafted?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
LZ is Polyembryonic but you have to ensure you get at least two sprouts from different segments of the seed. There is a chance you get the zygotic seedling which will not be a clone.

Simon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
LZ is Polyembryonic but you have to ensure you get at least two sprouts from different segments of the seed. There is a chance you get the zygotic seedling which will not be a clone.

Simon
THX Simon.I toght it might be polyembrionic because of the big size.Will see if il be able to find another one to buy.