Author Topic: What a relief  (Read 1588 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
What a relief
« on: October 11, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »

My cherialta didn't have any low branches and couldn't stand without a stake.
I cut off all the scions and pugged it a couple weeks ago.
The picture in not great but there are 8 places it's pushing leaves

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: What a relief
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:32:51 PM »
nice stick!

lol

in a month or 2 will look completely different

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
Hi Mike,

Am glad there are signs of life !!  Were you able to salvage the scions you had to remove ? Once it recovers will you graft again ?

I have never grafted, but it looks like I am going to have to learn. My starfruit froze to the ground 3 years ago, and now that it has fruited, I realize the new growth is obviously the root stock which is not a sweet tasting fruit - it is only suitable for jam (which is yummy, btw) so not a total waste but am hoping I can get some scions of sweet varieties for the future. There are lots of branches for me to "practice" on.

So I will be back to 'school' in the spring  LOL

P J
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »
Don't wait until spring to get some practice time in.

If there is anything that you plant that you can graft right now, get some practice in; so that by the time spring rolls around, you have the cut down, wrapping the scion is not so awkward and you have some experience under your belt.  There are several good how-to videos but nothing better than having tried a couple by yourself.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
Thanks Orkine, I appreciate the advice.

P J, the Dirt Diva

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 11:14:53 PM »
Don't wait until spring to get some practice time in.

If there is anything that you plant that you can graft right now, get some practice in; so that by the time spring rolls around, you have the cut down, wrapping the scion is not so awkward and you have some experience under your belt.  There are several good how-to videos but nothing better than having tried a couple by yourself.  Good luck and keep us posted.

With Houston's cooler weather from here on out, would be hard to know if the practice is good practice cause chances of takes would be poor no matter how good you are.
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »
I should be more clear.

Practice making the cuts and tying the unions, even if what you are practicing on is not a variety you are trying to add to your collection. Just get the reps in so that come spring when you want to make your real grafts you are comfortable with your knife (or blade) and can secure the union properly. 

I remember my first few attempts at grafting, I had a nice new sharp grafting nice but my cuts left a lot to be desired.  With some practice, sometimes just on pruned branches, I got much better at making good clean cuts with fewer strokes.  I got a feel for how the knife handled and when it was time to sharpen the blade. In time, I gained confidence and my success rate went up.

My suggestion to PJ is to get some practice in, and out of the way, before he does it for real in spring.

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
I should be more clear.
Practice making the cuts and tying the unions, even if what you are practicing on is not a variety you are trying to add to your collection. Just get the reps in so that come spring when you want to make your real grafts you are comfortable with your knife (or blade) and can secure the union properly. 
I remember my first few attempts at grafting, I had a nice new sharp grafting nice but my cuts left a lot to be desired.  With some practice, sometimes just on pruned branches, I got much better at making good clean cuts with fewer strokes.  I got a feel for how the knife handled and when it was time to sharpen the blade. In time, I gained confidence and my success rate went up.
My suggestion to PJ is to get some practice in, and out of the way, before he does it for real in spring.
Thanks Orkine, 
that would be SHE not HE  LOL
I had already thought about branches that will not be the real target for practice. I have a roselle hibiscus that is almost ready for post harvest clean up and will be cut up for the compost bin anyway and will be perfect for this purpose. Searching now for the best beginner knife ... any suggestions ?  I will begin a new thread. Sorry Mike, it seems I  have usurped your relief thread unintentionally.

P J, the Dirt Diva

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »
Hi Mike,

I've got a piece of it here and pushing.  I hope it's more than residual energy.  The other two grafts are wilting unfortunately.  This was the one I had the least faith in.  Thanks again with sharing this budwood.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
Nice!!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
eNorm, how much time between the graft and the bud emerging.
That looks good.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:57:35 PM by Orkine »

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »
eNorm, how much time between the graft and the bud emerging.
That looks good.

Hi Orkine,

I don't have exact dates, but I estimate somewhere between 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before it started pushing.  It's mostly in the shade.  The other two that I grafted on a larger tree... I'm really surprised those failed.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »

Don’t lose hope, stick pic is when I bought it back in April, and night pics are tonight over 9ft tall and a fruit to boot. For me the cherilata grows like a weed, glad I have two in the ground. 👍

-joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk