Author Topic: looking for Toona Sinensis  (Read 2381 times)

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
looking for Toona Sinensis
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
Hi All, I'd like to get some Chinese toon trees going. Has anyone propagated these? I've read that they root sucker. Might cuttings root? I can buy or trade. Thanks, D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: looking for Toona Sinensis
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
What a tree.You will really like this.
Im trying to grow both Toona Sinensis and Toona Cilliata ( australian red gold mahogany).
Toona cilliata has a viability of the seeds of only 2 weeks and  about T Sinensis i dont know how long but from maybe 10 different batches of seeds ive ordered none germinated no matter what i did( cold stratification,light and gibberelic acid soaking in various concentrations).
Now i found a source that sells seedlings 15 inch tall for 20 dollars and i think il buy from them.
This is really a rare and verry valuable tree.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 08:19:37 AM »
From what I have read, seeds are not the way to go. That's why I asked about root or stem cuttings. I'd like to get several going.
We have discussed genuine avellana before. I finally got a couple. Now I need to keep them alive....D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
From what I have read, seeds are not the way to go. That's why I asked about root or stem cuttings. I'd like to get several going.
We have discussed genuine avellana before. I finally got a couple. Now I need to keep them alive....D
Never fertilise Gevuina with something elese otther than foliar.
They like slightly acidic soil and at   first they germinate and grow easy but its a challenge to still have them alive after a year.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:58:09 PM »
You can use coffee grounds as fertiliser ( if you can consider that fertiliser) and it also keep the slugs away wich is verry important as i lost 60% of my plants because slugs like to eat Gevuinas.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
These gevuinas are small (10cm) seedlings. How long should I wait to fertilize them? Until I repot them? Should I soak coffee grounds in water and foliar feed? Should it be a weak solution?Thanks, D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »
These gevuinas are small (10cm) seedlings. How long should I wait to fertilize them? Until I repot them? Should I soak coffee grounds in water and foliar feed? Should it be a weak solution?Thanks, D
I use foliar solution for Rhododendron( Azalea) and the cofee grounds i add them like a mulch around the gevuina.
Did you had problems with snails eating them? Coffee grounds kills and keeps snails away.
You should never fertilise the Gevuinas in the soil and never plant them in soil mixed with manure because they will die.There are not beginer plants and are related with Leucadendron and Leucospermum wich is expert level.
I hope they grow well for you.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 06:53:15 PM »
These are my Gevuinas that passed the critical state of feeding from the seed nutrients.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »
They haven't been bothered by snails yet. I will have to pot them up soon. So use slightly acidic, unamended soil. Keep them in moderate shade. Do They like a lot of water? Thanks! D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:13 AM »
They haven't been bothered by snails yet. I will have to pot them up soon. So use slightly acidic, unamended soil. Keep them in moderate shade. Do They like a lot of water? Thanks! D
They are native to a wet area but can withstand somme drought.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »
We grow these for fresh herb marke t.  If you still need trees and can import them, send me an email.  formosaenvironments@gmail.com

We export from Taiwan, phytosanitary certificates available.