Author Topic: Insects Are Hungry!  (Read 2555 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Insects Are Hungry!
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
My exoerience with all things mango is miniscule, so perhaps my concerns are unfounded.  But this winter I am being hit hard with a variety of pests.
My mango has whitefly designs all over its leaves; the Asian Grey Weevil is omnipresent, lots of ants at the base of the tree and on the tree; and recently I have noticed tiny black seed-like specs on the undersides of some leaves.  I've attached a photo.
First, what are these black things and, second, should I be concerned about the other insects that have moved into the neighborhood?

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: Insects Are Hungry!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
I feel your pain.  The more I look at my trees, the more pest/disease issues I find.
I can't help too much, but I suggest you get rid of the ants (they help protect the sucking insects) and  spray insecticidal soap on the white fly.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Insects Are Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
I can't help with the ID....but I can confirm having seen this before.  I have had good success with Neem Oil spray to control it.  Mango trees of any size won't really be adversely affected by this. But if you have a young/small tree, it can prevent the tree from thriving.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA