Author Topic: 2015 UC Cherimoya tasting!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 17935 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
2015 UC Cherimoya tasting!!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:21:11 AM »
Had to start it.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Re: 2015 UC Cherimoya tasting!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
Had to end it  ;D

since I'm not eating any this year.

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »
Pumped, can't wait to sample them!

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
In line now, and hungry lol....  less varieties this year unfortunately.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
What are the details about this tasting (where/when/how)?  I've never eaten a good Cherimoya, and so have sort of written them off, but maybe I just need to try a good one?

Eirlis

• Lake Forest, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
I went and bought a bag to take home!

Most of the varieties were too sweet for me, but #10 was a delicious balance between sweet, tart, and slightly spicy. It was much more complex than any of the others. I saved a few seeds from it. Does anyone else who went know what variety it was?

This was my first time tasting a Cherimoya. Some were cloyingly sweet or tasted too much like overripe banana. Some were very soft and mushy (overripe?) and some were beautifully firm and creamy. I planted a Pierce this year since the description said it was balanced between sweet and sour which is definitely what I prefer. Hopefully I made the right choice. =)

Also, all of the fruit in the bag I bought are very hard. I assume that means they aren't ripe yet? How do I know when they are ripe?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:49:31 PM »

Most of the varieties were too sweet for me, but #10 was a delicious balance between sweet, tart, and slightly spicy. It was much more complex than any of the others. I saved a few seeds from it. Does anyone else who went know what variety it was?

This was my first time tasting a Cherimoya. Some were cloyingly sweet or tasted too much like overripe banana. Some were very soft and mushy (overripe?) and some were beautifully firm and creamy. I planted a Pierce this year since the description said it was balanced between sweet and sour which is definitely what I prefer. Hopefully I made the right choice. =)

Also, all of the fruit in the bag I bought are very hard. I assume that means they aren't ripe yet? How do I know when they are ripe?

While Pierce has a subacid component, when its good it is also very sweet.

Just let the moyas sit on your counter till they soften to the touch (but not mushy).  Then eat or refrigerate and eat.  I, personally, feel they taste better once chilled (which is odd since I prefer to eat mangoes not chilled).
- Rob

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
#8!!!!!'n mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »
Yeah 8 was delicious I thought 2 was the best though!

Eirlis

• Lake Forest, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »
Was #2 also a bit tart? One of the first 3 was... can't remember which.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »

Me and Ashok believed #10 was Pierce, arguably the greatest Cherimoya of them all next to El Bumpo.....   
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
I  enjoyed #6 definitely El Bumpo, #10 possibly Pierce, #8 ???, and #3 and #2 had a  very nice acidic flavor to them, was wondering if they were Chaffey or edit***Fino de Jete... I was disappointed that the legendary Pink Fleshed Selma wasn't there  :'(

Guys if you only tried 1 sample of each number, chances are you may have not gotten a really good specimen of that variety. After trying at least 5 samples of each variety there, usually half of them were ether unripe/overripe and bland in flavor.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:00:26 PM by ClayMango »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 04:59:40 PM »
Some pics of the tasting including myself, JF, and Ashok...great guys.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »
Some pics of the tasting including myself, JF, and Ashok...great guys.

Great pix Clay! and thank you for defending our country and keeping us safe, Sailor! Very valiant effort by SCREC on a very scarce year for Cherimoya needless to say, the tasting was underwhelming compare to years pass. My favorites were El Bumpo and Fino. IMO, El Bumpo has reclaimed top honors this year follow by Behl and Super African Pride( atemoya) that's right folks this might be the future in our ever changing climate. I went to Wholesome foods this afternoon and Santa Barbara Exotic wanted $10 for a cherimoya,$7.79 a pound!!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »
#6 was bumpy, yes. But it was sour when I ate it. It could be that crappy oxhart.
#2 was very sweet even though it was underripe and hard. Might be Pierce or honeyhart.
#10 was a little too mildly sweet for me but had a nice papaya flavor. I think it's too mild for pierce.

I bought a small and a large bag. Same as supermarket price but it's nice to support their good efforts. It'll be harder to show my support if they price it higher next time. Turns out the small bag weighed more than half of the large bag.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
One of the problem with the tasting is that some of the fruits were overriped.   I know that it is an inherent problem to any tasting.  That's why I like number 3 for the sweetness any slightly chewy texture.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:37 PM »
One of the problem with the tasting is that some of the fruits were overriped.   I know that it is an inherent problem to any tasting.  That's why I like number 3 for the sweetness any slightly chewy texture.

I had  quite  a few samples of 3...I think 3 and 2 had a nice acidic sweet taste to it.....2 being a bit stronger

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 11:36:45 PM »
#6 was bumpy, yes. But it was sour when I ate it. It could be that crappy oxhart.
#2 was very sweet even though it was underripe and hard. Might be Pierce or honeyhart.
#10 was a little too mildly sweet for me but had a nice papaya flavor. I think it's too mild for pierce.

I bought a small and a large bag. Same as supermarket price but it's nice to support their good efforts. It'll be harder to show my support if they price it higher next time. Turns out the small bag weighed more than half of the large bag.

how many lbs in each of the bags? I think they limit 1 bag per customer? I think the big bags are maybe 10 lbs? not sure.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Hi, Clay are the pics, in order with the names left to right, just trying to associate a name with a face. I which the tasting had been here in Florida.
 I still think that I have the best tasting Annona Reticulata a ( Cherimoya ) to me, the one that I have tastes like fresh squeezed Sugar Cane juice, also  I hope that some of the Scions , that I had sent JF took so you guys on the west coast can taste an awesome  fruit soon.
By the way great Pics.
Thank you for posting them
Caribbean Carlo

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Hi, Clay are the pics, in order with the names left to right, just trying to associate a name with a face. I which the tasting had been here in Florida.
 I still think that I have the best tasting Annona Reticulata a ( Cherimoya ) to me, the one that I have tastes like fresh squeezed Sugar Cane juice, also  I hope that some of the Scions , that I had sent JF took so you guys on the west coast can taste an awesome  fruit soon.
By the way great Pics.
Caribbean Carlo

Carlo, your spelling of "cherimoya" should be "chirimoya"
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:42 AM »
By the way great Pics.
Caribbean Carlo

LOL Cacarlo...You are sadly mistaken my friend... Out of all the Annonas: Sugar apple, Sour sop, Atemoyas, Rollinas, Cherimoya, and any others, the Cherimoya stands in a  class of its called the God Tier.....nothing can rival it's creamy texture in which you eat with a  spoon, the flavor is amazing with a nice balance or sweetness and acidity, although some can be overbearingly sweet.

Pics- Ashok is on the left, me in the middle, JF on the right in the Pic

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
Clay - as you are new to this, you message regarding quality contains some merit but not 100% agreeable my some.  There are other annonas that will and do rival the cherimoya.   Dont get me wrong, many cherimoya are amazing and as good as some of the best fruits however your tadtings are limited to what you have sampled in your location.   The ilama, while different and not comparable to any other annona, is amongst as good as the best cherimoya.   There are also some su g ar apples, especially some found in Australia and possibly some other locations.   Therecare also some amazing custard apples.

Your comment about overbearingly sweet, some enjoy that more than ones that are mildly sweet.  Just as some enjoy sour fruits.  I have encountered some who state some mangoes, some that are drooled over by the Californian members on this forum, whonstate that they dont like them cause they are too sweet.  My point, there is no right or wrong with respect to flavor, tastw characteristics and sweetness.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
Clay - as you are new to this, you message regarding quality contains some merit but not 100% agreeable my some.  There are other annonas that will and do rival the cherimoya.   Dont get me wrong, many cherimoya are amazing and as good as some of the best fruits however your tadtings are limited to what you have sampled in your location.   The ilama, while different and not comparable to any other annona, is amongst as good as the best cherimoya.   There are also some su g ar apples, especially some found in Australia and possibly some other locations.   Therecare also some amazing custard apples.

Your comment about overbearingly sweet, some enjoy that more than ones that are mildly sweet.  Just as some enjoy sour fruits.  I have encountered some who state some mangoes, some that are drooled over by the Californian members on this forum, whonstate that they dont like them cause they are too sweet.  My point, there is no right or wrong with respect to flavor, tastw characteristics and sweetness.

Touche, Touche.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Hey guys right or wrong, Chirimoya , Cherimoya , they are all great fruits of the Gods. And  you are right Rob, is up to the persons palate, some like it sweet some sour, some like Sugar others like Salt. Anyway I have an Annona Reticulata that will rival many Cherimoyas, no grit creamy, sweet as Sugar, there are some guys growing  Trees from my seeds and also some have done Graft's, soon everyone will know about this great fruit. Hopefully I will send some fruit out for tasting this Summer, to some of you guys.
By the way as a kid  I grew up throwing rocks at the Cherimoya, and Guanabanas trees ,to get them to fall to the ground.
Caribbean Carlos

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
...  Trees from my seeds and also some have done Graft's, soon everyone will know about this great fruit. Hopefully I will send some fruit out for tasting this Summer, to some of you guys.
By the way as a kid  I grew up throwing rocks at the Cherimoya, and Guanabanas trees ,to get them to fall to the ground.
Caribbean Carlos
Carlos, I have grafted scions that I bought from you onto a San Pablo and the grafts are doing fine. Hoping for fruits this coming Summer/Falls.

I missed the cherimoya tasting again this year, but not really regretting it as my usual supplier has had a good year with his grove. For me, El Bumpo is (still) the King of 2014 Cherimoyas although several heavyweight contenders didn't really make it this year namely San Mateo/Cumbe and Behl.
Thera

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk