Author Topic: Durio seeds to be sent from SE Asia to America-Germination Question  (Read 1772 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
On instagram, been seeing some videos of fruit hunters posting up vids of the durians (and other species) coming online this time of the year.  Tempted to ask them to sell me seeds.  But considering that the seeds germinate quickly, what is the typical experience of people having seeds sent to them in relation to germination in transit and ultimately getting confiscated by APHIS?  I only ask b/c I had a bad experience with Willughbeia last year and can't be 'wasting' money all the time to have some USDA agent destroying my shipment.

Which brings me to planning for a Borneo trip next year.  If I keep complaining about not getting what I want or about wanting to do it, might as well shut up and fly over there and experience it myself from a fruit perspective.   ;)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Durio seeds to be sent from SE Asia to America-Germination Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
I've had mixed results ordering durio seeds, but USDA confiscation has not been a major issue.  The problem I encounter most often is that the seeds are not correctly sterilized and packed, so they arrive rotten and horrible.  If you buy from this forum there are a number of reputable suppliers.  I'd strongly suggest working with them.  In general, they know how to pack these seeds for transport.  Also, be prepared to pay for expedited shipping - the quicker you get the seeds planted the more likely they will be viable.

Hope this helps :-)

Scott 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
The main problem is fungus growing on seeds that were not well cleaned. Pulp sticks a lot to the seed and is hard to get completely off. If they do a good job of  cleaning them then the second problem is that they start germinating in transit and they are seized by USDA, as germinated seeds are not allowed without a phyto.
So if you can get an excellent packer, they clean immediately after opening fruit, use very little moisture in packing, and use EMS shipping, then you stand a chance. I suggest you make a small order to try it out first.
Strangely enough some of the other species of durio last longer in mail than regular durian. So you have a better chance with these..
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
The main problem is fungus growing on seeds that were not well cleaned. Pulp sticks a lot to the seed and is hard to get completely off. If they do a good job of  cleaning them then the second problem is that they start germinating in transit and they are seized by USDA, as germinated seeds are not allowed without a phyto.
So if you can get an excellent packer, they clean immediately after opening fruit, use very little moisture in packing, and use EMS shipping, then you stand a chance. I suggest you make a small order to try it out first.
Strangely enough some of the other species of durio last longer in mail than regular durian. So you have a better chance with these..

The packer may be me.  Better start practicing!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:02:08 AM »
I'm planning a trip to Borneo this December. Just curious who you are following on IG who has been posting pictures of durian in season now?

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 04:38:06 AM »
I'm planning a trip to Borneo this December. Just curious who you are following on IG who has been posting pictures of durian in season now?

That polish girl and her friend plus Lindsay Gasik came to Hawaii the other week for the HTFG Conference.