Author Topic: Any drawback to Maha chanok?  (Read 11938 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Any drawback to Maha chanok?
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:33:11 AM »
I want to get a Maha chanok but told the husband I won’t plant any more fruit trees for a while... so before I sneak one in, I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to this mango? Any reason why I shouldn’t get it? Also I have read mixed information in regards to the growth and size of the tree. Some saw it is a slow growing dwarf while others say the opposite. Your input would be greatly appreciated :)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Any drawback to Maha chanok?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »
If you topwork a tree, you can keep your word regarding not planting any more fruit trees. That's what I did =)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:20:36 AM »
I want to get a Maha chanok but told the husband I won’t plant any more fruit trees for a while... so before I sneak one in, I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to this mango? Any reason why I shouldn’t get it? Also I have read mixed information in regards to the growth and size of the tree. Some saw it is a slow growing dwarf while others say the opposite. Your input would be greatly appreciated :)

From what I have seen in my yard, it is a slow to medium vigor tree. Not a Pickering or a Julie, but can be easily maintained at a manageable height. It took three years for the tree to flower, but it has been very productive since then. Top quality fruit. I do not see any drawbacks.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
Really nit picking here but needs direct sunlight to get pretty looking fruit (color/blush). Also, imo, needs 10-12ft space to grow. Though slowish growing, internodes are long. Otherwise...a solid mango cv.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »
The flavor is mild if eaten fully ripe. I almost didn't plant a maha, because the first few times I tried it, I ate them fully ripe and wasn't able to appreciate the flavor. When eaten slightly (ie, a day) under-ripe, you get the south east asian spice ("coca cola" flavor) plus some tart.

Not much to complain about otherwise.
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
Drawbacks? Yes.  It does not taste as good as a number of the new Zill varieties.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
I found it to be a good enough fruit and tree that I am planting 10 of them.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »
The lack of precocity can require some patience.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
It’s a slow grower in my yard and the flavor is mild compared to the other newer Zill varieties. I would rather plant Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Piña Colada, Peach Cobbler, etc...

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
True dat. Mine took a good 5 years to produce; didn't realize it was common to this cultivar.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 09:29:22 PM »
Have you eaten them at the "right" stage? I thought the same way for the first 3 years I tried it, until I finally keyed in on the right time to eat it.

Drawbacks? Yes.  It does not taste as good as a number of the new Zill varieties.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 11:47:18 PM »
True dat. Mine took a good 5 years to produce; didn't realize it was common to this cultivar.

I agree. My tree was a slow grower and flowered sparsely for the first time after three years from a 3 gallon, that too in August. It flowered during the normal mango season for the first time last year (after five years) and held onto a high number of mangoes. It looks like it is going to be another good year for the tree.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 06:56:05 AM »
Fairly slow grower here in Oz but the fruit do get a nice blush... Taste is good...... In Darwin a grower has put in a commercial orchard of them....... Mike

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 08:53:44 AM »
Funny how it was all the rage about six or seven years back, considered one of the very best mangos by forum members.  Now it's been relegated to a second tier position.  I guess it's still one of the prettiest mangos, and the tree is definitely compact and manageable.  Waiting for mine to bear--no fruit set this year.
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
Funny how it was all the rage about six or seven years back, considered one of the very best mangos by forum members.  Now it's been relegated to a second tier position.  I guess it's still one of the prettiest mangos, and the tree is definitely compact and manageable.  Waiting for mine to bear--no fruit set this year.

I remember all the hype as well. :)  I think it is a great mango, but does not belong to the top tier.  Another mango that everyone kept raving about , and one which was hard to get, was the Angie. I have one in the ground and it is fruiting for the first time this year. Has a lot of pretty looking fruits on it now. I got it based on the hype and i hope I won't be disappointed.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »
Still waiting on it to push something. 18 of 20 mango trees have blooms and one has leafed out nicely but still waiting on Maha...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
Hmm. I must have missed the memo, because I still think MC is a top tier mango.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »

It still is a great Mango, beautiful, smells amazing, tastes great but back when Harry and others were highly advocating for it, there weren’t all the newer Zill varieties. It’s still a great variety to have in a collection.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »

100% in agreement, we know taste is subjective. if someone likes mild mango this would be great for them. I like super sweet or super complex or both. Mild mangoes are not for me or my wife.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »

I remember all the hype as well. :)  I think it is a great mango, but does not belong to the top tier.  Another mango that everyone kept raving about , and one which was hard to get, was the Angie. I have one in the ground and it is fruiting for the first time this year. Has a lot of pretty looking fruits on it now. I got it based on the hype and i hope I won't be disappointed.

Do you like Carrie? If you do you’ll like Angie.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
Another mango that everyone kept raving about , and one which was hard to get, was the Angie. I have one in the ground and it is fruiting for the first time this year. Has a lot of pretty looking fruits on it now. I got it based on the hype and i hope I won't be disappointed.
I planted Angie as well, based on Richard Campbell's promoting it so grandly.  It's a good mango--beautiful large fruit, smooth and fiberless, acceptable flavor, manageable tree.  But nothing I would ever recommend based on flavor alone.  Carrie has got to be sweeter.
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »
Another mango that everyone kept raving about , and one which was hard to get, was the Angie. I have one in the ground and it is fruiting for the first time this year. Has a lot of pretty looking fruits on it now. I got it based on the hype and i hope I won't be disappointed.
I planted Angie as well, based on Richard Campbell's promoting it so grandly.  It's a good mango--beautiful large fruit, smooth and fiberless, acceptable flavor, manageable tree.  But nothing I would ever recommend based on flavor alone.  Carrie has got to be sweeter.

Carrie however has problems. For the last three years, the productivity of my tree, as well as at least 5-6 people I know, has gone down substantially, even though it flowers heavily. Too many male flowers. Alex also mentioned that the Carrie trees in his grove has the same issues. I am planning to topwork the tree, with other cultivars of similar growth habit.

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Had one before storm knocked it down. Solid producer and no disease issues. Taste was excellent.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
:D It's only mild when eaten at the wrong stage. I don't like mild mangoes myself. It took me several tastings before I found the sweet spot.

I think a lot of folks pan certain mangoes because they're eating them at the wrong stage. For example, I hear a lot of folks claiming that the nam doc mai is bland (just pure sweet). However, that's only true if eaten when fully yellow. If eaten at an earlier stage, it's actually an incredible mix of sweet and tart.

Maha Chanok tastes a lot like sweet tart when eaten at the right stage.

Carrie is another one that is compost fodder when eaten at the wrong stage, but quite delicious when eaten slightly green.

100% in agreement, we know taste is subjective. if someone likes mild mango this would be great for them. I like super sweet or super complex or both. Mild mangoes are not for me or my wife.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »
:D It's only mild when eaten at the wrong stage. I don't like mild mangoes myself. It took me several tastings before I found the sweet spot.

I think a lot of folks pan certain mangoes because they're eating them at the wrong stage. For example, I hear a lot of folks claiming that the nam doc mai is bland (just pure sweet). However, that's only true if eaten when fully yellow. If eaten at an earlier stage, it's actually an incredible mix of sweet and tart.

Maha Chanok tastes a lot like sweet tart when eaten at the right stage.

Carrie is another one that is compost fodder when eaten at the wrong stage, but quite delicious when eaten slightly green.

I agree. I think most mangos should be eaten slightly green.