Author Topic: Comparison of Red Jackfruits  (Read 32393 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Comparison of Red Jackfruits
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
tasted Borneo Red at the fruit conference.

it was hands down one of the best jacks I've had...making the common ones taste like filth.

the only other jack I've had that I liked was "honey gold?"....it was super soft and sweet....much different than Borneo Red, but I really enjoy both.

I suppose the Red type of jacks don't get full coloration in FL...they fruit was orange.

Still I think it's ok to call them reds. Frankie's Ng's Red on Oahu doesn't turn a true red either. More of an orange / pink.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

it was hands down one of the best jacks I've had...making the common ones taste like filth.

the only other jack I've had that I liked was "honey gold?"....it was super soft and sweet....much different than Borneo Red, but I really enjoy both.

I suppose the Red type of jacks don't get full coloration in FL...they fruit was orange.

Still I think it's ok to call them reds. Frankie's Ng's Red on Oahu doesn't turn a true red either. More of an orange / pink.

Sorry to burst your Hawaiin bubble but the Red Morning, Excalibur Red and seedling of Red Morning posted on previous page are red, not orange.  Are they fire engine red, no but that is not the only shade of red in the color chart.  To see an orange jackfruit, a Mai 3, see JoeP450's avatar, link below.  Don't forget, cameras or cell phone cameras, which are used in most instances, do not always depict accurate coloration.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=104
- Rob

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »

Sorry to burst your Hawaiin bubble but the Red Morning, Excalibur Red and seedling of Red Morning posted on previous page are red, not orange.  Are they fire engine red, no but that is not the only shade of red in the color chart.  To see an orange jackfruit, a Mai 3, see JoeP450's avatar, link below.  Don't forget, cameras or cell phone cameras, which are used in most instances, do not always depict accurate coloration.

Lol no offense taken or bubble bursted, I see the picture, it looks deep yellow, slightly light orange to me. I have tried jackfruits with the same color and it was quite good. Another variety worth mentioning is Zieman's pink, because it too doesn't always have a true pink color, sometimes more orange as well. And What about the picture of small cempedak in my avatar? Mike T said its orange too? but its surely not the same color as the one you are referring to as orange in the picture provided. With this said it doesnt really bother me one way or another, its just bickering over color, color doesn't necessarily mean great tasting.Ive had several varieties and the one that sticks out as the tastiest was a yellow fleshed Tong Pilod from Frankies.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

Lol no offense taken or bubble bursted, I see the picture, it looks deep yellow, slightly light orange to me. I have tried jackfruits with the same color and it was quite good. Another variety worth mentioning is Zieman's pink, because it too doesn't always have a true pink color, sometimes more orange as well. And What about the picture of small cempedak in my avatar? Mike T said its orange too? but its surely not the same color as the one you are referring to as orange in the picture provided. With this said it doesnt really bother me one way or another, its just bickering over color, color doesn't necessarily mean great tasting.Ive had several varieties and the one that sticks out as the tastiest was a yellow fleshed Tong Pilod from Frankies.

Problem with the avatar pictures is that you can't click on them to see full size picture. 
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 05:14:16 PM »

Borneo Red doesn't get red anywhere. Chris Rollins, person who named it, must be a bit color blind?  ;) Seriously, many color descripitons of fruits aren't exactly accurate. Like why are white jaboticabas really green colored?  ???
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »

Borneo Red doesn't get red anywhere. Chris Rollins, person who named it, must be a bit color blind?  ;) Seriously, many color descripitons of fruits aren't exactly accurate. Like why are white jaboticabas really green colored?  ???

And green mulberries a creamy beigy white...
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »
And if every one had to take color-perception tests, there would be a lot of surprised persons.   I can see all the primary colors, so didn't think I had a problem, but a test showed me that I am unable to see some of the gradations within yellows, and within greens.
Har

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
We had load of threads here about red jacks and i have never ever seen a real red one. Red is for me firetruck red or ruby red, not orange or pink.

So i think this myth is busted, red jacks don't exist.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
To this day I still kick myself.... Last year I was at Excalibur and just by chance I opened the cooler and low and behold there was RED cleaned jackfruit pieces in a ziplock bag.....and I didn't even ask if it was for sale or I could try any, still regret that. But I have seen it, call it ruby red, fire truck red, or just red, it does exist, it wasn't pink and it wasn't orange like the mai 3 in my avatar.

-joep450

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
To this day I still kick myself.... Last year I was at Excalibur and just by chance I opened the cooler and low and behold there was RED cleaned jackfruit pieces in a ziplock bag.....and I didn't even ask if it was for sale or I could try any, still regret that. But I have seen it, call it ruby red, fire truck red, or just red, it does exist, it wasn't pink and it wasn't orange like the mai 3 in my avatar.

-joep450

Yes and every year they find new pictures of the sasquatsch and the monster of logness.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 12:07:20 AM »

-joep450

Yes and every year they find new pictures of the sasquatsch and the monster of logness.

Dude, don't critcize when you are uneducated.   As I have said, and I have seen, cut, eaten and sold MANY RED jackfruits.   You dont have to believe it but dont come on here calling people liars.  Joe is correct, as is Natalie and others in Florida who have seen it.  Oh, l guess I should let you know, the red Jackfruit being grown at Excalibur came from Thailand.   Guess you just dont have the right contacts.

Pics or it didn't happen.

This is red

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:10:39 AM by bangkok »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 12:12:52 AM »

-joep450

Dude, don't critcize when you are uneducated.   As I have said, and I have seen, cut, eaten and sold MANY RED jackfruits.   You dont have to believe it but dont come on here calling people liars.  Joe is correct, as is Natalie and others in Florida who have seen it.  Oh, l guess I should let you know, the red Jackfruit being grown at Excalibur came from Thailand.   Guess you just dont have the right contacts.

This is red

Pictures already happened. You just didn't happen.  ::) Rob posted one already, google it.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 12:15:34 AM »

-joep450

This is red

Pictures already happened. You just didn't happen.  ::) Rob posted one already, google it.

So this is what you call red??

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »

this is ruby red

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:33:29 AM by bangkok »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 02:10:41 AM »

this is ruby red

You are stubbornly stuck that there is only one red.  You post many thing, many that are unbelievable with no pictures to back it up.  I posted a picture and at least three members h ave seen it in person and can verify its color.  Natalie has posted a picture showing and stating uts red.  Joe has posted tgat h e saw red jackfruit.  Are we all conspiring against you?  Not exactly.  Facts are facts, the jackfruit is red.  Again, maybe you should get around your country more and/or make better contacts instead of incessive challanges behind a keyboard and monitor.

Neither myself nor other confirming member need to provide any further evidence.  We have proven our posts as accurate.  But, keep in mind, whats good for the goose is good for the gander so keep that in mind next time you post your unbelievable or questionable posts...
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 02:37:14 AM »

this is ruby red

You are stubbornly stuck that there is only one red.  You post many thing, many that are unbelievable with no pictures to back it up.  I posted a picture and at least three members h ave seen it in person and can verify its color.  Natalie has posted a picture showing and stating uts red.  Joe has posted tgat h e saw red jackfruit.  Are we all conspiring against you?  Not exactly.  Facts are facts, the jackfruit is red.  Again, maybe you should get around your country more and/or make better contacts instead of incessive challanges behind a keyboard and monitor.

Neither myself nor other confirming member need to provide any further evidence.  We have proven our posts as accurate.  But, keep in mind, whats good for the goose is good for the gander so keep that in mind next time you post your unbelievable or questionable posts...

Right,

I might be uneducated in your opinion but i know pretty well what ruby red is, as i showed you. Your jackfruit is not ruby red simple as that, no bs about that.

I have seen loads of ruby red jackfruits on pictures, those shops were selling the jackfruit tree's and had photoshopped the pic. You can go see them on chatuchak market in bangkok on wednesday. It is daeng suria and i also have bought and eaten that fruit from or-tor-kor fruitmarket in Bangkok. It was the same color as your jack which is not ruby red.

Also the taste of the daeng suria jack really disappointed me but that might be because it was not fully ripe as you won't expect on that quality fruitmarket. It is the best known fruitmarket from asia, google that.

For the rest i have no idea what unbelievable storys without pics you are talking bout but if you can name them i will still find pics for you. That mangosteen really is quiet something isn't it? I pray it really fruits soon and will start buying land in Florida  ;D

One day i bought a red lobster durian in Singapore, it was yellow/orange. Not like that durianpic i posted above but light orange. It was an official red lobster durian.

Look if you americans call this as a red jackfruit then go ahead, they do the same in thailand but it is not ruby red. I would call it orange/red and if you think that's stubborn then i think thats bs.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »
 Rob,

I have a question, Does red jackfruit seedling come true to type (same fruit color as the mother tree) ?.

Thanks
Mohd
Moh'd

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Rob,

I have a question, Does red jackfruit seedling come true to type (same fruit color as the mother tree) ?.

Thanks
Mohd

Yes that's a good question, i had a grafted Suria daeng but after i ate that fruit i killed the tree. Yellow jacks taste much better.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
Hey Bangkok,

I can see your point to the extent that I cannot sway your opinion as I don't have an actual picture to prove what I saw, and you have every right to be be a skeptic on that basis.

Seriously though as soon as I do get a picture, you will be the first to be notified! ; )

I called Excalibur today, spoke to rob and he said there are some red morning ripening on their tree so with that I'm going to make a personal effort and call them every few days so I can get my hands on some, take the pictures and post on the forum. I havnt personally tried it yet and I definitely want to know for myself if it beats out Bangkok lemon and Mai 3 taste wise. 

Will keep ya'll posted,

-joep450

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
What is your freaking fascination wi f2f h g he color ruby red?
- Rob

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
Hey Bangkok,

I can see your point to the extent that I cannot sway your opinion as I don't have an actual picture to prove what I saw, and you have every right to be be a skeptic on that basis.

Seriously though as soon as I do get a picture, you will be the first to be notified! ; )

I called Excalibur today, spoke to rob and he said there are some red morning ripening on their tree so with that I'm going to make a personal effort and call them every few days so I can get my hands on some, take the pictures and post on the forum. I havnt personally tried it yet and I definitely want to know for myself if it beats out Bangkok lemon and Mai 3 taste wise. 

Will keep ya'll posted,

-joep450

Hi Joe,
Well i decided to call this myth of the red jack closed because i have never seen one in 2-3 years reading this forum and searching the streets of bangkok. Red is not orange, simple as that.

If you have a really red one (and don't photoshop the pic) then of course we all want to see that. Also i m pretty sure people will buy it for the color only, my advise is to taste the fruit first before buying the tree.

Who cares if it is red or orange, the taste is what counts the most for me. Jackfruits (in Thailand) are really supernice fruits, on the same level as mangosteens for me. You have to eat them from a good seller who knows what he is doing. Good sellers have a bunch of jacks behind their stand so they can always serve a perfect ripe one. Also the good sellers have a queue waiting for them while the seller next to him might have nothing to do.

So i hope that  highly educated fruittree salesman from Fairchild nursery's now knows what ruby red is. That was my point.

In Thailand there is no bangkok lemon jackfruit. Those names are made up in the US i guess so they can link themselves to Thailand. In bangkok we eat the yellow crunchy ones and some old people still prefer the orange sloppy ones but they are hard to find these days.

We eat Pet raa chaa jackfruit or thongprasert because that's what sold everywhere and very nice if you know where to buy them. Just look where it is busy, the same as finding good restaurants.

Hi bangkok, this isn't true necessarily about the names we have in the US,, while you may not have bangkok lemon, As i have mentioned in another thread we have Thong prassert in hawaii  we also have Tong Pilod, and a Tong Tao we chao which is a semi dwarf tree with smaller fruits.., Basically if it already has a name and that is known to the collector he/she will most likely keep that name

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2014, 12:11:23 AM »
We had load of threads here about red jacks and i have never ever seen a real red one. Red is for me firetruck red or ruby red, not orange or pink.

So i think this myth is busted, red jacks don't exist.
To this day I still kick myself.... Last year I was at Excalibur and just by chance I opened the cooler and low and behold there was RED cleaned jackfruit ' pieces in a ziplock bag.....and I didn't even ask if it was for sale or I could try any, still regret that. But I have seen it, call it ruby red, fire truck red, or just red, it does exist, it wasn't pink and it wasn't orange like the mai 3 in my avatar.

-joep450

I just can't bring myself to believe that there are no 'red' jackfruits. I've come to the conclusion that there are 'reddish' jackfruits here in Florida, USA. The popularity of the jackfruit fruit is increasing everyday and I'm sure the ones with 'very red color' will soon appear at the forefront, front & center and in the middle of the spotlight.

That's a great and welcomed news/report by joep450, on the RED coloration descriptions that he's seen here in Florida: RED, ruby red, fire truck red or just red; thank you for not describing it as 'red rum' red.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »
It has been years before this thread was created.

As for comparison through the years may differ since then.

I was wondering what are the updates of which red jak's are superior.

Thank u

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
I guess no updates. :(