Author Topic: What avocados can live in -10C?  (Read 5538 times)

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
What avocados can live in -10C?
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:17:50 PM »
Good day

The winter temperatures in this area drop to -10C.

Avocados can live here in the outdoor?

THanks.

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: What avocados can live in -10C?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:05:24 AM »
Winter Cado. J/K....I think most will die in the 20's, nevertheless, -10.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 03:00:01 AM »
-10C is 14F...   At any rate there was a thread earlier about cold hearty avocados. Search for that.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
How does it get to -10C in Pusan/Busan? You are in a coastal region and on the same latitude as Malta, Crete, Gibraltar, North Carolina...

Anyway, try and get seeds of the avocado cultivar "Aravaipa" or "Don Juan". I tried before but nobody wanted to engage. Good luck.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:02:04 PM »
Thanks. everyone.

I will try to get the seeds to follow your advise.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Thanks. everyone.

Do not get avocado seeds. You have no idea what the quality of the tree will be, and you’ll waste 6years of your life in the process.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »
The following are the most hardy I know of, all said to be hardy to 15F.

Pancho, Joey, Fantastic, Lila & Brazos Belle.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »
Thanks. everyone.

Do not get avocado seeds. You have no idea what the quality of the tree will be, and you’ll waste 6years of your life in the process.

Can he not do other things during the 6 years that trees are growing in his yard? Think a little more before uttering nonsense. The guy claims to be in a climate of -10C minimum, so in order to stand any chance he needs to work with seedling trees A) for their vigor and B) their genetic variation. No current cultivars are known to be that cold hardy, so what the hell is he going to have grafted? Added the fact that it would very expensive to bring trees to South Korea. A bit of a breeding project is in order here.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:20:14 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »
The following are the most hardy I know of, all said to be hardy to 15F.

Pancho, Joey, Fantastic, Lila & Brazos Belle.
You forgot duke and winter mexican...

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
How does it get to -10C in Pusan/Busan? You are in a coastal region and on the same latitude as Malta, Crete, Gibraltar, North Carolina...

Anyway, try and get seeds of the avocado cultivar "Aravaipa" or "Don Juan". I tried before but nobody wanted to engage. Good luck.

There is a tremendous difference between all those points in Mediterranean and North Carolina with South Korea. Latitude isn't everything.  Last two are firmly temperate climates.  No shortage of hard freezes in North Carolina even in warmer coastal areas. Unprotected avocado tree in South Korea is a wild idea and should be replaced with something more doable. Even if temps don't reach -10 that particular winter, persistent and consistent temp around freezing will get the tree every year.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 11:12:46 PM »
For cold hardy ive seen some claim the aravaipa can handle 10 degrees but i have doubts, i suspect a large tree though can survive high teens if tree is decent in size, there are some very large duke trees in oroville ca,  the trees are likey over 70 years old, trunks are likey over 3 feet thick, im sure temps in that area has got below 17 degrees over the last 70 years. Im including picture of new aravaipa grafts that took i also have duke in my cold hardy group along with boony doon.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
Unprotected avocado tree in South Korea is a wild idea and should be replaced with something more doable. Even if temps don't reach -10 that particular winter, persistent and consistent temp around freezing will get the tree every year.

Looks very cold for avocado. Check out the frost days line!
https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/climatemodelled/busan_republic-of-korea_1838524

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
Aravipa from Arizona

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »
Jeju island offshore and south of the Korean mainland is where citrus is grown avocado would probably do well there.

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Outdoors in -10C sounds pretty unlikely. What about Wurtz/Little Cado in a container that can be kept outdoors in good weather and brought into shelter when it's cold? If totally outdoors is essential, Del Rio sounds promising--this article claims hardiness to -9C, which is pretty close to what you need. https://floridafruitgeek.com/cold-hardy-avocados/?fbclid=IwAR1_bB3mKvWVuHz5SoFD25bZoxvabjDLLgVYEVRnEbfBIU4jP7xIpyFnpEY

Much will depend on the duration of the low temperatures--a short drop into the mid-teens might be doable, but I expect protracted cold lasting many hours or days would be lethal. Also, in a conversation with a grower in Texas, I was told it's particularly damaging when the temperature drops abruptly from mild conditions to a hard freeze.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 11:52:31 PM »
I am not sure where you got the idea that Bonny Doon has any cold hardiness attributes whatsoever . Until you have any data it would be kind to stop perpetuating a myth that the Bonny Doon avocado is cold hardy.
The mother tree grows less than 1 mile from the Ocean in an area that very rarely gets below 30 degree’s or has any sort of frost.

quote author=Avoman link=topic=30178.msg374810#msg374810 date=1577247166]
For cold hardy ive seen some claim the aravaipa can handle 10 degrees but i have doubts, i suspect a large tree though can survive high teens if tree is decent in size, there are some very large duke trees in oroville ca,  the trees are likey over 70 years old, trunks are likey over 3 feet thick, im sure temps in that area has got below 17 degrees over the last 70 years. Im including picture of new aravaipa grafts that took i also have duke in my cold hardy group along with boony doon.

[/quote]

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
Bush look at epicenter website im going by what is said on their website not where mother tree is grown.i consider any avo doing pretty well when able to handle temps under 25 degrees F.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Excellent link Tucsonken a very good read.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
Ismael avocado. A large(2-5lb) California West Indian race avocado. Very clean, easy peel, creamy, a holiday avocado.....much better than Bacon and the exports from Chile and Mexico that flood the market during the holidays.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »
Sending pic of epicenter decription of bonny doon for anyone considering planting, they sound like at least as cold hardy as a zutano or bacon and likey even better  tasting than a zutano or bacon, though i personaly like zutano fruit.For ultimate cold hardy i would go with someones list posted earlier and add 10 more kinds staying with full mexican blood will likey produce best results, protect any kind in severe freeze, full tent with added heat.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 07:35:03 PM by Avoman »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
It doesn’t get under 25 at Epicenter nursery or where the Bonny Doon mother tree is.
Why are you so set on having this be a very cold tolerant Avocado when it is most likely a Hass seedling (guatemalan heritage) that has not exhibited those characteristics?
If people want to grow a very cold tolerant Avocado it’s better to not set up for failure and go for a Mexicola, Duke or Aravaipa where there is data and people growing them through cold winters with frost on the ground. There is no such data I have seen for Bonny Doon.

Bush look at epicenter website im going by what is said on their website not where mother tree is grown.i consider any avo doing pretty well when able to handle temps under 25 degrees F.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
If epicenter said their tree did pretty well in 22degrees i have no reason not to beileve them if you refuse to believe them thats your choice, 22 f is plenty cold enough for what i want to grow in but im sure full mexicans can do even better still but only medium to large trees not fair to report death of anything very young and small trees, i still consider 22 in cold hardy group, if any one had a large boony doon die or major damage at 18 or 20 or 22 degree f.. i would love hear about it.aravaipa pic included graft getting a bit bigger.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:56:25 PM by Avoman »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
If anyone has a carolina, wilma, poncho, thoses are a few i would like to know about, seems like their mostly grown in texas.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
The important thing for those who do not have access to cold hardy avocados to start from seed is to get a good rootstock first.
Once that's done we can concentrate on grafting.
With the varieties present in this repertoire.
https://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/fruit/varieties_avocado.htm

According to my research aravaipa could resist until -10°C or -12°C but in what condition?
Grafted or not grafted?
If the rootstock is more fragile, then it is inevitable that the grafted variety will eventually die.

But even if indeed the climate in Korea is very cold for avocado, it can be possible with cold hardy avocados in unheated greenhouse.

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 11:00:48 PM »
Avoman, here's a video by Jerry Satterlee in Texas who grows each of the varieties you mentioned in his yard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rPwipvHBA). He has other videos on youtube as well. Based on his enthusiasm for Poncho, it's probably one of the better-tasting Texas/Mexican varieties. However, Bill Schneider, who grows several of these avocados commercially and only lives 20 miles or so from Mr. Satterlee, told me that Poncho didn't survive the cold at his own place in Devine--so I assume it's not quite as cold hardy as Wilma, Opal, Pryor, and the other types he has trademarked. I grow Wilma in Tucson and have posted about it on this forum in years past, if you want to search the topic.

Shiro, if you "micrograft" a cold-hardy scion as close as possible to the seed of a newly-sprouted rootstock seedling of a somewhat less-cold-hardy variety, you may be able to protect the rootstock from the cold by raising the soil level until the graft union is a couple inches underground. That way the rootstock stays entirely underground, and is never exposed to the colder, above-ground temperatures. And, even if the grafted variety is frozen to the ground, it may resprout from above the graft, preserving the desired variety. Additional "survival-level" protection can be gained by temporarily mounding mulch or soil higher around the trunk when a hard freeze is predicted.

Here's an example of the grafting technique I use ('Day' scion grafted onto'Wilma' seedling). To avoid contaminating the wound, don't raise the soil level until the graft union is completely healed. Another advantage of this type of grafting is that all the stored energy of the seed is channeled into growing the scion and healing the graft: