Author Topic: Leo hybrid Cherimoya crossed with Atemoya seedling #1 and#3  (Read 12462 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Leo hybrid Cherimoya crossed with Atemoya seedling #1 and#3
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
I picked up these two Cherimoya/Atemoya hybrids from Leo Manuel last week. These are fruit from seedling trees created by pollinating a Cherimoya flower with Atemoya pollen and from pollinating an Atemoya flower with Cherimoya pollen. I forget which seedling is which. Leo mentioned that his seedling #3 was very well received at a recent tasting he had. I have not tried the #3 fruit yet, perhaps later tonight.

He gave me two fruit from his seedling #1 tree, the one with smoother skin. One fruit, the one I'm evaluating now, had animal damage to it so I put it outside in my backyard to ripen. I often ripen injured fruit outdoors because the circulating air outdoors is better at preventing mold growth, at least where I live. Anyways, this fruit was fairly large, close to 1.5 pounds and it had a Brix reading of 26%. It had velvety smooth flesh that had the texture of what I would expect from a Cherimoya/Atemoya cross. The flavor was exceptional with great sugar acid balance and notes of African Pride Atemoya but with a great acidity that gave this fruit some character.

The flesh texture reminded me a lot of Calimoyas Special Hybrid which I believe was also a Cherimoya/Atemoya hybrid. The seed count was low for the amount of flesh there was and Leo said he got fruit from his trees without hand pollination. Just these two factors alone are enough to put this variety on my to grow list but the whole package of quality traits seals it. This variety is also extremely late season as I have harvested all my Cherimoyas several months ago so this variety will make a great Annonas season extender.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Leo hybrid Cherimoya crossed with Atemoya seedling #1 and#3
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
Awesome looking fruit!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »
Here is the larger seedling #1 that was ripened outdoors that I just evaluated.

I forgot to mention the negative traits to seedling #1. The flesh around the skin was very grainy like a pear, this may be caused by the animal injury or by me ripening it outdoors. The other negative is that to my nose, the skin of the fruit has a very very faint rubbery smell to it, nothing like what it tastes like. I will evanuate my other fully intact seedling #1 fruit when it ripens inside my house.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »
Here is the larger seedling #1 that was ripened outdoors that I just evaluated.

I forgot to mention the negative traits to seedling #1. The flesh around the skin was very grainy like a pear, this may be caused by the animal injury or by me ripening it outdoors. The other negative is that to my nose, the skin of the fruit has a very very faint rubbery smell to it, nothing like what it tastes like. I will evanuate my other fully intact seedling #1 fruit when it ripens inside my house.

Simon

Simon
Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. Graininess is the most undesirable trait an annona can have. Maybe the fruit you tried was over ripped. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:26:08 PM »
Yes it could have been a tad overripe or perhaps the way I ripened it outdoors with a huge injury on it.

Well, I cut open the seedling #3 and it was excellent! It weighed about 1 pound and had slightly more seeds relative to the amount of flesh it had. It had a Brix of 24% and the texture of the flesh was smooth with absolutely no graniness at all. In my personal opinion, this fruit had a flavor profile of what I would expect from a Cherimoya/Atemoya cross with very noticeable notes of rasberry and subtle notes of blueberry. The smell of this fruit is very similar to the smell of a ripe African Pride Atemoya with a hint of tropical Anona acidity. This is a top notch fruit, I would like to compare it head to head with top tier Cherimoya varieties but this is highly unlikely as they appear to ripen much later than Cherimoyas. I will also be grafting this variety onto my cocktail tree.

Simon

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:03:29 AM »
Incredible good looking fruit! Thank you for the report, it is encouraging to hear that these crossings generate such beautiful and good tasting fruit, that also ripens in another season. They sound like winners!

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
Nice report Simon, thanks for sharing you experience!

Richard

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »
Staying with a related subject, California tropical fruit legends, here is Rudy Grape cherimoya. This moya mimics the best eating Concord grape with a hint of citrus. It has a delay grape taste the texture is smooth and some tart detected.

The fruit on the left

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »
The fruit looks excellent JF! Rudy's selections are amazing. I can't believe how good his Mango and Cherimoya selections are. His El Bumpo is still one of my all time favorite cherimoyas.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »
The fruit looks excellent JF! Rudy's selections are amazing. I can't believe how good his Mango and Cherimoya selections are. His El Bumpo is still one of my all time favorite cherimoyas.

Simon

The cherimoyas and atemoyas from the farm have been bland and seedy. Rudy Lemon and Grape are diamonds in the rough seedlings. Rudy grape is a seedling of el bumpo or an improve version

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 10:55:36 PM »
Hey Simon,

The look and taste description of the #3 sounds amazing, and something I would definitely be interested in trying to grow here in Fl. Does Mr Manuel propagate and sell any of his crosses?

-joep450

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 12:51:46 AM »
Hello Joep450,

I'm not sure if Leo sells any of his plants or scions, he usually shares them with his friends and members of the CRFG. I can ask him next time I see him.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

There has been a lot of interest in Leo's Cherimoya/ Atemoya seedling #3. I just got an email from Leo and he said his tree needs to grow out more before he can harvest anymore scions. This is definitely a very promising selection from Leo and I hope we can enter it into the next Annona tasting. Leo did give me several fruit to bring to Ashoks Annona tasting but the fruit were harvested much too early and did not ripen properly. I'll keep everyone updated.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
About a week ago, I visited Leo and he gave me two fruits of his Cherimoya crossed with Atemoya. Both fruit are from his Leo #1 variety. I opened up the smaller one a couple days ago and it was really good with a Brix of 26% and the fruit had great acidity with a velvety smooth creamy texture. There was some graininess on the flesh directly adjacent to the skin but the flavor was so good, I decided to bring the larger fruit in to work today to share with my coworkers.

This larger fruit weighed between 1-1.5 lbs and tasted just like I described above but was a little less sweet with a Brix of 21%. I shared the fruit with about ten coworkers and everyone of them liked it so much that they saved the seeds and asked me how to grow the tree. They said it tasted like a cross between a mango and a banana. They kept saying it was one of the best fruit they have ever tasted.

I'm so used to eating Cherimoyas and Annonas that I sometimes forget how very few people have had the chance to try these fruit.

These Leo Hybrids taste fantastic and the low seed count is the icing on the cake. I'm not sue if these fruit should be called very early or very late as they were growing last year and finally ripening early this year. Leo gets fruit from these hybrid trees without hand pollination but I'm sure he will get better shaped and larger fruit if he did hand pollinate.

Here is a picture of the Leo Hybrid #1. This fruit was slightly overripe but still delicious.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
Excellent report on Leo's hybrid seedlings Simon, please put me on a list for scion's when there available(CRFG-Central Coast for 20 yrs.) :P ;) 8)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »
About a week ago, I visited Leo and he gave me two fruits of his Cherimoya crossed with Atemoya. Both fruit are from his Leo #1 variety. I opened up the smaller one a couple days ago and it was really good with a Brix of 26% and the fruit had great acidity with a velvety smooth creamy texture. There was some graininess on the flesh directly adjacent to the skin but the flavor was so good, I decided to bring the larger fruit in to work today to share with my coworkers.

This larger fruit weighed between 1-1.5 lbs and tasted just like I described above but was a little less sweet with a Brix of 21%. I shared the fruit with about ten coworkers and everyone of them liked it so much that they saved the seeds and asked me how to grow the tree. They said it tasted like a cross between a mango and a banana. They kept saying it was one of the best fruit they have ever tasted.

I'm so used to eating Cherimoyas and Annonas that I sometimes forget how very few people have had the chance to try these fruit.

These Leo Hybrids taste fantastic and the low seed count is the icing on the cake. I'm not sue if these fruit should be called very early or very late as they were growing last year and finally ripening early this year. Leo gets fruit from these hybrid trees without hand pollination but I'm sure he will get better shaped and larger fruit if he did hand pollinate.

Here is a picture of the Leo Hybrid #1. This fruit was slightly overripe but still delicious.

Simon

I had LM#1,2,3 in my Cumbe tasting and I was impress with the mild flavor. I prefer my atemoyas a little bit chewier and sweeter. 

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »
Very interesting.
Har

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Simon

The forum notification isn't working so a note to let you know I sent you a PM.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 01:49:58 AM »
Likewise Simon, I sent you a DM as well

-joep450

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »
Hello Future and JoeP450,

I did not receive PMs from either of you. Can you try re sending?

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 01:32:25 PM »
I was helping Leo with some grafting and air layering over the weekend and he gave me a couple of his Leo Hybrid #3 Fruit. He found two fruit that had been partially eaten by animals but I wanted to collect the seeds for the nursery.

Here’s some pictures of the fruit that were partially eaten

Here’s a picture of an untouched fruit. It weighed about a pound.

The fruit was absolutely delicious with a smooth texture and a very sweet taste with a Brix reading of 24%. The acidity level was perfect and the fruit had a strong Rasberry flavor with Blueberry essence which came from its Atemoya background. This Cherimoya Atemoya hybrid produces fruit without hand pollination and is starting to become one of my favorite Annonas.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »
Here’s the inside of the Leo Hybrid #3, this is the fruit that was not damaged by animals and it ripened perfectly with a Brix of 26%. This fruit has such excellent acidity for a hybrid, something that was lacking from Calimoyas hybrid fruit although Jays Fruit had better smooth skin and excellent shape. The Rasberry like acidity is in your face, not subtle at all, and is perfectly balanced with the high sugar content.

As I wrote in the other thread, I believe Leo’s Hybrid #3 will be an excellent top graft as you will be able to get Fruit higher up in the canopy where you normally wouldn’t be able to reach because it does not require hand pollination.

I spoke to Leo and he gave me the OK to come up with a name for his Hybrid and also to disperse scions and or seeds to our friends in Florida and elsewhere. I am out of seeds and scions this year but my partner Brad and I are trying to grow out enough material to sell some scions next year.

Simon

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
Sign me up!

Are you familiar with Sabor? If so, how does this compare?  Sabor was my favorite from a box of Pierce, Campas, Honeyhart, and Fino de Jete because of the acidity.
Brandon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 12:26:56 AM »
I’ve had Sabor and most of the more popular varieties from the UC extensions Cherimoya tastings and from our own Cherimoya tastings and it’s hard to compare them without doing a direct taste comparison. Cherimoya season is much earlier for me and Leo’s Hybrid #3 ripens much later. This late, or early in the annona season when I haven’t had a Cherimoya in a couple months, this Leo Hybrid #3 tastes as good or even better than a Cherimoya but that could just be the fact that I have no Cherimoyas around to compare to.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it several times already but I’m not a fan of Atemoyas because I feel most lack acidity. The Leo Hybrid has so much acidity I feel it has more acidity than Selma and Booth, maybe similar acidity to El Bumpo on a good day.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »
Simon, as you know i have Leo's #1&3 growing on my trees but will be a few years before branches are big enough to fruit but I'll be sure to report to you when they do! My season up here on Central Coast is later than down South and we have cooler Summers so will be interesting to see when they ripen up here. ;)