Author Topic: What's going on with my avocado tree  (Read 2988 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
What's going on with my avocado tree
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:32:54 PM »
Hi all, i planted a Florida Hass a little over 3 months ago.  Per instructions I watered daily for the first month, every other day for the 2nd month and every 3rd day for the 3rd month.   In addition, the tree has been getting some daily water from rotors since we had sod installed a few months ago.  I've also been giving it fertilizer once a month for the past few months also per instruction (this was from Fruit Scapes on Pine Island and per Jess' instructions for those of you that know Jess). About a month ago or so we started noticing the plant dropping a lot of leaves...the remaining leaves have a lot of brown spots.  There are what look like buds at the ends of the branches but so far no new growth.

Interestingly we also had a Sweet Tart mango that was planted about a month after this tree.  It too lost most of its leaves but they were all replaced by new leaves.

Any idea what might be going on here?  Pests?  Too much water?  Not the right kind of water?  (this is well water which in these parts isn't the best quality water)

For some reason I can't get images to work on this forum, here's a link:

http://imgur.com/a/p0bre

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with my avocado tree
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:01:25 PM »
A lot of Cape Coral home wells are salty enough to kill avocado and other fruit trees. Salt injury to leaves makes the ends turn brown. I hand water all my trees with Revere osmosis water from my whole house system until they are established. I lost my first round of trees due to salty well water.I had some leaf tip damage like you,but as soon as I added fertilizer, the total salt content was enough to kill trees.. I am on the Western end of the Cape near Matlacha. Supposed to get city water here a couple years ago.... The local soil excavated from digging the canal systems is really horrible stuff too,I gave up on avocados after several rounds of slowly declining trees.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »
Sounds like overwatering. Avocados are sensitive to wet feet. Probably same issue with ST. I usually hold off on fertilizer for a few months as roots sometimes gets damaged during planting and there is an imbalance between the top and roots. Fertilizer during this transitional period can be detrimental unless you know what you're doing.

Simon

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
Shoot.  Do you think this tree is salvageable?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:06 PM »
Picture is worth 1000 words
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
I just saw the picture, looks like salt/fertilizer burn on the Avocado. If you have sandy soil, the watering schedule may be ok, I'm not familiar with sandy soils.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:24:31 PM »
Wind burn did that to the leaves on my Day avocado tree.  All the old branches died, and I had to cut them off.  All new growth has sprouted, and the tree is looking healthy for now.
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 11:39:02 PM »
I just found the photo too :) doh

Looks like salt burn.  The lawn and the lake are not good signs for avocado growing.  Too much water, not allowed to dry out.  Compound that with low quality water.  Are you using a west indian rootstock?  You said its a florida hass, what is that? 
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »
Agree with above, but just so you know avocados usually have very ugly leaves. They start off lush and green and as they mature it is very common for them to have some growing at the tips, then they fall off and coat the base of the tree acting as a natural mulch. They grow in waves- flush of leaves which grow, get burnt st the tips, maybe fall off, then flush again. My biggest tree was bare for a few weeks while flowering and now is pushing out leaves again.

I do think your landscaping is too lush for avocado but I think it can still grow. It will be a little scraggly for now based off of the shape I see. I try and have mine more bushy because our July -august- September hot spells will give 100 degree weather that burns the trunk. The fuller I can get it with leaves, the more I can sacrifice them to shade the trunk (or I can whitewash it ...)

Avocados are pretty tough trees I've found, especially the larger ones. If you see little buds on the sides of the green wood, then they should slowly push their way out.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
Hope that tree is on W. Indies rootstock like Waldin.   However most of the avocado tree roots are shallow and it looks like you're a good 3' above the water line.  Where's the water table?  One way to find out is with a post hole digger.

Do you have a water analysis for the water source you're using? 

It's my understanding that Hass is not a good match for Florida. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
The variety "Florida Hass" is not Hass.  Carlos had terrible results with it in Homestead, but in other locations it's been much better.
John

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
Your house is in a beautiful location, i wouldn't worry about an avocado tree.😀

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
Hope that tree is on W. Indies rootstock like Waldin.   However most of the avocado tree roots are shallow and it looks like you're a good 3' above the water line.  Where's the water table?  One way to find out is with a post hole digger.

My understanding is the FL Hass uses a different root stock, that's how it was explained to me.  Good question on the water table...I'm not sure  I'm guessing it's a ways down there because when my royal palms were planted down by the seawall they dug deep holes and didn't hit water.  The tree is set back a ways from the seawall so it's at a higher elevation than the palms.

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
Your house is in a beautiful location, i wouldn't worry about an avocado tree.😀

Thank you.   :)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »

My understanding is the FL Hass uses a different root stock, that's how it was explained to me.  Good question on the water table...I'm not sure  I'm guessing it's a ways down there because when my royal palms were planted down by the seawall they dug deep holes and didn't hit water.  The tree is set back a ways from the seawall so it's at a higher elevation than the palms.
Makes no sense. Root stocks are selected for the location of the tree not for cultivar. If you get clarification for this let me know always open to learn.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County