Author Topic: SoCal Desert Mango Tasting Event 072313  (Read 10272 times)

fruitnut

• willow Grove, Pa/7b
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Desert Mango Tasting Event 072313
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 11:44:08 PM »
Looked like you guys had fun.  I would rather taste test the mangos than go to napa valley to taste test the wine.
You guys should tried unriped mangoes dipped in a mixture of salt and hot pepper!  The combination of sour from the mango along with the saltiness and the hot of the pepper will make your saliva running.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
Looked like you guys had fun.  I would rather taste test the mangos than go to napa valley to taste test the wine.
You guys should tried unriped mangoes dipped in a mixture of salt and hot pepper!  The combination of sour from the mango along with the saltiness and the hot of the pepper will make your saliva running.

We have street vendors all over the place selling mangos with salt,chilly powder and lemon for a few bucks..

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
sorry for posting late, but it was truly an amazing event! if you take a tour of Gary's orchard you will find growing mangoes in your yard a piece of cake seriously! It takes a lot to keep plants alive, let alone create a microclimate with humidity where humidity otherwise is under 5%. Way to go Gary!

There is more to come from JF and specially Cuban007 that is going gung-ho on mangoes! each year with bigger group we should be adding more mangoes to the list, it will all depend on when these ripe.

I might try to do Cherimoya tasting later this year if my cocktail trees hold all the fruit that are now smiling in my yard!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »
sorry for posting late, but it was truly an amazing event! if you take a tour of Gary's orchard you will find growing mangoes in your yard a piece of cake seriously! It takes a lot to keep plants alive, let alone create a microclimate with humidity where humidity otherwise is under 5%. Way to go Gary!

There is more to come from JF and specially Cuban007 that is going gung-ho on mangoes! each year with bigger group we should be adding more mangoes to the list, it will all depend on when these ripe.

I might try to do Cherimoya tasting later this year if my cocktail trees hold all the fruit that are now smiling in my yard!

Gary is the hardest working mango grower in Socal and Cuban007 is a close second. They have  persevered and endured in spite of tremendous overwhelming odds.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Why Behl and JF....ya'll needn't say such kind things..... :-[   ???   ;)

So glad you could make it and hope you all come back next year!!!

By the way, that Keitt that was too hard to eat at the tasting, I had last night - sweet, some complexity and spice, very delish!!!!!!!  And the night before, another Maha Chanok - tree-ripened this time, and it actually fell to the ground (picture below), MUCH better than the one we all ate - sweet and uniquely mild, and buttery, might have even been a bit over-ripe.....now 3 left on the tree.....

Gary

catfat112

• Ventura, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »
Is there anyway I can get some rosigold seeds
Email me at jonathanburton805@gmail.com
~ Jonathan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk